Mortgage for Self Employed & How to Prove Income - Help

Comments

• Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Many if us on this site do understand the difference between taxable expenses/profit and cash expenses/profit. However that doesn't change the lending criteria of the mortgage companies so there's no point getting so annoyed with everyone.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • We are in the same boat so to speak, but there is only my husband working, I have put into calculators our income from last year up til now and see we can borrow up to 306k!! BUT if I put in the figures our accountant has given us that will be on the SA302 from this year (so far) then the banks calculators are only willing to give us 147k!
    That is with putting the income in but divided by 2 as I am a 50% share holder in the company (limited) as everything including dividends are split equally as to avoid paying into the higher tax bracket. luckily enough though we only want to take a mortgage for £127,500.
    I know it's the way it's done etc and there is nothing we can do about it, so just have to suck it up! Like you our bank statements confirm we live a comfortable and lavish lifestyle but on paper.....not so much!

If you find a way round it or any lenders that are more sympathetic to self-employed please give me a shout, I have left our stuff with our broker (3rd one lucky?!) to hopefully find a solution for us! It's a new build we are after with the help of the Scottish governments "help to buy -equity loan" builds won't be ready till end of the year, so plenty time to save up some more, but I'm terrified to reserve a plot and pay the reservation fee to find at the end of the year when we make our mortgage application there is no way in hell we would get it :( I have a default on my file due to drop off next may so hoping this doesn't make a complicated situation even more so.

We just want a home to call our own that we can grow old in with our 3 children.

Best of luck bobwilson!
  • Cazza
    Cazza Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 February 2014 at 12:05PM
    OP, I am both CeMAP qualified and a chartered accountant.

By and large if you read a lender's lending policy guidance notes the detail will state that their calculations will be based on UK taxable income. If you are self-employed an SA302 is the method by which your taxable income is calculated. If you are employed the method will be payslips / P60.

The bank will not use the figures on your bank statement as this represents gross revenue to your business, not your personal taxable income. The lender is not deducting depreciation, this is an accounting adjustment. Your accountant is claiming write down allowance, you could choose not to claim write down allowance, as you could choose not to deduct other business expenses. This would lead to a much higher level of taxable income and a higher tax bill.

By being self employed you will incur expenses that employed people do not; the lender wants to take this into account and this is the method they have chosen. By claiming expenses and allowances to (absolutely legally and correctly) reduce your tax bill but wanting to use a different set of figures to calculate your borrowing ability you are trying to have your cake and eat it, and I mean that in the nicest way.

I appreciate why you feel this is unfair, I've not worked in the mortgage industry since 2008 but in the 10 years I'd spent in the industry previous to that your experience is something I saw many, many times. My husband is self employed and this is something we have to deal with every time we move or remortgage. You have to make a decision as to whether you want the low tax bill or the big mortgage and pre-plan in the years beforehand.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    BlueberryB wrote: »
    It's a new build we are after with the help of the Scottish governments "help to buy -equity loan" builds won't be ready till end of the year, so plenty time to save up some more, but I'm terrified to reserve a plot and pay the reservation fee to find at the end of the year when we make our mortgage application there is no way in hell we would get it
    You'll be applying for your mortgage when you reserve and that will be as soon as the plots are released, with exchange of contracts (or the equivalent up there) about 28 days later.

The builder will not fit the property out to your spec until you have made a commitment to buy and that means you'll have to have the mortgage in place prior to the commitment.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    It's pretty simple really.

Lending to self-employed people is seen as more of a risk. One way of minimising that is taking a conservative view on what income you base the lending on.

I agree that the self employed are seen as a higher risk ,however you will find that the vast majority of self employed people go out and find their own work, they are driven and will go that extra mile to make a living and make the business viable.

If someone has been self employed and run their own business for say 10 years they should be seen as a far better bet than anyone who is employed even in the Public sector which use to be seen as a "Job for life"..
    Its not just you, or self-employed people either. The world is a very changed place, post 2008ish. This forum has plenty of employed people who are struggling to persuade lenders of their ability to pay back a loan. Many of these would have gone through very readily 7-8 years ago.

Agreed but the days of easy credit are creeping back.Look no further than credit card limits as they are on the rise so how long before the new rules that were put in place for mortgage lending are slowly eroded away. Its only a matter of time before we are back to square 1.

Remember the number 1 priority of any Government is re-election and if that means making people feel wealthier because their properties value has increased then they will relax borrowing rules (long term)... Look no further than the HTB schemes and we even have Councils like Hastings lending money to young people to buy houses.
  • kingstreet wrote: »
    You'll be applying for your mortgage when you reserve and that will be as soon as the plots are released, with exchange of contracts (or the equivalent up there) about 28 days later.

The builder will not fit the property out to your spec until you have made a commitment to buy and that means you'll have to have the mortgage in place prior to the commitment.

Oh right, this is not what the developer and broker said to us? They said you pay a £500 plot fee when you reserve and must have a AIP before you can do this. Also when they start the build you pay £2000 which both these costs come off the price of the house. The plots are released just now by the way, builder is only building on the plots as they are bought! There are a few houses up and people in them already for a few months.

Maybe it makes a difference that the development we like is out of town in a small rural village, well I wouldn't even call it a village lol it's not got a shop or school, just a small gathering of houses in the countryside (about 25 at the mo) then a development of 19 going up just now with a play park too. The builder did say there really is no rush he said there are 10 of the 19 plots left, they are not selling like hot cakes as the ones in the town do, so I think we are fine to wait a few months.

Broker said in her email that she would wait till April when the figures for this year are in before applying, which is perfect but from what I read on here AIPs are only usually valid for 90 days! And then it's not even guaranteed you will get accepted when you go full application!! This is what is terrifying me as knowing our luck and nothing ever good happens to us, this is what will happen, and our dream will be shattered to pieces! :(
  • kingstreet
    TBH it may be different in Scotland, but the same principle applies, the builder will want to get a commitment from you as early as possible.

Our approach to timing an application on HTB - Equity Loan sounds the same. We are just submitting the Property Information Form now on cases expected to complete in September and we won't do the mortgage application for another couple of weeks to ensure the six months on the mortgage offer doesn't expire before the house is finished.

We'd expect the mortgage offer on these cases to be issued in late March/early April and for the contracts to be exchanged soon after. This is the point the English buyer is committed to purchase and the builder knows he can fit out the property to the buyer's spec.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • kingstreet wrote: »
    TBH it may be different in Scotland, but the same principle applies, the builder will want to get a commitment from you as early as possible.

Our approach to timing an application on HTB - Equity Loan sounds the same. We are just submitting the Property Information Form now on cases expected to complete in September and we won't do the mortgage application for another couple of weeks to ensure the six months on the mortgage offer doesn't expire before the house is finished.

We'd expect the mortgage offer on these cases to be issued in late March/early April and for the contracts to be exchanged soon after. This is the point the English buyer is committed to purchase and the builder knows he can fit out the property to the buyer's spec.

Thanks for your help Kingstreet! You are helping me loads!
    So when you do the AIP you have 90 days to submit a full app? Then after you do that and it's accepted you get the offer, is that when the builder would start and funds are released? Or only when the build is complete the funds are out? What happens if they decide not to give you it any more? Is the mortgage offer in writing mean you have got it or not?
    I'm worrying myself sick about this and I'm terrified we get our (mostly my) hopes built up so much and we fall at the first hurdle!!

Hubby's credit score is good and he only has HP on a car @ £240 pm it's my credit that bothers me! I have a few late (orange 1) on my noodle account and a default for £1270 to Lowell that is due off next May. I have no outstanding debt and I took my overdraft down last month from £800 to £150 so I still had something but got rid of most. On my Experian I have a good rating with no debt and all green but I noticed there is no record of debts I had out including defaulted account in my maiden name! On both noodle and Experian I have been green for at least 2 years.

Do you think the above would cause a big problem? This is what terrifies me!
  • kingstreet
    This is the way we do Equity Loan cases in England;-

Check HCA Affordability Calculator
    Obtain agreement in principle
    Preliminary reservation done with builder and solicitor selected
    Property information form and reservation submitted
    HTB - EL Authority To Proceed issued (ATP)

All the above is done in the first week.

Formal reservation completed and fee paid
    Full mortgage application submitted
    Lender valuation done and supporting docs submitted
    Mortgage Offer issued
    Solicitor submits Authority to Exchange (ATE)
    Deposit paid to solicitor
    Contracts exchanged with completion "on notice" when build over

All of the above is done within 28 days of ATP issue.

Property finished and kitted out to buyer's spec
    Demonstration visit and snagging inspection
    Notice given
    Solicitor submits Forms 1 & 2 for Equity Loan release
    Completion takes place, keys and money change hands and mortgage payments commence.

All of the above several months later and an be upto nine months from ATP, upto six months from ATE.
  • kingstreet
    I am unable to comment on your particular circumstances as I do not know the overall details of your application.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure