is it worth it recently...

Options
I’m contemplating getting back into comping, I’m an oldie here but with 3 girls and a small petting zoo ;) It is a very time consuming hobby for me.

That being said I have won some wonderful prizes over the years (big and small) and my compy feet are feeling a bit twitchy.

How are the wins going, are people feeling they are more or less putting the same effort in as before or is it all still a bit bleak (was last time I was on here with an influx of new compers due to the site being in the press)

Fingers crossed they have realised the contrary to the Daily Mail we aren’t all over winning Caribbean cruises and range rovers every day and have gone back to decoupage!! :rotfl:

Comments

• bees**knees
    bees**knees Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My personal opinion is that comping is nothing like it was 8 years ago when I started. Yes there are still good prizes to be won but also a lot of tickets and event prizes and prizes of low value.
    So many comps now on social media - I dont do many of them.
    The general opinion here seems to be that there are many more compers (probably as a result of all the media articles) and fewer good prizes.
    It all depends why you are comping - I do it instead of just sitting watching TV. If you are short of time the rewards are probably not there.
    Having said that, you may start again and immediately win a big money prize :D
    Its random nothing guaranteed but it can be a great hobby and oh the buzz you get from any prize you win !
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Far more tat offered than there used to be.
    Many many more multiple entry competitions and apart from Bauer Radio group and to a far lesser extent Global they are rarely for significant, £1,000 or more, prizes.
    Lots of regular competitions (daily, weekly, monthly and annual) have stopped or cut the value of the prizes.
    More entrants.

But it should still only cost time to enter so if you have spare time and nothing else you would rather do then why not?
    Fingers crossed they have realised the contrary to the Daily Mail we aren’t all over winning Caribbean cruises and range rovers every day and have gone back to decoupage

Last week MSE were promoting the fact that the 3 main holiday prizes in a comp were all won by forum users and their reach is greater the DM (the comps forum also gets a fairly regular plug in the weekly e-mail).
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I used to win so much, but those days seem to be over (for me anyway) now.

I did win a nice pair of shoes from a magazine daily. They arrived last week. Other than that, I'm just very occasionally winning the odd item of low value.

I have cut down lots on the number of comps that I enter. But I'm nearly sure that is my reaction to winning less, rather than the reason I'm winning less. What I'm saying is, obviously if I'm entering less, I expect to win less, but it started with me noticing that wins were nowhere near as good or frequent as they used to be.

Having said all that, I agree with what others have written here. I comp while watching TV, and I would miss it if I didn't, I'm sure.

Since I first started comping, I've always said, honestly, that my motivation is more about enjoying the hope that it brings, rather than the actual rewards. That still applies.

So I would encourage you to come back and comp, but probably only if you can do so for for the enjoyment and hope, rather than for the actual rewards.

GL

Blu XXX
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • xoxlauraxox
    xoxlauraxox Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Options
    I have been comping for around 12 years and in all honestly it is not worth it anymore.... I still do it as I enjoy it but I used to win around 30 prizes a month and at least 1 biggie now I get a couple of little wins a month and i've not had a biggie in years. Social Media has completely changed things in my opinion.

I would always encourage anyone to join in, you have to be in it to win it but do it for the enjoyment as the rewards are not very often... and thats me talking as an experienced comper that spends many hours a day entering
    Thanks to everyone that posts :T:money:
  • JayJay1874
    JayJay1874 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Comped hard for 3 years, and won loads. Stopped for a year due to the arrival of our wee boy. Came back this year and it's slim pickings.
  • LizB62
    LizB62 Posts: 4,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I came back in January after a break of a couple of years and agree with what others have said above me - the win rate is so low now.
    In fact I've won nothing at all in nearly 6 months of entering every comp that I'm interested in. 7-8 years ago there were more comps that were worth entering and I would average a couple of prizes a month at least.
    Best win ever: Trip to the Galapagos Islands in 2010
  • everton2111
    Options
    I’ve been comping since February this year and not had one win yet, certainly no beginners luck here! But I keep telling myself that I’ve got to be in it to win it which keeps me coming back and entering! Hope you have some luck!
  • sharon1954
    sharon1954 Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You've got to be in it to win it as they say. I've been comping for quite a few years. Back in the day I had some lovely prizes, not of high value but these days it's rare to win much. I've had 2 dvd's this year which of course I'm happy with. The daily click to win prizes aren't what they used to be. I've won the odd dvd but when they first started the prizes were of high value like washing machines,fridge freezers etc. I enjoy entering, and still hoping for a big cash prize!
  • Lucky_Loo
    Lucky_Loo Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying, that’s very helpful.

I had a little flurry of comping at the end of last year and won a few little things which of course was lovely but so become so invested when I get into it properly that still trying to weigh up if it’s worth it!

Fingers crossed you see me on the IWIWIW board soon!! ��
  • darkangel-42
    darkangel-42 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    TL;DR
    Less good comps, less wins, more compers, meh.

Going to have to say the same - a few years back, I won something every couple of weeks and had some pretty decent wins.

Came back at the end of last year after taking a few years off and had 2 wins in December (one for Clipper tea bundle, which I LOVE, one for a significant bar tab, which was awesome) but nothing since then.

I've also noticed that there are a lot on really crap prizes on offer (packet of waterproofer, voucher only valid towards purchase of 5x voucher value, tickets to a show about quilts etc) and so, so many that require sharing/retweeting and I just don't want to spam my pages with that.

Some people have a separate just-for-comping account, but I've noticed a rise in comps that specifically say they won't award to compers, which is stupid becuase you are a comper by entering their comp so I dunno what that's about.

2014 wins: maternity/nursing pillow, Magnum chocolate, baby stroller, Baileys cupcakes
    Took a break while I moved country (twice).
    2018 wins:£400 meal for 4, Clipper tea
    2019 wins: flight voucher
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family