Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• arel
    arel Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My deal for basic tv package of £10/month had expired, managed to get it for another 12 months at £5/month. full price is £20 so happy with this arrangement.
  • Viridia
    Options
    wilsojer wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I used to have a Sky account a few years ago, but when I got together with my girlfriend, we cancelled my account and stayed with hers. We've since moved house, and transferred her account to our new home.

My question is - if we cancelled her account and I started a new account at the same address, would that constitute a new account and hence qualify for the £30 Sky Q deal for new customers ? If so, would I need to use a different email address, etc ?

Many thanks for any advice !

Hi there. Any Sky account is tied to the individual, not the property, so if you yourself have been away from Sky as a customer for over twelve months, you would qualify as a new customer with all that entails. You don't have to use different account details or anything, especially if you bring up that it's your old account you want reactivating and moving to the new address (though they may just set up a new account for you rather than reactivating the old one). You won't be penalised just because your girlfriend has an account already at the property.
    Please Note - Everything I post is my own personal opinion as someone interested in helping people know what they're getting for their money in an accurate and reliable fashion. It's not intended to reflect back on Sky in any professional context, nor am I acting on behalf of or for Sky when I post here.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :TTwo days after cancellation date ,I have a 60% off offer on MySky.
    HOWEVER, it appears as if they are offering me an even better deal than I had before!
    The "full" package ( Box sets plus Sports plus Cinema) is listed as £32 pm.What isn't clear is whether this includes the "HD Pack" for Sports, but if it does I'll get it for 20p per month less than last year but will have Cinema:T
    Think I'll have to go on chat to clarify!
    In the meantime my cancellation has only taken partial effect - I still have all Sky + Sports channels in HD, the recording functions still work and I can view stuff from the planner -but the EPG has been scrambled and I don't have any access to Catch up:rotfl:
  • Viridia
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    HOWEVER, it appears as if they are offering me an even better deal than I had before!
    The "full" package ( Box sets plus Sports plus Cinema) is listed as £32 pm.What isn't clear is whether this includes the "HD Pack" for Sports, but if it does I'll get it for 20p per month less than last year but will have Cinema:T
    In the meantime my cancellation has only taken partial effect - I still have all Sky + Sports channels in HD, the recording functions still work and I can view stuff from the planner -but the EPG has been scrambled and I don't have any access to Catch up:rotfl:

If the offer is solely 60% off DTV, then it's just for the core TV package, and Sports HD won't be included since any discount on that always shows up as a separate offer. Alternatively, you may be getting an offer for 60% off DTV and 60% off Sports HD being promoted together, but I would double-check that one to see how long it's for.
    Please Note - Everything I post is my own personal opinion as someone interested in helping people know what they're getting for their money in an accurate and reliable fashion. It's not intended to reflect back on Sky in any professional context, nor am I acting on behalf of or for Sky when I post here.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Just to be nosy, I checked mine and have the same. it does appear to be just of the three main packages though.

I'm not biting without cashback. (Finding lots of programmes, via catchup listings, that I didn't know existed).
  • brewerdave
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I'm not biting without cashback. (Finding lots of programmes, via catchup listings, that I didn't know existed).

...if I wasn't a sports nut, I'd probably go without too:)

But 60% off is looking tempting, particularly as cash credits don't seem to be around much anymore:(

How are you getting catch up channels? smart TV??
  • brewerdave
    Options
    Took the 60% off deal -applied to everything inc HD Pack so ~ £4 cheaper than last year:j - asked about a "sweetener" but absolutely no cash credits available -I suspect I would have had to leave it off for a few weeks (or months) to up the offer - was offered 60 % off Cinema as well but decided we wouldn't use it much,so saved the money:)
  • superbigal36
    superbigal36 Posts: 734 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 October 2016 at 6:09PM
    Options
    I will be back on the annual merry go round for my full package with multiroom and HD shortly.
    Last year being able to cancel inside 10 minutes and having 50% offer in mysky, a bit of livechat credit negotiation etc was the least stressful year yet. Historically you had to go cold turkey etc.
    Looking at recent threads it appears last years model is likely again.
    Difference this year is I may want to upgrade to the new Q service.
    Couple of posts indicate you should get your new deal on existing service. Then if you upgrade a few days later they apply all discounts ?
    Is this correct ?
    Anyone just done the upgrade to Q as part of the renegotiation ?
  • superbigal36
    superbigal36 Posts: 734 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 October 2016 at 9:05PM
    Options
    Okay to answer my own questions above and hopefully add an extra titbit.
    So I cancelled last night and gave my 31 days notice.
    Got a 50% offer in mysky (Same discount as last year)
    Clicked the button to accept.
    Now that's an error as it is 100% automated. Therefore my new future bills came through showing
    SkySports HD Pack £6 (Full price)
    Sky Multiscreen £12 (Full Price)
    Box Sets with sports and cinema £74 discounted to £37

I called up tonight and got a great advisor who was able to apply a further 50% discount £6 to Multiscreen (Up from 35% last year). I could not get anything on SportsHD so gave notice on that of 31 days. It remains on last years discount (60%) for most of that period anyway.

Had a chat about upgrading to SkyQ and will leave it a couple of days to talk to that team.
    She did confirm all discounts would apply on a SkyQ deal. The upgrade to Q would also automatically be 50% discounted to £6.

Now the interesting point. I understand as an existing Multiscreen customer I suffer when upgrading to Q Multiscreen. She advised giving notice of 31 days on Multiscreen before upgrading to Q and then adding Q Multiscreen. That reduces the overall one off cost from £xxx to £xxx.
    Got to get my gums around this as it is difficult to see exactly what a current subscriber without multiscreen pays against someone who has it. I can see this bit below.

From sky t&c
    A fee of £99 is payable per additional TV and we'll lend you one Sky Q Mini per extra TV, at no cost.
    For existing Sky TV customers without Sky+ Multiscreen, the first additional TV fee is discounted to £30.
  • brewerdave
    Options

I called up tonight and got a great advisor who was able to apply a further 50% discount £6 to Multiscreen (Up from 35% last year). I could not get anything on SportsHD so gave notice on that of 31 days. It remains on last years discount (60%) for most of that period anyway.

...interesting as my new deal was 60% off everything inc the HD Pack,which I hadn't been able to get discounted last year!! Thus paying £3.60 pm less this time round.
    Just shows that they make it up as they go along:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure