married tax allowance query

13»

Comments

• the future benefit is less important but must mean that my tax allowance will increase to around 13700 for tax year 19/20.

No it won't. Receiving Marriage Allowance does not entitle you to any additional allowances.

Ultimately it may not make any difference but receiving Marriage Allowance means you are entitled to a tax deduction off your overall tax liability (£250 in 2019:20)

For some people Marriage Allowance being a tax reducer makes a significant difference (disadvantage) although for most it doesn't really make any difference.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 November 2018 at 9:18PM
    just picked up all the comments and found them useful. thank you. . I did state initially that our claim could be backdated to 2015 resulting in the payment of 900. anyway i will find out as making the call at the weekend with hubby. his income will not be adversly affected as he is well under the 11.850 pa and will remain so being on pension and savings only. The 900 does include this tax year and the future benefit is less important but must mean that my tax allowance will increase to around 13700 for tax year 19/20.

You've clearly not understood how MAT works.

The party who elects for MAT has their personal allowances reduced by a set amount. The other party receives a set payment derived from the same amount.

The elector may then find that their assessment alters as a result of their reduced personal allowances - but the other party sees no change in their personal allowance and therefore no change in their assessment whatsoever.
  • went on phone together with hubby and sorted this out very easily. The issue of not living together did not come up. My tax code has been amended and I will shortly receive three years backdated cheque.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure