Thoughts on Lidl?

Options

Comments

• Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    Aldi's exclusion will be purely down to the fact they now list hardly any items on mysupermarket for some reason.

A few years back when they did, i did a similar thing (based on stuff i tend to buy) & found ASDA to be the cheapest.

Maybe spat their dummy out when it was used to prove they exaggerate their claims

Would be interesting to see the list itemised to see if its like for like (ie own brand v own brand)
  • falcieri
    falcieri Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I shop at Morrisons because I save a fortune by mostly buying their yellow sticker reduced items (saved £52 this month) and many of their saver brands are cheaper than anywhere else to start with. However, some prices in Lidl are consistently lower than Morrisons though only a few are good for my budget and because I don't buy branded products. I go to Lidl for single cream, mushrooms, greek yoghurt, tinned mackerel and cream cheese spread which are cheaper than any of Morrisons prices before sale prices. Most of their veg is also consistently cheaper and of a good quality. I have found Aldi and Lidl's prices to be on par with each other so I don't bother with the extra journey to Aldi.
  • robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »

edit: Anyone doing a comparison at the moment should be aware that both Aldi & Lidl seem to be having on-going supply problems with Juice & Squash. Lidl is particularly badly affected with the range being smaller than usual, changing frequently, and shelves sometimes being completely empty (e.g. of squash) as customers swap between types in order to get anything at all.

It's sad as Lidl used to have a comprehensive range of No Added Sugar "Juices" that were very good, and good VFM, but they are almost all absent now.

Our Aldi has had Irish versions of the NAS squash in a different shaped bottle and I actually prefer the taste. Does anyone know what the issues are?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Ah yes the B word, aong with the e and c word where customers buy excess amount of food thinking the shops will be closed for a whole week.

I had a wry smile in Aldi last week. A customer and his son were returning a 'talking' teddy bear. The problem was that the teddy spoke Spanish and they wanted an English one. So this teddy got in to this country now but come November 1st he'll probably be sent back. Unless of course he was South American and could command a £30 000 salary then he'd be fine. :D
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    robrymond wrote: »
    Our Aldi has had Irish versions of the NAS squash in a different shaped bottle and I actually prefer the taste. Does anyone know what the issues are?

"Mi Wadi" is apparently Ireland's biggest squash brand, and is made by Britvic.

I'm looking for (the return of) the 2 litre NAS Double Concentrate squash at c. 89p. I bought 2 bottles (virtually identical) from Morrisons the other day for £1 each.
  • RDA
    RDA Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    Was the teddy bear's name Boris by any chance?
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    The main difference between Lidl (and Aldi) and Tesco is their ethos, Tesco are geared towards getting the maximum they can out of each customer that walks through the door consequently they want them to spend as much time as possible in the store whereas Lidl are geared to getting as many customers as possible through their stores and consequently want each customer to spend as little time as possible in the store.

I know which kind I prefer and then you add on how much cheaper they are......

........and then there is the middle aisle :D
  • Triple_Zero
    Triple_Zero Posts: 78 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2019 at 7:26PM
    Options
    I know which kind I prefer and then you add on how much cheaper they are......

........and then there is the middle aisle :D

Ah yes, the middle aisle.
    What a fantastic idea: peddle all the tat that manufacturers couldn't get rid of for love nor money because (basically) it's mostly stuff that no self-respecting person would ever need and certainly would never want unless you are being conned into thinking it's a bargain.
    Mostly, and I do stress "mostly", it is tat.
    Yes I know that sometimes both Aldi and Lidl do get some good stock and at good prices but be honest, it's not often.
    And when they do (think: Lidl TV's) there are so few of the genuinely cheap item that you stand zero chance of getting one.

For Aldi & Lidl I don't doubt that it's a great strategy but me, I've found the quality of products to be at best variable and prices not to be as cheap as elsewhere once I've looked, so now I don't bother with the middle aisles.
    From chalk paint that needed twice as many coats as normal stuff to kids shoes that barely lasted a month and duvet covers that didn't survive a single wash, I've learned to ignore them.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree that there can be good stuff in the middle aisles along with loads of tat.

Like you I've learned to ignore them, just as I ignore the endless offers on junk food in others supermarkets.

Shop with a list and stick to it is the best advice.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Julio72 wrote: »
    I have been shopping at Tesco for the past few years but recently I have been trying to save money and decided that I would switch supermarket to save a bit more money each month. I have seen that Lidl is the cheapest supermarket and I was wondering if anyone has any experience shopping there? I've heard the quality isn't as great but I'm not really too fussy when it comes to food so I don't think I would mind so much.

Cheapest-Supermarket-538x1024.png

Thoughts on Lidl? Every bit as good as Tesco but about 30% cheaper. Pretty much the same products, from the same suppliers, and certainly not in any way inferior to Tesco.

Very long checkout queues though, because they're trying to force people to use their automated checkouts, which are diabolical and simply don't work properly. They're far too slow and far too prone to calling over an assistant to sort them out.

Aldi has very similar prices and much better customer service. It also tries to appeal to Waitrose customers (very successfully) while Lidl remains more downmarket. No more downmarket than Tesco, Asda and Morrisons though.

Lidl also scores much worse than Aldi in Which? for customer service. I'd agree - in our local Lidl the staff make little attempt to communicate with customers and are sometimes downright rude.

You'll gather that I much prefer Aldi, but we do still use Lidl. Forget Tesco and the others though - unless you like paying a third more for much the same thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure