Receiving faulty Chromebook

Options
Hi,
I recently received a free Chromebook as part of a promotion Google ran for purchasing a pixel 4.
Upon turning on the device it has a dead pixel in the middle of the screen.
I contacted support on the promotion website about it. They stated they cannot do anything with them as it is a technical fault and should contact HP. I contacted HP and they said they can't do anything either as they state one dead pixel is not an issue, they would only do something of there were 3 or more dead pixels as part of a pixel policy on their website, they class it as a sub pixel fault not a full pixel fault. So both parties are stating I have to make do.
The question I have is, the device was faulty/damaged upon being received. Surely one of the party's should be able to do something about this. I'd understand if the product is out of warranty or it was something that developed somewhere down the line. Not as a fault upon receiving the item.
Am I able to do anything about this or do I have to make do?

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    GlenDT wrote: »
    Hi,
    I recently received a free Chromebook as part of a promotion Google ran for purchasing a pixel 4.
    Upon turning on the device it has a dead pixel in the middle of the screen.
    I contacted support on the promotion website about it. They stated they cannot do anything with them as it is a technical fault and should contact HP. I contacted HP and they said they can't do anything either as they state one dead pixel is not an issue, they would only do something of there were 3 or more dead pixels as part of a pixel policy on their website, they class it as a sub pixel fault not a full pixel fault. So both parties are stating I have to make do.
    The question I have is, the device was faulty/damaged upon being received. Surely one of the party's should be able to do something about this. I'd understand if the product is out of warranty or it was something that developed somewhere down the line. Not as a fault upon receiving the item.
    Am I able to do anything about this or do I have to make do?
    If one dead pixel is "within tolerance" then it's not considered faulty. I think you'll have to make do, unless it was a gift associated with an online order you've made in the last 14 days, perhaps?
  • GlenDT
    Options
    Thanks for the response.
    After purchasing a pixel 4 from a participating retailer. I had to submit a receipt to Google. They then stated the Chromebook would be received within 30-60 days. I purchased the pixel 4 on the 28th of October and received the Chromebook a couple of days ago. Does this make any difference?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    I don't think it does. I was hoping that the chrome book may have been a promotional item as part of an online order made in the last fortnight, whereby you could have exercised your right to cancel the order and return the main item and the chrome book for a refund. Mind you, I guess the promotion may not be running now anyway.

Sorry to say I think you'll have to live with it. Perhaps you could sell it and put the proceeds towards a new one?
  • GlenDT
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I was afraid of this. Only consolation is HP said the warranty is for one year so if anymore die I can get it repaired in the future. Oh well. Slightly annoying
  • The_Rainmaker
    Options
    Press on the dead pixel quite hard with your finger for 10-15 seconds it may repair itself.
  • timmy963
    timmy963 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Press on the dead pixel quite hard with your finger for 10-15 seconds it may repair itself.

*Breaks screen with finger*
  • The_Rainmaker
    Options
    timmy963 wrote: »
    *Breaks screen with finger*

Only a total fanny would manage that.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Only a total fanny would manage that.
    Yea sure press quite hard and the screen breaks, you would need to be a fanny to follow that advice.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I would consider any amount of dead pixels as cause for replacement tbh on a brand new unit !!
    Ive never even heard of a "pixel policy" before

Iv learnt something today .. I reckon that's pretty poor show by HP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family