Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping

Comments

• It's a lottery.
    Some day's there is loads, other days nothing.
    We once filled the freezer for under £30 with meat and were paid to take yoghurts away!
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    I had a great shop in Waitrose today as there were loads of half price meat reductions at the butchers counter, it is usually pretty good on a Monday.
    I god six Barnsley chops for £3.80, 1.5 kilo of minced lamb for £4.86 and 1.5 kilo of frying steak for £5.32. I will do a load of cooking this evening and fill up the freezer. Someone on here pointed out that if you do the 3 for £10.00 offers you still get the reduction even on the reduced items - thank-you for the tip this makes a good offer even better.
  • RustyBadge
    RustyBadge Posts: 117 Forumite
    I don't think I would come back with much at all
    Normally there is not much of interest to me in the reduced section.
    I see a lot of bread reduced but out of choice I prefer fresh bread.
    I never see any good meat reduced but then maybe I am just going in there at the wrong time!

Bargains aren't as good as they were a few months ago but if you happen to go in any of the stores when they are reducing stuff further, usually at the end of the day, (although it seems to be unpredictable at the moment), hang around and you may get lucky! My local co-op and Morries seem to reduce random things throughout the day and they don't always put them in the reduced section. ;)
  • frosty wrote: »
    I called in Tesco last night at 7.30,they close at 8pm,the reduced section was full of 10p items.I managed to buy a months worth of meat for my family for the grand total of £2.60 ( joints of meat,mince,chicken breasts,a large chicken)A pack of 12 sausage rolls for 10p,ready meals that were 4.99 were now 10p,too much to list.The store was really quiet,it's harder to find the bargains because a lot of people are hunting for them aswell.Alot of people must of been sat at home thinking its not worth going because all the bargains will be gone.There was heaps of the expensive bread for 10p.

I go to tesco on the way home from work @6 ish and the bargains just are not there any more igo for bread on a tue and used to get 50/50 hovis ect for under 50 i thought that was good lol. Well done and i am not jealous at all lol
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • Gaelen
    Gaelen Posts: 12 Forumite
    I often find it a hit and a miss. Usually I would go down after training so its about 7.30 but sometimes at a weekend they are there quite early in the morning too.

The one thing that annoys me is when there is a couple and both will stand there with the trolly completely blocking it for everyone, or the people who physically push you out the way.
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 March 2013 at 1:53PM
    It can be like scavengers around a kill on the Serengeti. 250,000 years is nothing in evolutionary terms.

Then again, shopping is still a bit of a "hunter gather thing". OK, you don't get sabre-toothed cats in supermarkets (with the possible exception of Waitrose, they do lots of things that the others don't), but those trolleys can hurt if they hit you in the back of the ankle.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • carrie2402
    carrie2402 Posts: 124 Forumite
    got a good deal in waitrose today, 4 x fresh deep pan pizza £4.00 each reduced to £1.99 each plus 2 for £5.00 discount so got 4 pizza for £1.96 :T
  • billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    carrie2402 wrote: »
    got a good deal in waitrose today, 4 x fresh deep pan pizza £4.00 each reduced to £1.99 each plus 2 for £5.00 discount so got 4 pizza for £1.96 :T
    Wow, that's really good. I got 2 x 4 blueberry muffins reduced to £1.05 a pack = £2.10, then £1 off as they were on two for £2, so eight for £1.10. The multibuys in Waitrose are always good, especially when you get paid for buying them ;)!
  • Amusville
    Amusville Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Today I got a few naan breads in A's for 2p each will do nicely in the freezer but my bargain was some thorntons chocolate lollies reduced to 10p but with no barcode on them so nice man at the till gave me them for free!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,682 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Quite a nice man in Morrisons today. I got there at 5 which is normally a bit early for the reductions and there were some good bits of meat I had my eye on. They'd been reduced once and he was doing the second price drop. He very obligingly repriced the meat I was looking at on request so I could decide whether to buy or not.
    Not one of my mega bargains, but I now have my easter lamb joint ready and waiting in the freezer.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback