PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 September 2018 at 10:58AM
    ... Fray Bentos ... childhood favourite... I know they're probably terrible ..
    That's where that sentence ends.

I had dreams of childhood and was firstly disappointed... especially by the amount of meat in them... but there was no "joy" any more in eating them. Also, you serve yourself half - then you have another half for another meal, which is always annoying when it's something like this which has the potential to simply not reheat wonderfully.

I say half - when I was growing up we'd have one pie between four of us.

I bought two 1-2 years ago, ate the first one - but still have the Balti flavour lurking.... needs to be cooked/eaten ... maybe this month, get it over and done with.

Tip: Save the tin, to use as a giant yorkshire pan :) unless you already have something the perfect size/type/shape. Personally, I find a 7" sponge sandwich tin does the job wonderfully... but for those without enough dishes, or the right shape, size, etc... the pie tins are handy to clutter up the cupboard "in case".
  • I don't have half! I eat the whole thing! But that's why I'm getting fatter as the years go on!

Saying that, as a child we also shared 1 between 4 of us. Mum would make it stretch with lots of spuds and veg. But there was a lot more meat in it back then!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • PasturesNew
    I don't have half! I eat the whole thing! But that's why I'm getting fatter as the years go on!

Saying that, as a child we also shared 1 between 4 of us. Mum would make it stretch with lots of spuds and veg. But there was a lot more meat in it back then!

Maybe it just looked like more. I do remember we had to serve up the pastry first, to be able to divide the meat as it did all bundle up in one half.

They are high in calories :)

Years ago (say about Y2000), I spotted a "FB Pizza Pie" - I kid you not! Not seen it since. I looked at the tin at the time and it was 1200 calories on its own.

I "target" 1000 calories per day. I know I go over, but I'm not on a diet, just mindful ... and I like to aim for 1000, averaged over a week or so... just so I don't slide into 3-4000 per day without a thought.

As I'm small, I need fewer than the "recommended" 2000/day for women. I need more like 1400 calories... so I aim for 1000, knowing I can go a bit over... as you do.
  • Agh - I couldnt be bothered to calorie count.

Two things I'm discovering is:

- stop eating the second I'm not hungry any more (no automatically "finishing it up")

- make as high a proportion of my food as possible fresh or frozen fruit or vegetables and they help fill my stomach up for minimum calories.
  • PasturesNew
    Agh - I couldnt be bothered to calorie count.
    Well, I don't sit and look them up, I've just got a rough idea of things. e.g. an individual pie is 500-700, depending on size. An indian takeaway of curry/rice/naan is 1200. A packet of crisps is about 120. A bag of my favourite choccies 1000 :)

Just a general idea.... gathered/remembered over the years.

When I eat something new/lovely, I eat it .... then take a quick look at the packet so I know what I had ... and then think about that over the next few days if needs be. :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Late on parade today, shop mooching AM then committee meeting

Nice warm & sunny, ideal for mooching

Usual breakfast of porridge / banana

The mooching provided both of today's meal base, YS ham slices in Iceland

Lunch was one of the ham slices, with salad bits in a sandwich

Dinner will be more ham slices, with a mushroom omelette & some chips. Beans would go with that but I don't think I'll need them, because another of my mooching YS was lemon slices, and they may be sampled later:o

I'd already added L & P sauce to the stew, turned out the missing item was salt. I never add salt to cooking, mainly because it is easy to over do it. I sprinkle on the food if needed after it's on the plate, same with pepper.
    I've got two huge containers of stew in the fridge, do for another day & I have freezer space if needed
    I don't have half! I eat the whole thing! But that's why I'm getting fatter as the years go on!

Same here, with the same result:D

I tried the chicken & mushroom version a week or so back, that was very tasty, still short on meat of course, but I'm thinking of buying more of that flavour when I see them on offer, which is most weeks somewhere
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • … stop eating the second I'm not hungry any more (no automatically "finishing it up")

I'm much better at that in restaurants than I ever used to be. I'm good now at stopping when I'm comfortably full, rather than pushing on until I feel ill.

I try and remember the old phrase "enough is as good as a feast". I've always thought how very true that is!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone,

I cba calorie counting either! I tend stick to eating regularly, minimal snacking, lots of veg and stopping when I've had enough. One of the reasons why I'm eternally using up "bits of things":eek:.

I got most of what I want to achieve cleaning wise done just cupboard doors to wipe down, As always it seemed to take longer and was much more bendy than I thought. Consequently my balance is decidedly off this evening so pasta is off the menu for dinner and I'm having breaded haddock, roasted veg and baked spud instead. I made a huge pan of roast veg last night so I'll use half of what's left and freeze the rest.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm much better at that in restaurants than I ever used to be. I'm good now at stopping when I'm comfortably full, rather than pushing on until I feel ill.

I try and remember the old phrase "enough is as good as a feast". I've always thought how very true that is!

I'm not a calorie counter either, I try to eat healthy, mainly HM meals but it's a work in process with the weight :cool: It took me until 5 or 6 years ago to realise that I didn't have to finish my plate, too many years of my mum filling up the plate and my dad saying you're stay there until you've finished it. But it was a hard habit to break and sometimes I have to make a conscious effort to put down the cutlery, would probably explain all our weight issues as well :think:

New laptops at work today, unfortunately windows 10 :eek: there has already been much muttering as nothing is where it should be and a lot of stuff has to be downloaded again :mad: the IT guy also nearly brought our sever down which made us unpopular with the rest of the office :rotfl: at least it meant the boss had enough by 4.30 and we both went home :T

Lunch was crustless quiche with salad and dinner was YS pizza I picked up yesterday, I very rarely buy pizza so really cba mood at moment.

Off to finish the last of my holiday reading, I like the author but this book is over 700 pages long and I'm ready for it to end now :cool:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • That's one thing I was fortunate in re food I guess - I didnt get the "finish it or else" thing at anyrate (whatever else I think about the diet I was brought up on).

I guess that's the plus side of having been brought up by a figure-conscious/attractive mother.

The dynamic is more along the lines of me telling her to "eat some more" - as she has always been so determined to keep her figure (and everyone else's if possible) that I've never thought she eats enough. So certainly the mealtime refrain has been very much the other way round as to who tells who to eat more in our family.

Both my parents expected her to have her figure back within weeks of me being born and she barely lost her figure even during pregnancies.

That, I think, is being too extreme in the other direction and must have been a high price to pay for the amount of male attention she still got (with wolf whistles etc) even after having had her children.

There's a happy medium imo between "Must NOT lose my figure for a minute" and "Oh blow it - as nobody else seems to bother much these days".
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback