Electric cars

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 August 2018 at 5:18PM
    What do you think are the differences?

I have spent a fair bit of time in car factories and I cannot think of any significant differences between ICE and EV.

You could run them down the same production line, one behind the other.

From older negative comments made by older car companies, and the 'preachings' of Bob Lutz who is wheeled out everytime Tesla gets some good news, I'd guess at a few.

1. They don't want to change. They make a product that needs more expense to keep it going and more and more expense as it gets older. Not sure how many cars get to 200,000+ miles, but a Tesloop vehicle didn't even need new brake pads till then.

2. They have dealership networks, and the dealerships know that EV's will kill them both in direct sales (order on the internet) and yearly income (EV's little, or sometimes no annual servicing).

3. The dealership network means they sell wholesale, not retail.

4. They simply didn't enter the game soon enough (apart from a few like Nissan) and haven't yet got the EV expertise. Ford US is even pulling out of selling cars, but if EV's can do what EV's look like doing, then their fallback on pickups could also collapse.

5. Batteries, obviously, they are not all the same (as someone once claimed on here) and can make or break an EV both in cost and range.

6. EV's can and should be more of a technical tool, than the more simple ICE's, but technological innovation, especially disruptions, tends to favour the young, not the old in business.

I'm sure there are a myriad of additional factors, but it all probably comes back to point one. They didn't (possibly don't) believe in EV's and have squandered about a decade.

The Bolt is a perfect example, it leapfrogged the Leaf (at the time), beat Tesla to market by a year, but wasn't supplied to states that wanted it, was discounted in states that didn't want it, and production numbers remain small (around 2,000 per month) demonstrating to me that it's nothing more than a compliance vehicle built to keep some parties happy/quiet.

The big boys should have the money and expertise to have left Tesla in their dust 5yrs ago, but instead they laughed at the Prius and Leaf and Tesla's ..... whose laughing now.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    To prove a point...

Why did it need proving, were you unsure of your own claim?

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Why did it need proving, were you unsure of your own claim?

No Martin.

If you look back to post 1913, you will see that I said...
    I have spent a fair bit of time in car factories and I cannot think of any significant differences between ICE and EV.

You could run them down the same production line, one behind the other

I said "could" because at the time I was unaware that it was actually being done.

My next post showed that not only could it be done, but it actually is being done. Proving my point.

I can run through it again if you like...
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 August 2018 at 6:34PM
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Nope, it's theory, since reality shows the exact opposite of what you are claiming.

The companies with little to no experience designing and building EV's are way, way behind.

If it truly was as simple as your theory, then all the 'big boys' would do it today, and do it well, but they are far behind companies like Tesla, Nissan and Renault.

PSA are even arguing for protection from the more experienced EV companies.

The interesting point, I believe, is when you said you weren't interested in GM and the Bolt, a car company, and car that seems to show the exact opposite of your theory, since they have the size, the age and the market share, but can't build a profitable competitor to the Tesla 3.

A simpler floorpan, and less complicated shape on an EV, despite needing to encompass the battery pack?

Not talking about an unwillingness to change, we were talking about an inability to make the actual car and sell at a profit when the similar, but better Tesla 3 has an estimated 30% profit margin.

Sorry, but you really don't have a clue about building cars do you?

Yes, a much simpler shape to encompass a relatively uniform shaped battery pack as opposed to a floorpan that has to accommodate a transmission tunnel, room for the diffs, room for the exhaust system including DPFs, catalytic converters and a few other things.

Again.

The only difference is the drive train, replace all the ICE's complicated cogs, gears, drive shafts, differentials, transfer box, exhaust pipe, catalytic converter, DPF (if diesel) fuel tank and fuel system with a battery, a couple of motors and a bit more wire.

Everything else is the same. If not please explain what is different?

As for the why they aren't, I think you answered your own question in post #1917
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 August 2018 at 6:35PM
    And Magna, for the avoidance of doubt, is a contract manufacturer, one of several. They build cars for other people - 200,000/year capacity. They'll be building the Jag i-Pace alongside the e-Pace (and 5-series for BMW, 4wd E-classes and G-wagens for Merc).

They're being a bit flexible with the truth in their press release, though - Valmet were building the Fisker Karma and Ford Th!nk nearly a decade ago, alongside their bulk business - which currently includes A- and GLC-class Mercs. Back in the day, they built my ol' Saab 900.

There are plenty of others building their own EVs on the same lines as their hybrid and "vanilla" cars. Some of them are building them separately, sure - but others are using the same lines as ICEs. Buy a Zoe? It was built next to Clios. Buy a Leaf? It's coming out of Sunderland, alongside Jukes and the like.

