Santander OTP: Note now case sensitive..maybe?.

soulsaver
soulsaver Posts: 5,963 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 18 October 2019 at 3:24PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Heads up: Story short: Santander maybe changing their OTP process to being case sensitive... I think it's usually in caps but I've just always just typed it in lower case and it worked. If you ignored the sensitivity in the past, that apparently may not work in the future

Story longer:

So over ther the last few days I've set up new payees and amended some standing orders.
Santander's new process has a few backward steps/niggles:

Firstly, where you were able to use an existing payee as the basis for a SO, now you can't; you have to set it up from scratch...even though the information is already in their system as a payee.

Now, those new payees and amended SOs needed OTPs. Nothing new there then?

But today I want to set up one off immediate payment to a payee already set up as a SO. Possible? No (but I think you never could.)

Frustrating but not the end of the world, you say?

So I set up a new payee taking the usual diligence, double checking sort code, account number, reference (necessary for BS account).
Hit go; get the Check details screen;
OK,
Receive OTP text. input as usual.
Failed. Contact us, it says.
:Sigh:

Ring them. Wait. Wait.
Eventually get through, pass security.

Tell the story.

CS: I'll check.
Wait.
CS:I know you know it, are you sure you put your full security number correctly?
ME: Yes
CS: I'll check.
Wait.
CS: Did you put the OTP in correctly?
Me: Yes I diligently checked it.
Wait
CS: You know it's case sensitive?

ME: Eh? What? That's not right, I used the process yesterday. Can you double check, please.
CS: I'll check
Wait. Wait.
CS:Yep 'for sure' they say, it's case sensitive.

Me: So Santander have changed an existing input criteria and not told customers?
No warning at the input screen?
No response on submission to say it needs to be case sensitive now?
No advise on the 'failed' screen?

CS: Correct. I know, I know it's frustrating.

Me: It hasn't retained the payee details either?

CS: No I believe it's all part of the same process; you'll have to input it again from scratch.

So, you go back to your online … and find it's timed you out... £$%^&*!

So a two minute task took 45 minutes.

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Appallingly bad!

I use monzo for most of my payments - so simple
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was under the impression it was always case sensitive so I've always put capitals in...
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    I was under the impression it was always case sensitive so I've always put capitals in...
    Always just typed it in, never bothered with upper case and it always uses upper case or have they changed that as well ?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I can't recall that it used to be case sensitive but I haven't used Santander online banking in ages now as I much prefer the app. The changes the OP describes sound really customer-friendly.....NOT.

If you are using the app, you can use existing payees (or add a new one) when setting up an SO. Also, entering the OTP is a breeze in the app as you can make the app use the OTP from the text you get. You don't have to type anything of the OTP at all - just a couple of touches and it's all done.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sounds like they fixed a bug rather than changed the design.
  • soulsaver
    molerat wrote: »
    Always just typed it in, never bothered with upper case and it always uses upper case or have they changed that as well ?

Yep it was caps (and numbers) but I've never followed the caps in the past and it always worked.

Thought I'd post to save others who do the same the frustration...
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    always good to recognise the importance of copying upper and lower case exactly, never good to assume as it will bite you like this example.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I set up a new payee yesterday. The OTP was all caps (as it always has been*). I typed it in lowercase, as always. It worked.

What had changed was the input screen. Different, large fonts; lots of white space; very amateur looking. I had to check that I was still on Santander's site. I was using Firefox on a Windows 10 PC.

*For accuracy, it's usually uppercase and numbers.
  • I found Santander`s old system for setting up new payments and standing orders quick and easy. New system not so quick and the inability to access an existing payee when setting up a standing order is a retrograde step, especially with commencing payments to regular savers. I have never had a problem with OTP - they have always been upper case and numbers. The new requirement of entering your secure pin as well as the OTP is a necessary security feature.
  • soulsaver
    mgdavid wrote: »
    always good to recognise the importance of copying upper and lower case exactly, never good to assume as it will bite you like this example.

It wasn't an assumption - it was history :)
    Vortigern wrote: »
    I set up a new payee yesterday. The OTP was all caps (as it always has been*). I typed it in lowercase, as always. It worked.
    If that's right they've changed something from yesterday.

Or I co*ked the input up.. twice, which would be unusual with OTPs as I take particular care with 'em.

And it wouldn't explain why the system doesn't ask you to request another OTP; Or try again. Or input incorrect.

It just defaulted again to 'contact us'... and talk to people who don't know what they're talking about?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure