IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Given a parking ticket that had time left on it but now have been fined by a private comapny

Options

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 September 2018 at 7:59PM
    Options
    its a private company so whoever took that photo is probably their parking chimp, on a commission, so the mobile camera is that persons camera , their C.E.O.

basically , a private CEO took the picture and reported the vehicle for not purchasing the £1 ticket, possibly they saw the handover of the ticket he obtained from the "good samaritan that wasnt" , I suspect that the ticket stated it was "not transferable" or similar ?

Their car parks are cheap but woe betide anyone not paying the £1 or whatever the cost is

NAPIER then paid the DVLA £2.50p for the keeper data and sent that person (your father ?) the NTK demanding payment of £50 for early payment

most of this has no relevance to the issue at hand , its merely working out the sequence of events that led to your elderly father receiving the INVOICE from Napier. it is receipt of this invoice that is his current legal problem, not necessarily how he got it

in my opinion, if he decides NOT TO PAY, then he and nobody else but he , faces up to 6 years of harassment and debt collector letters, followed by solicitor letters from B W LEGAL or similar

then , within that 6 years , if Napier or their solicitors issues an MCOL then he faces a civil court case which he will have to defend in his local county court (and in my opinion, will lose based on the info you have provided)

the question is, can an 83 year old carer really deal with this and is he prepared to go to his local county court and persuade a judge that he is not liable for the charge ?

if he fails and loses, he faces a bill of about £170 including court fees , to be paid within one month of the CCJ being issued , or if he fails to pay then Napier could push it to enforcement using court bailiffs, with added costs

these are the real issues, the "what happened on the day" are merely the explanations that lead us to this current legal wrangle which is where he is right now

I would say the £50 should be paid and that is the end of the matter, which is a harsh lesson for him to learn, but may prevent a repeat (ie:- you pay the £1 upfront fee to avoid having to pay £50 or even £90, or even £170 , LATER)

he should also be made aware that these companies infest supermarkets, doctors surgeries , retail parks , leisure centres and hospitals etc, so to be very , VERY careful in future

it is his choice if he has the **** to front it out, or cut and run and pay the least amount of money which he can at the moment
  • Bond00
    Bond00 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok Redx thanks for your help. It's a sad reflection of our world, let's hope the bosses enjoy the money gained from a scam allowed by our government.lts certainly opened my eyes, all of this. The only good thing to come out of this is that there are people willing to help,like all those who have replied on here. The world isn't full of cheaters and scammers, only in car parks!!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Explain to him not to accept any more "time left on here" tickets from "Good Samaritans" preying on young Mums/Older Pensioners etc!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    He should still send the SAR to Napier, for all evidence and data held. Why not send it to the Data Protection Officer in his name (signed by him) and ask them to also note that his address for service is (your postal address) so it comes back to you instead.

There might be scope to complain to the Information Commissioner.

Also, if this is local, can you hang out there one afternoon and watch and film this 'lady' and this 'ticketer' in action in case they do it again, and at least to prove the person taking the photos is not wearing any uniform, and any other conduct you can catch them doing?

I feel if they've done this once, it's likely to be commonplace, and I do not believe for one second the lady was an ordinary driver. Catch them at whatever game they might be playing and your Dad would be able to report them to the ICO, the DVLA, the IPC, and Trading Standards.

That would be ultimate revenge, and would stop others being caught like this.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bond00 wrote: »
    Ok Redx thanks for your help. It's a sad reflection of our world, let's hope the bosses enjoy the money gained from a scam allowed by our government.lts certainly opened my eyes, all of this. The only good thing to come out of this is that there are people willing to help,like all those who have replied on here. The world isn't full of cheaters and scammers, only in car parks!!

I don't think government fully understands the scam although
    with the new bill going through, there are MP's who do
    understand. Right now, government is too busy busy
    screwing up brexit

You have PM'd me. I hope you follow my advice and post
    here what has happened
  • Bond00
    Bond00 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I visited this car park which is very small and very empty on the evening. The machine is self ticketed, just put in your money and press the green button. No reg details. I saw no cameras or ANPR, l don't think they would waste their money on such a small car park.
    However, there were 2 cars on the car park. One car had a couple of individuals who watched me like a hawk. I pretended to decide upon my space.Got out the car,looked at the ticket machine and went in my car to get the money.I wanted to have a physical ticket ( Plus l read they charge you just for looking for a few minutes..l don't want a ticket!!) These guys were very interested in what l was doing.l took my phone out,photographed everywhere and they left rather quickly.
    My dads letter identifies a car and ticket on dashboard. It gives a 3 minute time period. My dad said just as he got out of his car before he reached the machine he was approached and given a ticket. As he was leaving he noticed a guy taking a photo of the machine and signage using a mobile phone.He thought nothing of it till he was behind a driver just about to drive off the car park,when a person used his phone to take a picture of the car. This individual didn't appear official,if this was the case then the ticket would have gone on his car whilst parked.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bond00 wrote: »

My previous posts show I am NOT on the side of PPCs in any way, but the only "cheater" in this thread, if you pardon me, is your Dad. I can go along with the use of scammers for the PPCs but can't see how they cheated here. Sorry.

Now I have given and accepted tickets for parking and even given people a park entry wrist band for an Eco park. I was fully aware that they and I were cheating as far as the wrist band went but I had the foresight to see what t&c were in place before using a 2nd hand parking ticket.

As I wrote earlier, check what the scheme in place at the car park is before paying up
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Guys Dad ...... did you miss post#30 ???
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    beamerguy wrote: »
    Guys Dad ...... did you miss post#30 ???

Doesn't actually tell us what the sign says about tickets not being transferable, if the ticket has no vehicle registration number.

Indeed, how can they then prove that the ticket was not bought buy your dad unless they say that one of their staff actually was complicit in the fraud? And then watch them lose DVLA access!
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    there is no doubt in my mind that your dad was duped and clearly you were onto them and their possible dupe when you pretended to park up etc

the GDPR thread by coupon-mad is a good source of info about SAR,s including template examples
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure