Upstairs laundry - possible?

2»

Comments

• Not all houses have a solid (concrete?) ground floor, I have lived in 4 houses in my lifetime and all had wooden floors on wooden joists on both the ground and upper floors.

In our previous house we had the problem that the kitchen was too small to have enough space for both our dishwasher and our washing machine, while the bathroom upstairs was large and had plenty of unused space.

We had the WM in the bathroom, far enough away from any water source that you could not touch water and the WM at the same time. It was plugged in out on the landing. We had it like this for 6 years, until we extended to make a new kitchen and the old one became the utility room, and had no problems with excessive noise due to the floor being wooden.

My niece, who lives in Norway, made an upstairs utility room, with both washer and dryer and loves it. After all, most dirty washing is generated upstairs in the bedrooms and bathroom. Her whole house is built of wood.

Our present house has the utility room and all the bedrooms downstairs, living rooms and kitchen upstairs, I find it very convenient to have the WM on the same level as the bedrooms.

Regarding putting units in front of a low windowsill, my sister-in-law has an older house where all the windowsills are quite low and she has done this in her kitchen. The sill was cut back flush with the wall and a board was fixed to continue the wall line up and a few inches beyond the worktop, that way things do not get pushed off the back of the worktop.
  • pimento wrote: »
    We're buying a house that is much smaller than the one we currently have and although it's just about perfect, the kitchen is smaller and the washing machine is currently in the kitchen (integrated).

I would like to be able to move the washing machine to make another cupboard space available but the only place I can think of to move it to is upstairs.

Bedroom 2 will be my husband's office. It's a large room (13' x 11') and has an alcove (presumably for a wardrobe) that backs directly onto the bathroom.

Is it sensible/feasible to put the washer behind a sliding door in the bedroom/office? I assume there will be plumbing available due to the proximity of the bathroom.

Is there any reason why this isn't a good idea?

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

One other thought....

Could you incorporate that alcove in bedroom 2 into the bathroom and make a utility cupboard?

A friend who has a house on 3 levels, semi-basement, ground floor and rooms in the roof, again all wooden floors, has made a utility cupboard in the ground floor bathroom to "future proof" their home. (This level also has the living rooms, kitchen, and a bedroom)

In their case they removed the bath and used the space to make the utility cupboard and a large shower area. They have the Tumble dryer stacked on top of the washing machine.

Even if you cannot incorporate the space into the bathroom, the idea of a utility cupboard is a good one.
  • My wife lived in the States for a while and the house she rented had the machines upstairs in a cupboard, the washing machine on the floor with the tumble drier above it.

I think a lot of EU folk have their washing machines in the bathroom, it seems the UK is a bit odd in having the washing machine in the kitchen.

So long as their is plumbing and possible sound insulation I don't see too many restrictions on where you put it (other than washing machines are pretty heavy to shift around)
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Great stuff.

Yes, the new house is a town house with the kitchen and living room on the ground floor (and a WC - too small for the washer). The middle floor is two large bedrooms and a bathroom between them and the top floor is the main bedroom, ensuite and dressing room. It's a bit top heavy but suits us apart from the washing machine problem which, if I can re-configure the kitchen may not be such a big problem.

Layout is like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pq16jb7jn0e9rf9/layout.PNG?dl=0
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • naf123
    naf123 Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    We have it upstairs in the cupboard despite the risks of flooding.

Yes washing machine does shake the floor a bit (we have a very very heavy miele) when on spin - but we do not use it at night.

Dryer (above washing machine) does not shake the floor etc

However, we did tile the floor of the washing machine cupboard.

If I could afford to, I would have put a drain in the cupboard - in that way if the washing machine floods, it would drain off - you would need to find a shower tray of the appropriate size/material - or find a tiler to incorporate a drain......use your imagination!
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    My wife lived in the States for a while and the house she rented had the machines upstairs in a cupboard, the washing machine on the floor with the tumble drier above it.

I think a lot of EU folk have their washing machines in the bathroom, it seems the UK is a bit odd in having the washing machine in the kitchen.

This. We are in the minority having dirty clothes where we cook rather than dirty clothes exactly where we take our clothes off.

However lots of EU houses have concrete floors upstairs which makes it more stable/safe/quiet.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Then there are American houses timber framed with timber floors with laundry rooms upstairs very common.

Why do we have so many problems with building in the UK.

Things like basements and laundry upstairs should be a doddle.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Then there are American houses timber framed with timber floors with laundry rooms upstairs very common.

Why do we have so many problems with building in the UK.

Things like basements and laundry upstairs should be a doddle.

Probably because we're all crammed together in terraces/semis, unlike the US where so many more family homes are detached. It's a lot easier when you don't have to worry about disturbing your neighbours.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Probably because we're all crammed together in terraces/semis, unlike the US where so many more family homes are detached. It's a lot easier when you don't have to worry about disturbing your neighbours.

There are plenty of duplex double family homes, townhouse blocks and apartment blocks built timber frame in more built up areas.
  • Hi

In our previous house we had a large bathroom with a cupboard next to the hot water tank. So when we got a dishwasher we moved our washer / drier upstairs.

Your dirty washing is usually upstairs in your bedroom so actually worked really well

Cheers

Jen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family