The real production line difference is between "vanilla" and hybrid - because that's where high voltage electrics and battery packs start. Hybrids are coming out of Honda Swindon and Toyota Burnaston and BMW Cowley. Hybrids are coming out of most people's plants...

Tesla's production woes haven't been down to batteries. They've been down to trying to automate too much, too fast.
  • Martyn1981
    No Martin.

If you look back to post 1913, you will see that I said...

I said "could" because at the time I was unaware that it was actually being done.

My next post showed that not only could it be done, but it actually is being done. Proving my point.

I can run through it again if you like...

Yep, that's what I thought, you said it in one post, then proclaimed 'you'd proven' an unchallenged point. Very strange.

• Martyn1981
    Yes, a much simpler shape to encompass a relatively uniform shaped battery pack as opposed to a floorpan that has to accommodate a transmission tunnel, room for the diffs, room for the exhaust system including DPFs, catalytic converters and a few other things.

Again.

The only difference is the drive train, replace all the ICE's complicated cogs, gears, drive shafts, differentials, transfer box, exhaust pipe, catalytic converter, DPF (if diesel) fuel tank and fuel system with a battery, a couple of motors and a bit more wire.

As for the why they aren't, I think you answered your own question in post #1917

You appear to be going in circles, you claimed that building an ICE or EV is simple for an established car company, You've guoted how many years JLR have been around, how many years you've been around and dismissed any interest in GM's age and EV attempts.

But the point remains, if it's so easy, then they'd all be doing it today, and making a profit on them 'like what' Tesla is doing, after all Tesla is much younger and has a massive profit margin on the Model 3 (estimated by the German strip down, and US strip down companies) but they are not.

So it seems that reality doesn't agree with your theory, when your theory/claims are actually tested in the real world.

As to why your theory/claims are wrong, I don't know, I've made a few suggestions and guesses to help you out, but the issue was can long established companies easily switch from ICE's to EV's, and it seems to be a lot harder than you thought/think.

Everything else is the same. If not please explain what is different?

I don't need to. I've simply pointed out that reality proves your claims wrong, I'm not theorizing against you, I'm simply pointing out that you got it wrong.

Perhaps, just perhaps you could consider or contemplate the idea that GM's 110yrs of ICE experience, or your 30yrs in the car industry, simply don't matter that much as ICE's and EV's are different animals. It's interesting (to me) that the Bolt (even on first release) got higher CR scores than the rest of the Chevy range, yet was designed and built with considerable help from LG, seeming to indicate that building EV's needs additional/new expertise.
    Sorry, but you really don't have a clue about building cars do you?

That's correct, and I'd suggest the same clearly applies to you with regard to EV's. Perhaps that's the problem.

• Martyn1981
    Some EV news:

1. Tesla may be taking market share from 'ordinary' cars, not just the small luxury market. I'm only guessing, but the Model 3 could/might outsell all other cars from Aug 18 to July 19 in the US. Might even get close to the Ford F150 pick up. Quite an achievement.

Tesla Model 3 Sales Skyrocket, US Toyota Camry & Prius Sales Plummet — Coincidence?

2. New Legislation To Revolutionize EV Charging In The UK

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 August 2018 at 7:32AM
    Building an EV from scratch isn't easy. They are simpler in principle but highly complex in practice.

Manufacturing one however, once the design and development stages are complete, is no different to manufacturing an ICE vehicle.

Taking the design, development, manufacturing and other costs into consideration, I doubt that Tesla is even breaking even with Model 3 at current production levels, never mind making a 30% profit.

Edit: Looking around the web, it seems that Model 3 production would need to hit around 4000 a week to break even. Are they doing that yet?
  • Martyn1981
    edited 2 August 2018 at 8:01AM
    Building an EV from scratch isn't easy. They are simpler in principle but highly complex in practice.

Yep.
    Manufacturing one however, once the design and development stages are complete, is no different to manufacturing an ICE vehicle.

Yep, it's that design and development stage that seems to cost a fortune as ICE's and EV's are such different animals. Seems to take perhaps a decade to get there looking at Nissan and Tesla, since ICE experience doesn't appear to account for much.
    Taking the design, development, manufacturing and other costs into consideration, I doubt that Tesla is even breaking even with Model 3 at current production levels, never mind making a 30% profit.

Take a look at the reports from the breakdown experts. Munro and Associates seemed genuinely shocked. Compared the integrated electronics to an F-35 flight controller, and a symphony of engineering

Munro Teardown Shows Tesla Model 3 Solidly Profitable
    Edit: Looking around the web, it seems that Model 3 production would need to hit around 4000 a week to break even. Are they doing that yet?

They hit a burst rate of 5,000 at the end of July, and sustained production now seems to be around 5,000, but expect lots of variation (up and down) for some months. They are still targeting 6,000 per week by the end of August and 10,000 next year.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback