PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What's your must have/nice to have/won't touch list

When buying a property, budget and geographical location aside, how did/would you narrow down your search?

We're trying to compile a list which we can refine as we view properties, and I'm sure there are things that we haven't thought of!

For example, prospective houses for us must have off-road parking. A dining kitchen would be nice to have. We won't/can't take on a non-livable project as we don't have the money to completely gut a place straight away.

Comments

• Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't think I would ever buy a house with the bathroom next to the kitchen (which you do see) for hygiene reasons.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • Do you have/intend to have children? If so, I would suggest that a 2nd loo, preferably downstairs, should be on your 'must have' list.

For us, it was at least 2 loos and a separate utility room (cat litter tray for the use of).

.... and I've just realised that I sound obsessed with bodily functions !
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    i think i prefer combined living room & kitchen as easier to keep an eye on the cooking (pans boliing over etc), not really bothered about parking as no plans to buy any cars and parking can add up to £20k to the price of a property (possibly even more in london)
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Outside or driveway parking, garage and garden.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Garden, solid walls, parking (or a garden plenty large enough for a council to approve driveway), room for improvement, cornershop nearby, walkable to a station.
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Must have - certain size or bigger rooms (we have a specification for each room, but essentially it's 4m x 4m for the living room and master bed). Garden of a certain size or bigger, off road parking or potential for it. Potential for large kitchen and utility room and downstairs loo. Project.

Nice to have - utility room, large kitchen, downstairs loo, off road parking already in place. 2nd bathroom. Garage.

Won't touch - subsidence, external wall needing full replacement, Small dark rooms, main road, motorway noise near by.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Given my miniscule budget and lack of affordable options, I went with somewhere I couldn't hear every move the neighbours made through the walls.
    And some outside space for the dog. That was pretty much it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Houses can be reconfigured. The plots they sit on can't. Decent sized garden for us for important. Current state wasn't key.
  • Must haves - at least 3 bedrooms, garage, excellent broadband, garden.

Nice to haves - 4 bedrooms, more than one loo, detached

Wouldn't touch - mid-terrace (can cope with one neighbour, but not two!!).

When we were looking for the house we're currently in, we view 3 on the same day, all around the same price. The first two were 'turnkey' properties, all ready to move into - but tiny. The last one was a rambling house over 4 floors, with an attic and a basement, 4 bedrooms, two bathrooms, lots of original features, and a double garage. But it needed a lot doing to it.

That's the one we bought, and we spent 3 years doing it up. I reckon we've spent about £50,000 on doing it up (full rewire, new kitchen and bathrooms, remodelled the garden), but we've increased the value by about £100,000. Don't be in too much of a hurry to discount the 'doer uppers' - you don't have to do it all at once, and that's where the potential for making money lies.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Must haves - at least 3 bedrooms, garage, excellent broadband, garden.

Nice to haves - 4 bedrooms, more than one loo, detached

Wouldn't touch - mid-terrace (can cope with one neighbour, but not two!!).

For a second I thought you were my husband, except the broadband would've been first on his list. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure