Work team

Options
Hi all,

Not technically about relationships but couldn't see where else to post - admin, please feel free to move and let me know where it goes!

So, last year I bought my team each a bottle of prosecco for Christmas. This year I have a bigger team (10 people) and would like to get them something as a gesture. It's going to be a lot more expensive if I buy prosecco, but if there are some good deals then I would be interested (see Sainsburys have the buy 6+ get 25% off).

I was also looking for alternatives to booze etc.

It gets more complex as I have some staff unfortunately off work poorly and I would like to also send them something such as flowers etc but they're quite expensive. I'm not being a scrooge, and my salary isn't much more than there's, but I would like to buy something just as a small thank you.

Thoughts welcomed! :)
"The future needs a big kiss"

Comments

• lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm personally not keen on alcohol being given as a present for me but would just accept and pass it on to someone who would be happy to take it off my hands.

My boss used to buy book tokens for his team. In fact vouchers such as Amazon, M&S or John Lewis are always good.
    Saving money right, left and centre
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Last year I bought my team each a Xmas candle in a tin, wrapped them all and they had a lucky dip. These are lovely but not especially cheap:
    https://www.lily-flame.co.uk/browse/c-Scented-Candles-11/c-Scented-Candle-Tins-1

The previous year I did the same with luxury shower gel/shampoos (Philosophy - they don't seem to do the Christmas set this year).

If you want to stick with prosecco, Aldi do some very reasonable ones, including a metallic special edition one for £7.49
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you KNOW they all appreciate alcohol, I'd avoid it: you just do not know what issues alcohol may cause in their domestic lives.

And sadly the same is true for things like chocolates: I'm in a small team but we have two vegetarians and one no-sugar-no-gluten, and multiplied across the rest of the organisation I think about half avoid certain foods.

Would anyone appreciate a nice mug? Or decent personalised pens? So no-one can nick anyone else's ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wouldn't bother. Just hand out cards. If you had to buy something, it should have been something like an advent calendar. Though still not convinced.

Have you checked you would be OK to send to people of sick, without it being turned on you, as it may be seen as intimidating those off sick.

When I've worked places even for a good few months I don't expect anything, on leaving. Let alone any other time. And most certainly not from someone on not much more wage then myself. Sorry it would be a horrible and awkward thing.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is the sort of thing that can get out of hand - probably half the staff are now thinking they'll have to buy you something because you gave them a present last year.

Give them each a Christmas card and buy a box of really nice biscuits or even a cake to share at coffee time.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 December 2019 at 8:43AM
    Options
    Deleted - duplicate post.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a nice thought, but in your shoes I think I wouldn't bother - after all in a few years you may have a team of 20 and then what will you do?!

Is there anything work related you can do - like a bit of flexibility with hours or time off for shopping etc? Not always possible I know, but always appreciated where it can be done.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Options
    With a team of 10 and you only being a little higher up the salary scale, I'd stop the individual gifts now while you have the perfect reason - the increased team is a little big for your means.

You can use cards to express personal thanks with a suitable message for each person including those off sick (but check HR policy).

Treats to share in Christmas week or buying the first round or a couple of bottles for the table if you have a Christmas event are reliable options. Our team goes to the Christmas market one lunchtime and the more senior staff buy mulled wine - just an example.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to work in a fun workplace many years ago where the team had sales targets. When we were doing well, we'd order in pizza for lunch. Or we might have a sales push to hit an extra target, if we hit target, we went home an hour early. Company got more sales, we got an hour off, everybody's a winner.

Is there any scope for something like this?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Options
    Pastries for breakfast?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure