PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• Admitted defeat with the last bit of the watermelon DD left when she stayed over the bank holiday - I have been eating it and there was only one slice left which had sat there untouched for a few days, and was squishy and fermented-smelling! :eek:

Also had to give up on a windfall pear which was black inside and out, I've been managing to get windfall apples and pears while out walking the dogs which have good, tasty edible bits for a few weeks but they're pretty well over now and this was the last of the pears - shame! It's been good while it lasted though so can't complain!:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    .... baked coleslaw...

I do that occasionally, but I've always called it cheese & veg bake :)
    I eat it mostly as the main part of a meal and serve with beans ... sometimes a poached egg just if they need using up and I'm feeling in full piggy mode.

I was thinking about it just yesterday ... but moved on as I already have enough food that needs to be eaten and buying new food doesn't make the "stuff I really don't fancy" go away :) so I have to try to be harsh with bringing new food into the house and force myself to eat what I've already got.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    YorksLass wrote: »
    On Sunday we had a roast dinner with a lovely piece of beef silverside. More consumed last night as a stir-fry with noodles (:j a stir-fry sauce used up) and this morning I've frozen some slices in gravy for future use. The rest is in chunks to make a beef tagine for tomorrow.

Beef tagine made (a packet sauce mix used up :) ) and eaten last night with sprouts and mashed potato. Enough left over to freeze for a hm ready meal.

Tonight's offering is a cross between lasagne and moussaka - a large quantity of pork mince and veg base (using a lasagne packet sauce :) ) done in the sc yesterday. Two portions went in the freezer and the other is for tonight, layered with potatoes and covered with a white sauce and grated cheese. Will also use up the last of the sweetheart cabbage which was disappointingly bland. :( I'll liven it up with butter, black pepper and caraway seeds. :D

Various bits have come out of the freezer this week too - crumpets, hm soup, croissants, pancakes - but there's still a lot to go at. :o Oh well, it all helps to keep the pennies in my purse. ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • I dollop some sweet chilli sauce on sweetheart cabbage YorksLass, but then I do like spicy things and use quite a bit of that in my cooking ,yet I can't abide tomato ketchup at all,or brown sauce.
    I will even dollop sweet chilli sauce into baked beans to 'liven' them up a bit :)

I steamed some sweetheart cabbage tonight to have with my dinner and made extra for tomorrow night which is in the fridge in a take away box to reheat in the microwave tomorrow night also steamed extra charlotte potatoes to use tomorrow night as well well the steamer is on anyway so it cuts down on cooking tomorrow night :)
  • I think I am going to get my slow cooker out at the weekend!!! There is a nip in the air.

So tea for me last night was a right weird one!! I have nothing left in my fridge now - I had 1/4 of a bag of gnocchi fried in butter with a green pepper, seasoned with Steenbergs, sploshed some sour cream in it and a few capers with a poached egg on top!

I love this thread and read it every day and come away inspired, thank you all for your contributions!
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    JackieO wrote: »
    I dollop some sweet chilli sauce on sweetheart cabbage YorksLass, but then I do like spicy things and use quite a bit of that in my cooking ,yet I can't abide tomato ketchup at all,or brown sauce. I will even dollop sweet chilli sauce into baked beans to 'liven' them up a bit :)

Yes, we're "spicy" too! :D I always buy the biggest bottle I can of sweet chilli sauce (usually KTC) as it works out considerably cheaper than the small bottles. We do have ketchup and brown sauce but don't use a lot of them so they're not a frequent buy. In the end, the cabbage wasn't too bad with the butter, pepper and caraway seeds but I'll not be in a hurry to buy it again and will get the darker types as I usually do.
    I think I am going to get my slow cooker out at the weekend!!! There is a nip in the air.

Yup, autumn's definitely knocking on the door so my sc's had its summer rest and will be used regularly over the coming months. ;)

First - and only - spend of the week today for potatoes, x2 pork pies, sliced lunch tongue and roast pork for sandwiches and fresh milk so a very frugal week indeed. My sm shopping list has 8 items on it but none of them is urgent and I know I have enough in stores for all next week's meals so I'll put off the sm shop for a bit longer. :):)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • JackieO

The packs of beetroot are in the aldi super 6 at 29p (not sure when this offer changes though)
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hope it lasts another week until I get home from France!

Denise
  • Thanks whiteguinea pig I will get some tomorrow if I can as I individually wrap and freeze them and use as and when needed. No cooking today I am driving my DGS Jack to Uni in Hertfordshire so we are having a pub lunch today with all the family
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Just checked the Aldi website and Super 6 is on until 26th September. Will be able to get some when I get home.

Denise
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure