Angry Bitter Husband

Comments

• https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/metformin/

The above link gives good information on mrtformin.

I read through your other thread and the bottles of wine seem to be more the cause. What's the timeline with everything? Did the drink start after the diabetes diagnosis. How were his moods prior to drink/illness.

Drinking and diabetes are a bad combination. Lots of sugar.
    Long term effects of uncontrolled diabetes are not pleasant.

Might be time to jump ship if he's not going to do anything to help himself. Hope your daughter can help - seems to be the last remaining chance.
    ::A
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2019 at 9:22AM
    I apologise for coming from a place of negativity but I have seen this play out in my life.

I went to uni with a lovely guy, bright, interesting, lively and super fun but in 100% absolute denial regards his diabetes. In fact more than that - he actively did everything he was told not to with an odd kind of grim satisfaction.

He died, young alone and in a poor physical state - he lost toes, his circulation was shot his feet were a mess and he was in pain. He just got angrier and angrier and it ate him up. The more diabetes kicked back the wilder he got. from his late teens to his thirties it was just an upward spiral of poor choices and bad behaviour. Diabetes was the cause and the excuse for everything. His long term partner left as he just couldn't deal.

It was like a madness, he couldn't be talked to, reasoned with or educated. All other aspects of his life he was intelligent and insightful but this one thing he was, sadly, closed off to.

Near the end, he mentioned in a state of angst that he always knew that diabetes would kill him. The poor man was dying but I had to resist the urge to shake him and say that this was 100 percent his own doing. No one or nothing else, it was all him.

(I should mention he was supported, offered counselling, interventions, was part of a fantastic diabetic clinic and had an outstanding diabetic nurse but he would lie, evade, object or disrupt and actively disengage - I mention this to show that with all the hope/support/interventions in the world unless the person themselves want to change any assistance is ultimately going to fail)
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    OP, I really do feel for you.

Elinore is quite right- there's only so much you can do. If he doesn't want to accept/manage his condition it's ultimately his look-out. If he won't show you the respect you deserve as his wife and the mother of his kids, you may well have to make the decision to leave the relationship. It may act as a wake-up call for him but whether it does or not, I think the time has come to put yourself (and by association your son and daughter) first. You're not his punch-bag and he shouldn't be treating you as such.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    It isn't your job to keep him off the sauce, steer him round the supermarket & generally mind his blood sugar & his temper.

It's his.

Daughter may have some input, but she has other things to think about & will soon have another responsibility by way of a husband.

Make plans to get you & son out of the house. Simpler before Christmas, not least as (a) all shelters are more crowded after & (b) a solitary Christmas might be the shock he needs to take responsibility for himself.

Sure there's "in sickness & in health", but there is also a certain amount of protecting what you have like your son & daughter.

"At least 7 years to go" on what? and can it be worth the damage that can happen in another 7 years? I don't usually advocate leaving, but I think this is a tragedy unrolling, and it makes sense to me to get out of the way.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If it's not possible to extricate yourself and son from the situation quickly, it might make sense for you and son to have a Friday night away once a fortnight. Then your O/H can get his bingeing done and out of his system alone with you safely out of the firing line until say Saturday afternoon when you can hopefully safely return.
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I am sorry coffeehound but that is skirting the issue.

The op has to decide herself the best course of action for her but she needs also to protect her son/ daughter and herself. Letting him drink to excess and then returning home doesnt protect them from his anger and volatility when they return.

You do need proper advice urgently as to a safe place and I`d suggest CAB as well as a domestic violence unit. This may not be physical but it is certainly emotional abuse.

If you threw away his alcohol I think it is likely you would be assaulted.

You cannot gamble on your own personal safety and that of your children.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Janb5, I made clear it was just a short-term measure to help secure OP and son's personal safety. Long-term options will probably take some weeks to arrange.

OP states that husband is particularly aggressive while drunk and therefore it would be best if they are elsewhere. It would give him a regular opportunity to drink in a safer controlled way without being at friends' house, etc. It would also mean the OP doesn't risk anger by having to complain or encourage him to stop. Sadly he appears to be set on self-destruction.
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 December 2019 at 7:54PM
    I agree it is a short term measure but it sounds as tho` this situation could very quickly escalate so emergency measures might be best.

What local initiatives are there in your area who could possibly help plus could extended family help?

Also sadly there are no guarantees that his anger might not spill over when they return to the house.

https://www.freedomprogramme.co.uk/
  • the way he is not looking after his health is going to lead to heart attack or stroke or both. do you want to stay and be a carer for this angry stupid man? feeling to guilty to leave. get out now before its to late
  • I am going to give a quick update I and my son have moved to my mums to give us some space and time for reflection thank you for all your helpful advice x
    Keeping both feet on solid ground
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport