Leaving Virgin fibre broadband - do I need landline connecting?

Options
CUrrently with Virgin for phone and broadband but it is getting quite expensive. When I moved into this property 9 years I never had landline connected as I knew I was going with Virgin. The landline socket is still there but was obviously not allocated a number or switched on. Now anting to get a better-priced package I was wondering if I have to have the landline connected. I have asked BT broadband people who say they will fit new fibre connection but will this mean a trench has to be dug in garden (as it was when Virgin connected) or would it be easier to connect landline?
It is possibly a real rookie question but can't quite get my head round it and need to factor in cost/disruption when comparing deals. Can anyone help explain in simple terms please?

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 September 2019 at 4:45PM
    Options
    Having BT dig up the drive and install a fibre connection (FTTP)? will limit you to only about 3 providers and will be more expensive than virgin!

If you do have an existing BT cable or maybe grey box outside, at low level on your house you should be ok.

Some providers will charge a £60 install free, others it will be free, so look at deals carefully.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks AndyPK. I had "sort of" worked it out after reading about it but had it in my head that it would be like Virgin who have dedicated lines. I now understand that the fibre bit is to their "cabinet" and then it uses the ordinary line to the house (if that's right).

I think my next question then is when comparing deals do I ask for fibre or standard. It's just me here and I only really use the internet for general browsing, banking and e-mails. Although I have been looking to set up Netflix for the winter so does that make much difference?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All this change. Have you haggled with VM?
  • AndyPK
    Options
    The standard speed depends on how far you are from the exchange.

If you are more than 3 miles from the exchange then you probably want fibre.

When you go through the signup process they will give you a minimum guaranteed speed. If it’s less than 2 mbps go for fibre. 5 ore more is good

I would recommend NowTV.
  • AndyPK
    Options
    New houses have fibre to the property. Ie drive digging.

The monthly cost is high !
  • dreaming
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    All this change. Have you haggled with VM?

Yes, have spoken to them today but their lowest price was still not as low as many of the current deals around at the moment.

Fortunately I am now out of contract with Virgin and have this week set up a Gmail account. I am going to change all my banking etc. to the new e-mail address this weekend and let all my personal contacts know, then just have to decide whih deal to take up. To be honest I can't believe how long I have just stayed with Virgin and not switched as I could be saving a good amount each month and being on a limited income (company pension) anything extra is welcome. I regularly check all my other utilities (and banks) and haggle or switch but for some reason I have ignored this area. Possibly because it is "tech" and a bit fast-moving and scary. A bit of extra cash each month will soothe the fears I'm sure.
  • custardy
    Options
    dreaming wrote: »
    Yes, have spoken to them today but their lowest price was still not as low as many of the current deals around at the moment.

Fortunately I am now out of contract with Virgin and have this week set up a Gmail account. I am going to change all my banking etc. to the new e-mail address this weekend and let all my personal contacts know, then just have to decide whih deal to take up. To be honest I can't believe how long I have just stayed with Virgin and not switched as I could be saving a good amount each month and being on a limited income (company pension) anything extra is welcome. I regularly check all my other utilities (and banks) and haggle or switch but for some reason I have ignored this area. Possibly because it is "tech" and a bit fast-moving and scary. A bit of extra cash each month will soothe the fears I'm sure.

best deal as an existing customer or having given in you cancellation?
    I have been with VM for coming on 20 years. I haggle and get a good deal every time though it does sometimes require calling their bluff with a cancellation.
  • dreaming
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    best deal as an existing customer or having given in you cancellation?
    I have been with VM for coming on 20 years. I haggle and get a good deal every time though it does sometimes require calling their bluff with a cancellation.

I told them I was looking to cancel so once I have given my new e-mail to everyone I want, and decided on a new provider I will cancel Virgin. They may then come down even more from what I was quoted today. I have actually haggled them down in past years but they couldn't come close to the deals around at the moment. I am aware that most of those deals are reliant on me being a new customer and I might have to do the same thing next year but as I said, I do it each year for everything else so why not this. I actually think it was the line business I didn't fully understand as I knew my current set up only works for Virgin. I think I thought it would be quite costly to get the landline set up but I can actually recoup that cost in just a couple of months (and some have said it will be free). So for the "cost" of a bit of time and effort onb my behalf I will not only be able to save cash monthly nowbut be in a better position to compare and switch next year instead of being "tied" to Virgin as I thought I was.
  • dreaming
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    The standard speed depends on how far you are from the exchange.

If you are more than 3 miles from the exchange then you probably want fibre.

When you go through the signup process they will give you a minimum guaranteed speed. If it’s less than 2 mbps go for fibre. 5 ore more is good

I would recommend NowTV.

Are NowTV really any good? They do seem remarkably cheap, and no set up costs (big tick). Is there anything difficult about getting it set up, and what is their support service like? I don't want to save the cash just to end up with a rubbish service.

I wish it was easier to do the comparisons as I am not always sure what I am comparing. Probably another reason I have put off moving providers for so long.

Thanks for your replies.
  • custardy
    edited 13 September 2019 at 6:17PM
    Options
    dreaming wrote: »
    I told them I was looking to cancel so once I have given my new e-mail to everyone I want, and decided on a new provider I will cancel Virgin. They may then come down even more from what I was quoted today. I have actually haggled them down in past years but they couldn't come close to the deals around at the moment. I am aware that most of those deals are reliant on me being a new customer and I might have to do the same thing next year but as I said, I do it each year for everything else so why not this. I actually think it was the line business I didn't fully understand as I knew my current set up only works for Virgin. I think I thought it would be quite costly to get the landline set up but I can actually recoup that cost in just a couple of months (and some have said it will be free). So for the "cost" of a bit of time and effort onb my behalf I will not only be able to save cash monthly nowbut be in a better position to compare and switch next year instead of being "tied" to Virgin as I thought I was.

They will come down.
    Call centre staff have limits in place on the deals they offier.
    Unfortunately you need to push through the levels with a cancellation. Its not just VM either.
    I'm up on my deal in November so I'll be playing the game soon myself

Edit: no idea what you have pay but I'm £33/month for 200meg BB,weekend calls and 'player TV' with a V6 box
    TBH I dont care about calls or TV but got a deal with the TV 'free'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport