PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Backdated Service Charge

Options
Hi everyone

Following on from my first time purchase of a flat in the summer, I have now received my first six month demand in advance, which broadly speaking is what I was expecting apart from a backdated amount from a previous year.

2018/2019

Balancing charge £162.32

Surely this should have been billed before now. I don't know what the works were as I wasn't here. It hardly seems fair to Bill me as I was not the leaseholder in that year. Are they allowed to do this?

It was an auction purchase so no legal pack and solicitor not to blame.

Where do I stand please.

Thank you

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 October 2019 at 6:07PM
    Options
    It is common for the service charge to be estimated for the coming year (or 6 months/whatever), and then to be adjusted at the end of the period based on the actual costs.

So if the costs of electricity rose, or the cleaning company increased their charges, or whatever, then an additional amount may be billed to the leaseholders.

The way this is dealt with in normal sales is that a retention is held back from the seller, and either used to pay any additional charge, or passed to the seller later if there is no extra to pay.

I suspect with an auction, it's 'buyer beware'.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    horse99 wrote: »

Where do I stand please.

Unfortunately you'll probably have to pay it and you're to blame. This is usually covered by a retention organised by the conveyancer - it was your choice to risk not doing this during the purchase.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Surely this should have been billed before now. I don't know what the works were as I wasn't here. It hardly seems fair to Bill me as I was not the leaseholder in that year. Are they allowed to do this?

As others say, you are responsible for paying this.

There would have been a legal pack for an auction property.

The 'official' answer to your question is that you should have assessed the risk of a service charge shortfall before bidding, and adjusted your bidding accordingly.

The legal pack might have contained some service charge accounts etc, which might have helped you assess the risk.

Having said this, when I bought a flat at auction many years ago, the contract included a retention. So it might be worth double checking with your solicitor.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    So it might be worth double checking with your solicitor.
    They OP didn't use one...
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Slithery wrote: »
    They OP didn't use one...

I'm assuming that...

.... means that the OP had a solicitor, who was not to blame.

(But there would be a legal pack for an auction property, so the OP is probably mistaken about that.)
  • tacticalbanjo
    Options
    The service charge for 2018/2019 might have only been finalised very recently.

My old flat's management committee AGM was in September and the accounts for the previous financial year were settled then. If the service charges collected covered expenditure then the excess went to the sinking fund, if the expenditure was more than the service charge income then we would have received a bill. In practice we never received a bill because the management company tried to keep the sinking fund healthy with decent inputs every year.

Liability for service charge falls on the leaseholder - you've taken over as leaseholder so it falls to you. Often solicitors will ask for retainer from the person selling the leasehold in case of a shortfall but if you bought at auction this wouldn't have been an option. When I sold my flat, the buyers solicitor asked for a £200 retainer which we couldn't claim for 15 months as we had to wait for the annual accounts to be finalised to ensure that our buyer could cover any unexpected service charges relating to the period of time we owned the flat.
  • loubel
    loubel Posts: 824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As has been said, it is usual for service charges to be finalised some time after the costs were incurred, so yes they can do this and as the current leaseholder you are responsible for paying them.

In a standard purchase the costs would be apportioned between buyer and seller and you would expect to have a retention in place to cover future balancing charges. In auction purchases it is more usual for the buyer to cover all such costs. You would need to read your contract to see what was agreed and you should have been able to view the service charge accounts in the legal pack before bidding. Fortunately it isn't a large amount in this case!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure