Electric cars

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 August 2018 at 5:29PM
    No reality and the I-Pace prove YOU wrong. JLR have done what you claim is impossible.

An old established ICE manufacturer who have, in the space of a few years (nowhere near the decade you guess at) designed, engineered and produced (admittedly via a third party but that is due to capacity constraints in the UK) a fully fledged Tesla worrying EV. With a newly designed, from the ground up EV/hybrid platform, for all their new models, due soon, once space is made at Solihull.

To quote Dr. Wolfgang Ziebart (Jaguars Technical Design Director) with regards the I-Pace "from a clean sheet of paper to a customer car in four years" (Tesla have taken 15 years to reach where they are now ;))

You really need to review what you write, stop contradicting yourself, stop banging on about GM (because it fits your narrative) and changing the point to fit your Tesla centric view. :rotfl:

Still pushing the Tesla fanboi angle I see. Perhaps you should review my positive comments about Jaguar.

You seem to have some strange ideological approach to this issue, highlighted by your claims to know about EV production, yet admitted not knowing about the Bolt (possibly the most important EV that's come out - maybe the Model 3, maybe the Bolt as it's from an old ICE company), and still claiming the I-Pace took two years to develop and bring to market.

Clearly I've challenged your automotive knowledge (and found it wanting), and that's upset you, but please don't dismiss reality, for the old boys to:
    1. Develop an EV.
    2. Develop a good EV.
    3. Develop a good EV that they can sell (has adequate demand).
    4. Develop a good EV that they can sell and make a profit on.

is not an easy thing. Just because they can build 'a car' doesn't mean they can build a desirable and profitable EV.

The sooner they can the better, and the I-Pace is extremely good news as it competes for a market share perhaps just below the X and above the coming Y, and this will further all EV's.

So, overall, do I still disagree with your original claim:
    Tesla started from scratch, no mean feat admittedly, but they would have had to overcome a lot of problems that established players just won't have to face.

I'm afraid I still do based on GM's and PSA's issues, and the fact that ICE's and EV's (true EV's, not hobbled together attempts to electrify an existing ICE model) are different animals, and require development of the electronics side, particularly the production, or partnership of quality batteries that can meet the already higher demands that customers expect (even Nissan fell foul of this with the 40kWh pack).

Anyway's, clearly we aren't going to see eye to eye on this, and your decision to go down the pathetic 'fanboi' route screams desperation, so perhaps we should end this now on a note we can both agree, and wish Jaguar all the very best with the I-Pace, which by all appearances and reviews, is an excellent addition to the growing ranks of decent EV's.

BTW, I'm not sure if you were serious or not about the 'Tesla worrying EV bit', this may just have been a projection of your going down the fanboi rabbithole and assuming such a remark would somehow irk me. This is an extremely over used claim, alongside 'Tesla killer', everytime a new EV is shown to the world. The car market is huge, and demand for quality EV's is far greater than supply, so the I-Pace is not a 'Tesla worrier' in the same way that a Model X is not a 'Jaguar worrier'. They are both ICE worriers.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Andy_L wrote: »
    ISTR reading that, in the USA, pick-up trucks are in a different classification to cars & so have to conform to lower thus be built to lower standards (safety, emissions, fuel economy etc) and are thus cheaper
    Interesting - I wonder if it's also a different tax bracket in some cases - commercial vehicles? I gather that is/was a key factor in Ireland leading to the Land Rover Discovery and Range Rover Classic being built with no side windows and taxed as a van.

So the Tesla Pick-Up Martyn mentions would probably far exceed the (lowered) standards for emissions and economy but could it hit the price point? From a fleet perspective - you go back to total cost of running it but from a second-car or cowboy-image prospect it might have to look different from that link.

Would this catch on:
    a214a168-tesla-model-s-pickup-truck.jpg
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Martyn1981
    More good EV news from UPS who are already using / trialing loads of low emissions vehicles such as the Workhorse step vans. They are now trying out another EV van from Thor.

UPS Will Test Medium Duty Class 6 Electric Trucks From Thor
    UPS is constantly seeking new, more efficient, more environmentally friendly ways to deliver the packages that are the core of its business. Worldwide, it has about 9,300 low emissions vehicles in its fleet. They run the gamut from electric trucks to vehicles that are powered by hybrid electric, hydraulic hybrid, ethanol, compressed natural gas, liquefied natural gas, and propane. In some places, it even uses old fashioned pedal power to get the job done.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Would this catch on:
    It's pretty damn cool, but it's more in the El Camino/Aussie "Ute" mould than the F150. Not a great workhorse, at all - forget 8' x 4' sheets of ply or plasterboard or whatever in the back, for a start.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 2 August 2018 at 5:56PM
    Interesting - I wonder if it's also a different tax bracket in some cases - commercial vehicles? I gather that is/was a key factor in Ireland leading to the Land Rover Discovery and Range Rover Classic being built with no side windows and taxed as a van.

So the Tesla Pick-Up Martyn mentions would probably far exceed the (lowered) standards for emissions and economy but could it hit the price point? From a fleet perspective - you go back to total cost of running it but from a second-car or cowboy-image prospect it might have to look different from that link.

I'd assume that the Tesla pickup (or any large pickup) will cost way more than the Ford F series, Rams, Silverado's etc, especially since, as you say, the larger heavier vehicles are actually allowed to meet lower standards (crazy!).

So it'll be down to total operating costs, but also versatility. Tesla will have the ability to power tools, which could be ideal for those 'out and about'. The Workhorse range extender can do this and has excellent specs.

What little Elon has confirmed is that the Tesla pick up will be a full size (like the F series, not the tiny Rangers we see in the UK). It'll seat 6, and (he may have been boasting, not sure) fit Andre the Giant in the drivers seat (in response to a question from someone who was 6ft 8in if memory serves me).

It'll pull, like only an EV can pull, and do 400 miles range. Though that range sounds questionable to me, as for a large slab of a vehicle, I'd assume it'll need a 150kWh+ battery pack?

Edit - Apologies, I missed the link giving the what we know so far on the pick up. Really interesting. M.

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Would this catch on:

The only place that would sell would be Australia. A green bogan's dream car.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 August 2018 at 6:27PM
    Martyn - you've mentioned the Tavares/PSA comments several times now, but let's have a look at the reality, shall we?

Firstly, Tavares might be the head of PSA, but he was actually speaking at an industry event with his other hat on - chair of the European automotive industry lobby group, ACEA.

Did he refer to a Chinese trojan horse? Yes. But in the context of the penalties that European corporate average CO2 figures would have on European manufacturers, whose sales are primarily European. Clearly, it would have a much harsher effect on them than on manufacturers whose business is centred elsewhere - outside the effect of the caps. But he also explicitly stated that PSA were on track to meet the proposed caps at the time of introduction.

He also explicitly referred to the fact that a European manufacturing group who got into trouble would not be able to be taken over by another European manufacturer, because of monopoly/anti-trust regs. That's where the "trojan horse" comes in.

https://evbulletin.com/content/psa-group-ceo-eu-s-planned-2020-co2-auto-industry-fines-will-create-chinese-trojan-horse

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/08/psa-group-ceo-says-proposed-2020-co2-fines-in-europe-would-create-chinese-trojan-horse/

At about the same time - the first month or two of this year - he also said that PSA's product range would be "100% electrified" by 2025, with "40 electrified vehicles" in the range.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/r-peugeot-ceo-all-psa-vehicles-will-electrified-by-2025-2018-1

Yes, "electrified" includes hybrids and PHEVs as well as "full" EVs, but even so - it's a very different spin from that you've put on matters from a single EV-focussed source. It certainly does not suggest a group that is running as scared as you like to make out.
  • Martyn1981
    Taking the design, development, manufacturing and other costs into consideration, I doubt that Tesla is even breaking even with Model 3 at current production levels, never mind making a 30% profit.

Just a quick update following the Q2 earnings call. Tesla have suggested a 20-25% gross margin on the Model 3 at an average selling price of about $40k. As the base car starts at $35k and base long range starts at $44k, then I'd assume (guess) that the ASP will be closer to $50k, which seems to substantiate Munro & Assoc's estimated profit figure.

Hopefully this kind of success will speed up the rollout of more EV's from more companies.

• Martyn1981
    edited 3 August 2018 at 7:48AM
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Martyn - you've mentioned the Tavares/PSA comments several times now, but let's have a look at the reality, shall we?

That's strange, last we 'chatted' you threw out a whole string of false claims and accusations about the Model 3 future production numbers, but seem to now want to switch conversations - PSA fanboi perhaps? ;)

BTW - the Model 3 is already in 8th spot in the US for all cars, not just the small/midsize luxury segment (where it is top). So I stand by my guess:
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    1. Tesla may be taking market share from 'ordinary' cars, not just the small luxury market. I'm only guessing, but the Model 3 could/might outsell all other cars from Aug 18 to July 19 in the US. Might even get close to the Ford F150 pick up. Quite an achievement.

Oh, and just for clarification, my excitement has little to do with Tesla as an individual, but the message that will be made/sent if an EV can get to, or close to top spot in US car sales.

• Martyn1981
    edited 3 August 2018 at 7:49AM
    Looks like a very big legal battle's a-coming!

California vows to 'fight this stupidity' as EPA moves to scrap clean car rules
    The Trump administration has moved to weaken US vehicle emissions standards and has set up a major confrontation with California by scrapping its ability to enact stricter pollution standards and mandate the sale of electric cars.

In one of its most significant efforts yet to curtail policies designed to address climate change, the Environmental Protection Agency has proposed freezing fuel efficiency standards at 2020 levels, removing the requirement that cars and light trucks be able to travel more than 46 miles per gallon of fuel by 2026. The 2020 standard would be around 32 miles per gallon.

The reversal of an Obama-era deal with automakers in 2012 will also withdraw a waiver California has under the Clean Air Act to exceed the national standards by requiring even more efficient cars. A dozen other states and Washington DC also follow higher standards.

The EPA said it wants a !!!8220;50-state fuel economy!!!8221; system and has claimed the reversal will have !!!8220;negligible environmental impacts on air quality!!!8221; and even result in thousands fewer deaths on the roads each year. The administration!!!8217;s assertion that lighter, more fuel efficient cars are more dangerous has been disputed by transport experts.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback