Concert not as advertised/billed

Does anyone know the best way to get my money back from Ticketweb. Concert billed as "Frankie Miller's Full House" and includes description "Frankie Miller is a true legend of the British music scene with a powerful voice that has drawn numerous comparisons". Since found out the FM no longer performs as he had a stroke some years back. Even a poster at the venue is billed as Full House plays Frankie Miller but both the venue and ticketweb advertise as described. Ticketweb say they only refund cancellations and say before booking I should have checked all details and that I was 100% happy before purchase. I believe this is false advertising (hopefully you agree) and would like to know how best to pursue this. Thanks

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The band appears to be called "Frankie Miller's Full House", so that is who you would be going to see. So it is probably not false advertising.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    If they are called "Frankie Miller's Full House" then I would expect Frankie Miller* to be involved (in some capacity). The additional description does appear misleading ... "Frankie Miller is a true legend of the British music scene with a powerful voice that has drawn numerous comparisons". If he's had a stroke and is no longer performing then that should have said "was".

* Never heard of him.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They've probably assumed that any fans are aware that he hasn't been performing for some time.
  • Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    davembro wrote: »
    Does anyone know the best way to get my money back from Ticketweb. Concert billed as "Frankie Miller's Full House" and includes description "Frankie Miller is a true legend of the British music scene with a powerful voice that has drawn numerous comparisons". Since found out the FM no longer performs as he had a stroke some years back. Even a poster at the venue is billed as Full House plays Frankie Miller but both the venue and ticketweb advertise as described. Ticketweb say they only refund cancellations and say before booking I should have checked all details and that I was 100% happy before purchase. I believe this is false advertising (hopefully you agree) and would like to know how best to pursue this. Thanks

Happened in 1994...
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DoaM wrote: »
    If he's had a stroke and is no longer performing then that should have said "was".

* Never heard of him.

"Was" implies a person is dead.

Miller is a Scottish singer who had a hit in the late 1970s with a song called "Darlin'".

There are plenty of examples of singers/bands calling themselves by names, they have no connection to. The singer Englebert Humperdinck uses the name of a German composer who died in 1921.

So the question is, are FMFH trying to fool the public that Miller is performing with them? They have been apparently performing for several years so I think the answer is no.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'm pretty sure you can still buy tickets to see the Glenn Miller Orchestra (*) and he's been presumed (**) dead for nigh on 75 years :D

It's the difference between Frankie Miller and/with Full House and Frankie Miller's Full House. Were they always known as the latter? If you look for some of the big name rock bands that don't have the original stars they often get billed as [Band] featuring X and Y so you know that the rest are not the originals or X's [Band] so you know that X is there even if no other original member is. I guess that's often about who has the rights to the name so you might have two versions working at the same time.

I agree with DoaM that it's a misleading phrase to say "Is" and imply that Frankie is performing with the band or at least directing it. If a formal complaint gets you nowhere - maybe the press will help you put on some pressure especially if there are 50 other people with the same tickets who haven't yet realised.

(*) the UK website clearly says directed by Ray McVey The US website makes you go down a level or two to find that version is now led by somebody called Nick Hilscher.

(**) OK - maybe he didn't die in a plane crash in 1944 - but if he's alive - he's 115 and not likely to be up for two hours on stage with a trombone.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • davembro wrote: »

Is this a wind up?

You bought tickets to a gig for someone most haven't heard of. Yet you're that much of a fan you didn't know he'd retired.
  • 'xxx yyy' plays FV is never going to be FV...it's clear they are just going to be doing his songs
  • Only the poster at the venue says "...plays FM". The advert does not.
    FYI (Shaun of the dead) old *arts like me have heard of lots of artists from the 60s and 70s but don't keep track on the health of all of them - this was meant to be a blast from the past.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Even a poster at the venue is billed as Full House plays Frankie Miller

I would fully expect that to be a band called "Full House" to be playing "Frankie Miller" songs.
    https://www.facebook.com/Fullhouse.PLAY.FrankieMiller
    Their face book page...
    Life in the slow lane
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills