Great 'Best Travelodge Holidays' Hunt: Which travelodge's offer the perfect get away?

Options

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I know this is best of Travelodge - but thought Id give my worst experience.

Bridgwater jct 23? M5. The Travelodge is built on top of the motorway services, so whether you have a front or back room, its awful. From the front rooms, your woke up by cars revving, lorries engines, and the bright lights of the service station car park. The rear rooms you get the noises from the air vents and general noise as well.

The Travelodge is scruffy, in desperate need of an upgrade, and as for the cleanliness of the rooms, they are poor. I have had cause to complain on more than 1 ocassion.

1st - pulled the sofa bed apart to get the sheet tucked in, to be greeted by a phone charger, a receipt, half eaten mars bar, and lumps of mould.

2nd ocassion - Oct last yr - the bedding, there was stains all over the quilt cover, dirty brown stains and blood, upon taking off the quilt cover the quilt was soaked in blood - it hadnt even dried in..........

The best bit...........toe nail clippings in the bed........... had we of not been that shattered we would of left, luckly as it was a family room, able to use teh spare quilt and shhet, but slept fully clothes......... I did look a right site in the morning dragging the quilt and cover up the corridoer to reception.

I DID GET A REFUND ON BOTH OCASSIONS - BUT THATS NOT THE POINT!
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • CrispyUK
    CrispyUK Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    RichyRich wrote: »
    Birmingham Central: convenient for Broad Street, Brindleyplace, Paradise Centre, and Ballet

Well located but really not a pleasant hotel, stopped there in December and wasn't impressed, had to get my room changed as it stunk of vomit, many communal areas/corridors shared the same smell and everything was well bashed/abused.

Travelodge weren't particularly sympathetic to our complaints/comments, their answer basically amounting to: "it's on Broad St, what do you expect?"

Bridgewater comments don't surprise me, it's a horrible services so would expect similar in the Travelodge!

Liverpool Central has always been quite decent for a city centre hotel, used that a few times.

London Covent Garden was great when we stopped there, it's split between two buildings and we went for the High Holborn building based on trip advisor comments, decent sized room and great views from the 8th floor :)

Used Cirencester as a stopover on a long N-S drive, very nice little place and a well-stocked BP next door for grabbing snacks the next morning - worth the slight detour and quiet being off an A road.

Generally find the smaller/out the way hotels are more pleasant than the city centre ones which I guess is down to guest volumes and the type of guest they're attracting - but obviously depends where you want to stay :)
  • suffolkb
    suffolkb Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to visit London, then the Covent Garden lodge - just off Oxford Street - is ideal. You can pop back to your room for a cuppa during the day. The Euston lodge is new and also recommended. Considering it`s location, it is very quiet. The 3 near Kings Cross are easy to get to, but only go there if the others have no cheap rooms. I will be trying the Marylebone one next month. They don`t appear to have any family rooms there, but it does seem to be well located.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    RichyRich wrote: »
    Edinburgh Central: hideous building but 2 minutes' walk off the Royal Mile (St Mary's Street)

I agree - this is right in the middle of tourist Edinburgh, just down the road from the Castle, a few steps away from hotels charging £200 a night.

Deffo the best value Travelodge we've seen.

Some Travelodges might be more aptly chavalodges :p but this Edinburgh one's great - quite rare to find a £9 room though.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • weeman5
    weeman5 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    T5 travel lodge. got a cheap deal (think it was £19 for a twin room). rooms good and clean as it's a fairly new building.perfect for getting early flights as the shuttle bus picks you up the front door. I had the bus to myself on early January morning - my own personal very large taxi to the airport! Perfect.
  • whatusername
    Options
    ailuro2 wrote: »
    I agree - this is right in the middle of tourist Edinburgh, just down the road from the Castle, a few steps away from hotels charging £200 a night.

Deffo the best value Travelodge we've seen.

Some Travelodges might be more aptly chavalodges :p but this Edinburgh one's great - quite rare to find a £9 room though.

I agree although the bar wasn't the greatest :rotfl:

Magic location for tourists and even locals looking for a night out in Edinburgh but are maybe a bit too far out for taxi journeys home.
  • SwitchyChick
    Options
    We stayed at Stratford Alcester Travelodge for the weekend last February half-term. It was a great base for getting into Stratford to visit Shakespeare's birthplace, Mary Arden's farm (recommended, esp. when they have activities for children) - DD was studying Tudors, William Shakespeare, etc. and it was ideal. We got it for £19.
    Mortgage #1 Oct 2008: £130,000
    Mortgage #2 Jun 2010: £60,000
    Both completely offset: 22/12/2011
  • opalfruits_2
    Options
    We've stayed in the Ely Travelodge before en route to Stansted for a flight and it was a lovely way to break up the journey from Newcastle - much ebtter than staying at the airport itself. It was a short walk into Ely and we had a great evening on an impromptu pub crawl.
  • Wendy_MIller
    Options
    HI

TRavelodge have increased their "PET" charges for dogs by 100% from February 2009.

It now costs £20 per stay per pet which can easily out shine their Sales Rooms at £9 for 3 adults!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Travelodge have also been charging some customers per pet per night so always carry their terms and conditions as its new extortionate rate is per pet per stay.
  • afinch
    afinch Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    i've stayed at plenty of travelodges, and the one at london bridge is outstanding, the worst i've stayed at in birmingham central, its a dump
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure