Schools providing Sanitary protection

Options

Comments

• Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    So we should just fund everything that we empathise with?

I didn’t think it was radical, but actually expecting parent to, well, parent isn’t too much to ask surely.

My post wasn’t even necessarily critical of the idea; but critical of the attitude that shuts down debate. If you want to fund private enterprises to support everything you think is right, by all means. But you are asking me to fund it; which means I get to have an opinion.

You know what would really help cut down on drug related crime; free drugs.
    Poverty, free food.
    Homelessness, free housing.
    Unemployment, we’ll lets just force employers to take people on; or just pay them not to work.

And whilst we’re at it; anyone who disagrees is a facist, monstrous, unempathetic etc etc....

I appreciate you’re in your echo chamber 90% of the time and aren’t used to hearing any other opinion, but funnily enough lots of people manage to look after themselves and their kids without demanding more and more. The ones who can’t maybe need to ask themselves why....

Providing heroin rather than methadone has a better record in terms of detox and rehabilitation than not.
    Apart from food banks, providing benefits of any kind is effectively free food, as we don't tend to let people starve to death here.
    Homelessness - social housing, housing benefit, LHA reduces homelessness in the cases of those regarded most vulnerable.
    Unemployment - again, to combat starvation and homelessness, we do provide benefits for those who have not got a job for certain reasons and is looking for another.

Sounds like a basic level of human decency to not behave like the Victorians or what happens in the deepest reaches of the 3rd world.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    That’s unfortunate isn’t it. Off you pop down to court.

Seems rather expensive for the organisation spending so much money on clogging up the courts with applications for CCJs in respect of a single tampon.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Providing heroin rather than methadone has a better record in terms of detox and rehabilitation than not.
    Apart from food banks, providing benefits of any kind is effectively free food, as we don't tend to let people starve to death here.
    Homelessness - social housing, housing benefit, LHA reduces homelessness in the cases of those regarded most vulnerable.
    Unemployment - again, to combat starvation and homelessness, we do provide benefits for those who have not got a job for certain reasons and is looking for another.

Sounds like a basic level of human decency to not behave like the Victorians or what happens in the deepest reaches of the 3rd world.

There you go then. Free drugs for anyone who wants them.

As for the other three, youve missed my point. Yes we provide all that; and yet people still can’t afford a pack of tampons... my question is why not?
  • Comms69
    Options
    Seems rather expensive for the organisation spending so much money on clogging up the courts with applications for CCJs in respect of a single tampon.

Not a CCJ; you keep going by the cost of the unit. I’m saying charge them. As in you have failed in your duty of care; pay the fine.
  • GlasweJen brings an interesting point - about toilets being locked. I remember most toilets being locked outside of lunch hours. And you could guarantee a large infux of girls in between lessons hustling for use of the five cubicles. Que for the toilets and risk being late and detention or bawled out in front of the class+ depending on the teacher. Easier to not go to the next lesson sometimes
    With love, POSR <3
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There you go then. Free drugs for anyone who wants them.

As for the other three, youve missed my point. Yes we provide all that; and yet people still can’t afford a pack of tampons... my question is why not?

You clearly have no concept of what it is like to bleed copiously for days.

You mention drugs - not all women take drugs and there is an initial
    choice. Someone mentioned that we all 'poop'. Very few people do so continuously for 4 or 5 days. Thankfully, most of us have control of our bowels.

I believe that shaving gear is VAT free, but men are not obliged to shave. A beard and a weekly trim with a scissors is fine.

No wonder so many women called periods 'the curse'.

A low-income family with two daughters and mother could struggle, maybe not always, but even so. Begrudging a little help?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Comms69
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    You clearly have no concept of what it is like to bleed copiously for days.

You mention drugs - not all women take drugs and there is an initial
    choice. Someone mentioned that we all 'poop'. Very few people do so continuously for 4 or 5 days. Thankfully, most of us have control of our bowels.

I believe that shaving gear is VAT free, but men are not obliged to shave. A beard and a weekly trim with a scissors is fine.

No wonder so many women called periods 'the curse'.

A low-income family with two daughters and mother could struggle, maybe not always, but even so. Begrudging a little help?

It’s irrelevant if I have experience of it or not. I’m also not homeless, or drug dependent. My point was about empathising with people.

Clearly not all women take drugs..?! I think you missed the point entirely.

As I said, why are they struggling?

Even with a single working parent- a FT minimum wage jobs is around £1300 a month.
    Child benefit £34 a week
    And £600 tax credits a month
    - I suspect there’s also a housing benefit payment but working that out is a right pain.

It’s not about a little help; there’s quite a lot of help there!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Just thought it might be helpful from a former female paupers point of view

I remember thinking of periods as having the monthly runs.
    Stomach aches for the first 3 days at least ,huge rise in body temperature, slamming headaches and sitting in the pongy dampness for most of a week. They would appear out of sequence often and leave me unprepared. PE teachers whilst female for the girls lessons, were generally the women who as girls had experienced the lightest 3 day periods and no other symptoms I think because they had a 'pull yourself together and get on with it ' attitude.

Girls from backgrounds like my own were the ones who made their own pads using toilet paper .I used to wrap an existing pad for the first 3 days and unwind and flush the gory mess as the day progressed. However I expect there were girls who's entire period was handled with wadges of bogroll from public toilets. (My mother did provide a packet of pads once a month but a girl can easily use 5 on day 1 and 2, then 3 a day thereon).

Girls cant always cope with tampons. They are tricky to insert and for some girls,they dont stay put. My mother handed me a thing about 6 inches long and encased in cardboard when I asked her about them.

One company used to send a free pack to try out if you wrote to them . Mine were guarded like gold to use for my beloved school swimming because one tampon is enough for the lesson and it was only once a week so a pack of freebies for me meant I could still have that pleasure for the whole year and they did send me a further packet for free a second year.

Not changing the pads or tampons often enough can lead to soreness and smells at best and infection and even death from infection untreated at worst.

Incidentally my mother also received a uniform grant once for me in 1st year secondary, once in 4th and I wore the 1st year gear up until 4th year. The grant covered a blazer and tie and skirt in 1st and a blazer and I think jumper in 4th .I wore the skirt until it was ridiculous and another pupil gave me her NEW skirt because she hated it and her mother had bought her another. My 'blouses' were hand me downs of my brother's who had in turn inherited them from my dad or the jumble sale.

When I found a paper round, my earnings were used to buy sanitary pads and new plimsoles and all the other little things that I felt would make life more normal. I didnt get one till I was 15 because almost all the paper shops would only employ boys despite it being 'illegal' to employ based on gender.

My father was out of work for almost the whole of my secondary school life and when he did have a job , most of his income was gambled and smoked. Mum used to clean for various ladies and I think we lived off her earnings.
    Anyway the point being...If there had been a way to have sanitary pads using coupons given to girls at school who wanted them, it would have been so much a happier time. Most girls would not have needed them or wanted them. If the pads were in some way different, eg, had a name across them , it would discourage unscrupulous parents from bullying their daughters into procuring sellable items for them.

Or if there were some lessons in which the girls were shown and helped to make the reusable pads themselves it would be a big help .
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In my case our household was a family of 7 - Mum, step dad and 5 children. Only one of those children was "theirs", the three oldest were mums first marriage (1 single and twins), Dad brought another a year younger than the twins (his first wife died) and then they had a child of their own. At this stage Mum had a good job as a nursing sister in a nursing home, Dad worked as a charge hand in a factory.

Mum then got cancer and my first day of high school was spent worrying about her surgery. She was off work for a long time between the surgery, chemo and radiotherapy. She was paid at first but after a while her sick pay dried up.

Dad then found out his warehouse was closing down. He got a new job as a taxi driver so we ended up in that awkward area where Dad earned too much for us to qualify for help but the money didn't go very far.

My older sister could use a bag and a half of regular towels. After her cancer Mum didn't need them any more, I needed 9 or 10 boxes of each. My periods were so heavy that I ended up on iron tablets, I had a blood transfusion once when I passed out at school and got blue lighted to hospital.

They did do a work up and I just have a lot of lining for whatever reason. They couldn't do anything.

I always had sanpro but my mum really struggled with the expense. She did eventually go back to work but then had to leave when two members of the family got terminal cancer and needed care. She ended up working as a taxi driver too so she could work around all the appointments and things for my relatives.

The school were close to useless, I had a medical card to leave the room when I needed but teachers wouldn't let me. They'd call my mum and moan that I was always asking for the toilet keys and Mum was like "well duh".
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    As a taxpayer, I expect state schools to be safe, calm, displined centres of learning where pupils can concentrate solely on their education. That includes learning how to interact in a civilised society as well as academic qualifications. I don't mind paying for nutritious hot lunches (with cutlery and enforced table manners), decent toilets, proper security, extra help for those who struggle, viable options for those with a more vocational bent, and yes free sanitary products. Older pupils can discuss the budget for this in citizenship lessons, so they're fully aware of how difficult decisions have to be made.

I don't want to live in a semi-literate non-aspirational society where people associate education with bullying or embarrassment, or as a luxury for those who can pay for it. Scrimp on schooling and you create many more expensive social issues further down the line.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport