one day return ticket

Can I be charged extra for buying one day return ticket but coming back after several days?
One day return ticket on a ferry to France is cheaper then one way ticket.
I mean can it be legal for a company to demand extra payment for non-provision of service?
Has anyone actually been through this and had to pay up or is this just a way to scare people off buying day returns to use as singles?
Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It’s not non provision of the service if they ferries were there the same day but you chose not to take them the same day.

I suspect you’ll be charged extra and possibly a premium over advance online rates.

How about checking the terms and conditions.
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,870
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I believe from friends that they do indeed catch you on it because you didn't use the return....

I've never chanced it, we use Tesco vouchers on the tunnel.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    firstvalid wrote: »
    Can I be charged extra for buying one day return ticket but coming back after several days?
    One day return ticket on a ferry to France is cheaper then one way ticket.
    I mean can it be legal for a company to demand extra payment for non-provision of service?
    Has anyone actually been through this and had to pay up or is this just a way to scare people off buying day returns to use as singles?
    Thanks in advance for any replies

There is no problem with buying a return and not using one portion as long as there is nothing in the t's and c's
    However if you buy a day return then you cant use the return half on a different day.
    The ferry company can charge what they like. They are in business to make money.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,985
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not using the return will mean the ferry company WILL later take more money from you to make the fare up to their most expensive one.
    But if you contact them on the day with a special reason for missing the return they will probably let you return later without extra charges.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure