Adopting a dog ..........

13»

Comments

• RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    We had Sydney DNA tested to find out what he is everyone asks what he is.

Turns out he is miniature poodle, schnauzer, bichon frise, chihuahua and pomeranian. A proper mongrel!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We had Sydney DNA tested to find out what he is everyone asks what he is.

Turns out he is miniature poodle, schnauzer, bichon frise, chihuahua and pomeranian. A proper mongrel!

Or you could say when asked that's he's a special variety of....poodle, or schnauzer, or whatever you fancy! Or ask them to guess... that could be a long conversation!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    It's Christmas time.
    Even the most laid back rehoming folk are going to be twitchy about an unexpected client. While it is savagely frustrating to think of all those dogs left in kennels hoping & waiting - you will (alas) get a better range of choice later in the new year when those who didn't get the memo about a dog being for life dump their outgrown friends.

Very best of luck, and remember, to adopt an older dog is a Very special act.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    svain wrote: »
    It is ridiculous how difficult it is to adopt a UK dog from rescue centres nowadays ... Unless you tick "every" box they just arent bothered ... and even if you are eligible tt is like they are doing us a favour and charging an eye-watering fee in the process. I hated the experience .... and just highlighted to me why people use less desirable options (gumtree, breeders etc) .... Fortunately i did find my perfect dog in the end.

I can’t speak for dogs, but the £70 or so cats charities charge doesn’t really cover neutering, Fleaing, worming, microchipping, etc.

I do want to get a cat in the new year, but I’ll probably buy a pedigree as I’d prefer a grey or light/medium brown cat, maybe a Burmese.
    I love the silky fur and the clever personalities.
  • Rescues have to be picky about who they rehome to, otherwise the number of dogs that bounce back to them is very high - which isn't good for anyone, least of all the confused and stressed dogs!

Many smaller rescues I know are happier to take each dog and potential owner on their own merit rather than having blanket rules e.g. no kids under 10. But personally, I'd rather be turned down for a dog that the rescue thinks is unsuitable for me than me adopt it and then realise it's not suitable - turning the poor thing's life upside down again if it has to go back into rescue.

Adoption fees aren't generally that high 'up north' where I live - but do vary from rescue to rescue. Anywhere from around £80 to £350 per dog - even the top end isn't bad when you take into account the vaccinations, neutering etc as another poster mentioned. Many vets would charge me £250+ to spay a dog the size of mine (on the large side of medium) You'd definitely pay more for a fancily named cross breed of puppy on Scumtree without having all of that included.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    I can’t speak for dogs, but the £70 or so cats charities charge doesn’t really cover neutering, Fleaing, worming, microchipping, etc.

I do want to get a cat in the new year, but I’ll probably buy a pedigree as I’d prefer a grey or light/medium brown cat, maybe a Burmese.
    I love the silky fur and the clever personalities.

Dogs are around £300 for many rescue centres
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Rescues are hard to get placed with.

We avoided them because we work full time. Which is an automatic rejection regardless of how often you can get home during the day.

We got our dog off Gumtree. He was in a home but had been there just 4 months. The house was a show home and he lived in the kitchen predominately and had a dog flap. We believe they liked the idea of a big dog but then realised they couldnt cope. He weighed 26kg.

We visited him on the saturday and went back for him on the sunday. 6months later the vet was far happier at his 36kg weight/muscle. He is very loved and has been with us 2.5 years.

We got lucky and so did he :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport