Travel credit cards

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,274
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    Orville wrote: »
    I looked at both of them but having read reviews on trust pilot I decided to go for the Fair fx.

You're correct the clue is in the title of the thread. Well done a brownie point for you :T
    Why, thank you!

You might clear it straight away but you are presuming everyone would. I doubt somehow that would be the case. Like i said which you seem to have forgotten I have a poor credit history and the last thing I would want to do is go down the credit route.

You presume again. Who said I had the money to load it in one go..? I loaded mine over a period of time waiting till it got a round the E1.40 mark each time i did as I didn't have the cash up front.
    If you can load a pre-paid card over a period of time, you can save in a savings account over a period of time. It's not rocket science.
    Very easy to mouth off these things but everyone's circumstances are different. Master cards rate is better yeah and if people want to go and get another credit card fair dues. I do wonder though if you don't pay it back in full etc and over a period of time how much more expensive they would be.
    You don't need a credit card to get the Mastercard rate. Kalixa pre-paid, uses it. I think Revolut does too. Or you can open a Metrobank account.

Anyway where's Nifty? This is his job.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,274
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    Orville wrote: »
    Just a question. On those cards if you hit your limit i take it there is no way of topping up should you get into trouble..?
    You can just make a payment to it, just as easy as topping up a pre-paid card! If your credit limit is £1000 and you've reached it, you can just make a payment of eg £200 and you now only owe £800, so you can spend another £200.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 January 2016 at 3:20AM
    I timed it so I pay the Clarity card one day after the cash withdrawal. Checked against the prevailing exchange rate, and it all works like it should.

Still no defence against the vagaries of the exchange rate, though. For JPY30,000, it costs £174.99 on 11th January, and £180.24 on 17th January. The Japanese YEN was around GBP1:JPY182 in November, it's now about 1:167 !

Probably a safe haven currency for all the capital fleeing China's troubles.

Well, a lot better than 1:120, I suppose. The stupid thing is, I will be paying for the hotel room tomorrow, and it will probably be the worst exchange rate so far. Guess what, it's also by far the biggest bill so far. :o
  • stevenpc
    stevenpc Posts: 139
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    well just for information i have had the revolut card for a couple of weeks and what i like is that in there software you can actualy see what the rate of exchange you will get there is no delay in processing that is what you get.
    so you can always check XE site to see what the rate is on that i have done this a couple of times and have found the rate given on the revolut is very good and have used the revolut.No messing waiting a couple of days for it to be processed and getting the rate on the day it is processed which could be very diferant to what it was on the day you made the transaction.
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2016 at 7:50PM
    Pincher wrote: »
    The stupid thing is, I will be paying for the hotel room tomorrow, and it will probably be the worst exchange rate so far. Guess what, it's also by far the biggest bill so far. :o

I feel your pain - last year I went to Switzerland just after the Swiss central bank did away with their peg to the Euro. CHF shot right up = hotel bill somewhat more painful (mitigated by no fx fee due the use of a PO platinum but still...)
    Things had more or less recovered over the year but right now the £ is heading the wrong way again :mad: and I'm going back there in 2 weeks time :rotfl: Luckily I shouldn't need any cash as the parents gave me some CHF for Xmas so between that and what little I have left over from last year I should manage without paying a visit to the ATM (but I'll be taking my Revolut just in case).
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,494
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No FX fees on the Santander 123 credit card for purchases during 2016. It has an annual fee, but if you have it for the cashback then might as well take advantage of no FX charges.
    koru
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    Forumite
    koru wrote: »
    No FX fees on the Santander 123 credit card for purchases during 2016. It has an annual fee, but if you have it for the cashback then might as well take advantage of no FX charges.

Would foreign purchases be eligible for cashback?
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,494
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Would foreign purchases be eligible for cashback?
    I don't think so. eg, the only Carrefour where you earn cashback is in Chelmsford
    http://www.santander-products.co.uk/credit_cards/cashback_search
    koru
  • I have just returned from a trip to Spain where I used the Creation card for some large purchases. Really pleased to see the "refund" for the foreign fee savings. My bank even have the cheek to charge me a "foreign cash fee" for getting foreign currency from anyone other than them using my debit card i.e. MY MONEY! shame on you Lloyds for that, bravo Creation for your foreign currency fee-free spending
  • JeffMinter
    JeffMinter Posts: 140
    Forumite
    Just came back from Norway after using the Revolut card... only worked once, for a 100kr ATM withdrawal. Had to use my ordinary bank card for the rest of the trip... spent over £50 on exchange fees as a result!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback