PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast

Options

Comments

• TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Fiscal Fast 124

We were talking about treats and I LOVE fish and chips (my figure will show you why!) and it is SO easy to eat them on a regular basis (home made are just not the same) and before you know it, you are spending a fortune on takeaways.

We have found a solution....our favourite fish and chip shop is a 45 minute drive away so we only have them when we are in Truro.

Well today was that day :D
    I had a prayerful afternoon booked (our subject was the Cornish Celtic Way) up at Epiphany House in Truro and the fish and chips were SO good - boy were they delicious :D:D:D:D

So a relatively LSD today
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast 125

We had planned today around the Royal Wedding and with the TV coverage being so brilliant I felt the nation had 'the best seats in the house'

I only watched it from when the princes arrived, I really don't like all the run up with often mindless commentary that goes with it.

Hubby headed down to Morrison's to get supplies for a BBQ before we put our Union Flag bunting up.

ok, I admit it, I cried :o

We had a lovely few hours and our shopping spend was extremely low as some of the meat came out of the freezer.

A lovely day :D
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 126

One of our main car boot sales is on at Hayle on a Sunday but we decided not to go this morning. My gut feeling was to have a break away from buying for a few days (until Wednesday :rotfl: ) and concentrate on what we have bought and get it pictured and listed. So this is what we spent Sunday morning doing (along with tidying and cleaning :eek: }

The afternoon was spent hosting a Cornish speaking group who had walked from Ludgvan to our church in Marazion (just by St Michael's Mount) as part of the Cornish Celtic Way.

Having counted how many walkers there were at Ludgvan we shot off down to Morrison's to get the scones and cream as well as fresh milk for when we arrived.

We were blessed with many RTCs at Morrison's (the best was probably the pick and mix rolls - about 10 in the bag reduced to 19p) so another LSD :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thankyou both some great ideas.

As a goal I need to reduce my mortgages before I plan to retire in 5 yrs and what really was an eye opener was that I could have been retired at 50 if I had spent wisely and carefully.

I use the KAKEBO book to focus me on my incomings and outgoings and again sometimes I fill it in religiously and other days I miss out. Overall it is very good for helping me see in black and white what my financial month will look like.

I do make lists as soon as I get paid and take out in cash to put in envelopes any expenses that month ie June is Fathers day month so an amount is put into an envelope for presents and a meal. One dog goes to hydrotherapy once a week so that goes into an envelope etc etc

My food is not budgeted separately and I do not have a freezer which is a nuisance tbh so no batch cooking can be done and I have to buy fresh weekly what I intend to eat.

I have also started two savings challenges on the forum which is great as last year I hadn't anything put aside.

I do have some areas I wont compromise on ie my dogs eat a very expensive food and it is nutritionally superior than other brands. I also wont buy meat / eggs from anywhere other than the butcher who guarantees ethical food from within 70 miles of the village. This is very expensive , think £11 for a small chicken, so I'd rather not eat meat, we don't have to every day anyway.

I think planning is the key but the other problem I have is that I treat myself too often and don't focus ie if I want something and my budgets are gone I'll just transfer money from my savings account. Maybe having visibility of my savings on my phone app is too easy and I should start saving with another bank lol.

Thankyou ladies I will dip in here and there to check progress and more hints and tips. Being frugal is easy short term but I need to dig in deeper to make longer term changes.
  • TM6
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »

As a goal I need to reduce my mortgages before I plan to retire in 5 yrs and what really was an eye opener was that I could have been retired at 50 if I had spent wisely and carefully.

I use the KAKEBO book to focus me on my incomings and outgoings and again sometimes I fill it in religiously and other days I miss out. Overall it is very good for helping me see in black and white what my financial month will look like.

I do make lists as soon as I get paid and take out in cash to put in envelopes any expenses that month ie June is Fathers day month so an amount is put into an envelope for presents and a meal. One dog goes to hydrotherapy once a week so that goes into an envelope etc etc

My food is not budgeted separately and I do not have a freezer which is a nuisance tbh so no batch cooking can be done and I have to buy fresh weekly what I intend to eat.

I have also started two savings challenges on the forum which is great as last year I hadn't anything put aside.

I do have some areas I wont compromise on ie my dogs eat a very expensive food and it is nutritionally superior than other brands. I also wont buy meat / eggs from anywhere other than the butcher who guarantees ethical food from within 70 miles of the village. This is very expensive , think £11 for a small chicken, so I'd rather not eat meat, we don't have to every day anyway.

I think planning is the key but the other problem I have is that I treat myself too often and don't focus ie if I want something and my budgets are gone I'll just transfer money from my savings account. Maybe having visibility of my savings on my phone app is too easy and I should start saving with another bank lol.

Thankyou ladies I will dip in here and there to check progress and more hints and tips. Being frugal is easy short term but I need to dig in deeper to make longer term changes.

You are doing so well already (looking at your signature detailing your saving) so well done :T

Could a real treat be the freezer. I know it would dip into your savings but it pays for itself in the savings you accrue.

There are just 2 world that I believe sum up the fast for me focus and discipline. FOCUS on why you wish to cut back and be blinker visioned when it comes to saving. Be DISCIPLINED, yes treat yourself from time to time otherwise you are setting yourself up to fail but DON'T touch the savings account :eek: Have a Happy Cash Stash like JackieO has...it's an awesome idea.

I hope this helps a little, take away what is relevant to you :D

Happy Fasting :D
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 127

An amazingly LSD but look what I bought from Tesco's for £4.17 :j

(I just found them in their dry goods RTC and they had just slashed the prices)

Beechams cold and flu 66p
    Savlon cream 38p
    Tights (2 pack) 80p
    Panadol Extra 53p
    Daktarin Athlete's Foot Spray 84p
    Scholl Athlete's Foot Spray Liquid 80p
    4 Polish dark gravy mixes 16p (4p each)

Happy Days :j
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »

What keeps me focused is having a fixed income which is very low

I take home on average £160 a week. When that's spent there is nothing else because once money is tucked away in savings, it stays there and that is only used for major purchases such as a replacement boiler. Not ever used for every day spending

My take home pays for my road tax, insurance, petrol, maintenance of said car, phone, groceries and household , coal and personal spends - clothes, make up etc

I also have a monthly bill of £82 as I treated myself to a laptop on interest free credit early this year

So not having anything to start with keeps me focused on getting the best I can for as little as possible

It also makes me think about what I'm spending money on as a 'treat'. What do I want more, a £3 nail varnish which will give me joy for weeks to come, of a cup of really not great coffee? :)

Don't get me wrong, I like a treat, we all do , and sometimes I go mad, get the nail varnish, the coffee and throw in a cake as well, but I know I can't maintain those spends every day without dipping into savings and if I spend the savings today, whilst I'm still earning, what treats will I have when I'm on SP?

So I spend wisely and waste nothing. We make do and mend wherever possible. Like Jackie, I freeze single sausages. I freeze before cooking. After a while there's a lot of single sausages in the freezer, that's a free meal for the 3 of us

I remember saying to you before ( different username ) that I didn't add crisps and sweets to the grocery spend. If someone wants them, they buy them themselves out of their money. If DH wants beers in the house, I take the money of him , I'm not buying him beer out of housekeeping

Scratch cooking saves me a fortune. We eat pretty well I think. We have at least one roast a week, if not 2. We have chinese and Indian and pizza same as everyone else, difference is we cook our own, from scratch, no jars or pastes

We even eat out or get a takeaway now and then. We eat at tea time or lunchtime instead of evenings, usually the same menu for 1/2 the price and a free drink included. Takeaway is a real rare treat and even those left overs are my packed lunch on a Monday, even if all that's left is rice and noodles and a bit of sauce :)

We go to the cinema on half price Tuesday's. It's the same film for £3 as it is for £7 so why pay the extra?

And charity shops are my clothes shopping shops of choice. I look in them all weekly, them and TK and snap up bargains My Best Buy this year so far has been an as new Hobbs dress for £12 ( website £159), ideal for the wedding I'm having to attend in the poshest hotel in Belfast lol

I could spend more by dipping into savings or not putting so much aside for savings but I really enjoy the challenge of getting by on so little. And seeing our savings grow is a great spur on
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just re-read the entire thread.

TM6, way to go :T You are doing a marvellous job :T & I love it that you are finding exactly what suits you. I am just imagining you in NY at the wedding :D with a really big grin :D knowing that you can enjoy yourself without getting into debt :T

I am in awe of JackieO & am looking forward to getting back home so I can start again with my Love Food Hate Waste campaign :) - although I love my DSis, she wastes an awful lot of food & never writes a list :( I will be feeding three but I am hoping to spend for two :rotfl:

Keep up the good work TM6

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • TM6
    Options
    Just re-read the entire thread.

TM6, way to go :T You are doing a marvellous job :T & I love it that you are finding exactly what suits you. I am just imagining you in NY at the wedding :D with a really big grin :D knowing that you can enjoy yourself without getting into debt :T

I am in awe of JackieO & am looking forward to getting back home so I can start again with my Love Food Hate Waste campaign :) - although I love my DSis, she wastes an awful lot of food & never writes a list :( I will be feeding three but I am hoping to spend for two :rotfl:

Keep up the good work TM6

MrsSD

Thank you SO very much for your kind words Mrs SD, it means such a lot to have such wonderful encouragement.

I too am in awe of JackieO and love her hints and tips
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 128

Today saw us visiting 2 Bookers again and very pleasingly we only picked up RTC items bar one which was on our 'nearly out list'

We also popped into Boots for some shampoo and conditioner which cost the princely sum of £1.50 but I had an electronic coupon for 100 points so I was well pleased with that :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure