Food Standards Agency Ratings Warning

abandonded
abandonded Posts: 305 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 5 May 2018 at 3:36PM in Praise, vent & warnings
I was very surprised to read that a number of popular eating places in my area were given the classification !!!8220;Improvement Needed!!!8221;at the last inspection rather than a !!!8220;Pass!!!8221; as given to most places inspected.
Is there any way one can find out exactly what is wrong with these establishments which failed to get a pass? You can check out your favourite eating places here:

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/food-hygiene-rating-scheme

PS. No idea where the numbers are coming from. I delete them but they keep reappearing.
Abandoned

Comments

• Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The numbers are IIRC something to do with Apple devices/IOS and certain symbols.

If you go to the page you linked to and click the search you can get a return for companies and see how they did in each to the categories.
    I think this link should do it direct http://ratings.food.gov.uk/

Often the reason for a lower rating in a good place might be because they've not necessarily got the most modern facilities, or the training isn't quite up to scratch.

One of my favourite places had a low rating in one of the categories because they are based in an older premises and IIRC it was something like not having a separate delivery area, whilst another place (that I stopped using ages ago) had a great rating for the facilities but a very low rating for training.management and it showed (the food was variable quality hence why I stopped using them as it was barely cooked at times).

IIRC you can ask for the full report from the inspector as well, but they don't always provide.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    abandonded wrote: »
    I was very surprised to read that a number of popular eating places in my area were given the classification !!!8220;Improvement Needed!!!8221;at the last inspection rather than a !!!8220;Pass!!!8221; as given to most places inspected.
    Is there any way one can find out exactly what is wrong with these establishments which failed to get a pass? You can check out your favourite eating places here:

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/food-hygiene-rating-scheme

PS. No idea where the numbers are coming from. I delete them but they keep reappearing.

You have linked to the very site that gives you the answer
    Detailed information is included in the food safety officer’s inspection report. If you want to see this you could make a Freedom of Information (FOI) request to the local authority that carried out the inspection. You can find the local authority’s contact details by searching for the business and then clicking on the name of the business.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is this the same as scores on the doors?
    https://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    hollydays wrote: »
    Is this the same as scores on the doors?
    https://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk

No the original link is the genuine UK GOV site, the one you linked to appears to scrape the genuine one and add some adverts.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Use to hate EHO visits you can lose marks over the stupidest of things for example the fridge being too full but no allowances for having an event on that night and getting a delivery in the morning, mop bucket left out when the place was in the middle of a close down and mopping was the next job even a sticky door hinge meaning the door closes a little slow will doc you a point or two
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    To be honest the rating are useless. Give just a pointless score without any specifics. They shoukld stop checking most things and just score individually on the thinsg a customer can't check.

But then no nice simple score for idiots is there?
  • abandonded
    abandonded Posts: 305 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    They shoukld stop checking most things and just score individually on the thinsg a customer can't check.

Agreed. For example, on Rip Off Britain, yesterday, the programme highlighted 5 unnamed High St eating places all off which had a top rating of 5. Yet when a kids high chair from each of them was examined, all 5 had dangerously high levels of bacteria which could cause illness. Sadly, there were no comments from the councils which rated the eating houses.
    Abandoned
  • abandonded wrote: »
    Agreed. For example, on Rip Off Britain, yesterday, the programme highlighted 5 unnamed High St eating places all off which had a top rating of 5. Yet when a kids high chair from each of them was examined, all 5 had dangerously high levels of bacteria which could cause illness. Sadly, there were no comments from the councils which rated the eating houses.
    This morning our cat waltzed on the side in the kitchen while I filled his bowls. I wiped the side and did breakfast. I have done this for around forty years with various cats and have not suffered. I will do the same again tomorrow.
    Meanwhile watching the ogle box during the day gives you misery!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    abandonded wrote: »

I think exposure to germs is a good thing
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    hollydays wrote: »
    I think exposure to germs is a good thing

I love these ads where certain cleaning products claim to kill 99% of all known germs ... :rotfl:what about the 1% of germs it doesn't kill!!

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure