The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Ford Ecoboost - engine failure

Comments

• agrinnall wrote: »
    I suspect that for cars the percentage suffering from some sort of defect is not that far off 100%. To expect only 0.00034% to have a defect is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Absolutely. It's 100%.
  • I work with manufacturers of all sizes from <1m to >1bn in all industries, and not one of them reaches anything close to 3.4/1 mi defects - quoting an arbitrary, ambitious target from a continuous improvement goal doesn't mean Ford or any other automotive manufacturer are working towards or expecting to reach a 6σ goal - if they did, there would be far fewer car dealerships in existence as the incidences of failure in vehicles wouldn't support the size of the networks.

Fair enough on the 6 sigma target.

But also, Ecoboost sold world wide cover not only the 1.0L version with the issue in the Focus. There are many other sizes, 1.5, 2.0 and larger. So that makes your figure even smaller.
    Peace.
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    I suspect that for cars the percentage suffering from some sort of defect is not that far off 100%. To expect only 0.00034% to have a defect is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Of course... but I'm talking about a £5000 bill for replacing the failed engine block between 15k and 60k miles on the clock.

That should be close to very very uncommon?
    Peace.
  • Of course... but I'm talking about a £5000 bill for replacing the failed engine block between 15k and 60k miles on the clock.

That should be close to very very uncommon?

Tell that to BMW, Jaguar, or any of the other Nikasil users.

330 failed ecoBoost motors is well within the realms of how many I'd expect just to be abused or misused from even 100K sold. I'd wager more than 0.33% of car buyers never check the oil, tyres, coolant, etc, etc.
  • Tell that to BMW, Jaguar, or any of the other Nikasil users.

330 failed ecoBoost motors is well within the realms of how many I'd expect just to be abused or misused from even 100K sold. I'd wager more than 0.33% of car buyers never check the oil, tyres, coolant, etc, etc.

Ok, so what percentage of failed engines do you think would be reported on a Facebook group page on the topic? My guess is quite a low percentage.

Also, many of the cars had full Ford service history.
    Peace.
  • Ok, so what percentage of failed engines do you think would be reported on a Facebook group page on the topic? My guess is quite a low percentage.

Also, many of the cars had full Ford service history.

I wouldn't know, but the amount of advertising you're doing alone will push the number up.

FSH does not reliability make. Turbocharged engines very often burn oil. A car that only has its bonnet lifted once a year at a service and is never checked in between could be running with no lubricant for all the owner cares.
  • I wouldn't know, but the amount of advertising you're doing alone will push the number up.

FSH does not reliability make. Turbocharged engines very often burn oil. A car that only has its bonnet lifted once a year at a service and is never checked in between could be running with no lubricant for all the owner cares.

FSH does Fords responsibility make.

Without a FSH Ford CRC claim they have no responsibility and refuse to pay for a full engine replacement... but even then... if people stand up and quote the Facebook page and follow the instructions on the pinned post people save £4000-5000.

The advertising is intentional as an alturistic act to pass on the help I had from one of the original victims of this terrible mess. If the customer service was good it would be bearable but people have to fight and often wait weeks without a courtesy car.
    Peace.
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Strider590 wrote: »
    I would be more concerned about a cheaply produced turbo, fitted to an engine subject higher RPMs that that of a Diesel.
    It has become clear to me that unlike other makes, Ford don't build their cars to last even 1000 miles more than they're designed for.

I have a Mondeo and the build quality and attention to detail is sorely lacking when compared to my old Vectra. Even stupid things like not designing proper covers for access to the tail lights via the boot, not having seatbelts that are held out of the way when dropping the rear seats forward, a great big hole just in front of the drivers seat containing a channel for cables where once stepped on the carpet gets ripped up, and under the hood plastic clips/screws holding everything in place, very easily broken/damaged.

Interesting comment and one which I am interested in as am currently considering buying a 1.0 ecoboost. What is the general consensus of how long they build them to last, in mileage terms?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 10 January 2018 at 2:45PM
    adonis10 wrote: »
    Interesting comment and one which I am interested in as am currently considering buying a 1.0 ecoboost. What is the general consensus of how long they build them to last, in mileage terms?
    Everything Strider590 posts needs to be taken somewhat with a pinch of salt.

My previous car was a 2004 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 130 Ghia. I bought it at 3 years old on 90,000 miles. I kept it 5 years, sold it at 8 years old with over 168,000 miles on the clock. Still on original clutch, turbo, injectors, EGR valve. Other than service items it required an alternator, a battery, one rear brake caliper, a plastic turbo intercooler hose and rear subframe bushes. Check for yourself on the MOT history page: Reg EG04DVP

Current car is a 2010 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 140 Zetec. I bought it at 2 years old with 38,000 on the clock. I've done almost 89,000 miles in the last 5 years and it has just passed its MOT this morning with no advisories at 126,735 miles. It is still on original clutch, turbo, EGR valve, injectors and DPF filter. Other than service items all it has had is bonnet catch replaced under recall due to design change, one trailing link arm bush at 70,000 miles, and in the last couple of months a battery and a track rod end.

In both cases both of those vehicles were serviced at standard manufacturers intervals by local main Ford dealer despite the mileage as Ford services are actually quite well priced.

So there are two cars that are well over what is considered the lifetime of a vehicle. No idea how long my current Mondeo will last but if it is anything like the last one I've still got a fair few years left.
  • adonis10 wrote: »

Look here and make your own mind up...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

Engines can fail from 15k onwards... plus terrible customer service.
    Peace.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport