Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier

Comments

• t33
    t33 Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just a quick update. I posted on this thread in August when I was thinking about switching to Bulb as there wasn't much to go on as far as performance reviews etc.
    Just to say I took the plunge and have found it very straightforward to do the switch (so much easier then previous big 6 horrors I had with nPower and Eon) and the DD and meter readings etc seems very easy.
    Bulb came up as top two cheapest when I did a comparison, but as I moved house I cannot compare with my previous DD amount or usage costs.
    All in all happy so far.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was considering switching to bulb today.
    Entered meter reading etc -cost approx 12 per month less than sp
    Though I stopped as 1st bulb bill would have been 16th Dec
    That means I would be paying sp 75 next week
    And bulb are using an upfront debit -which means 62/50 approx 16/12
    I’m not sure this is the right time to switch.
    Also as Bulb are notifying sp once the switch is complete-what final bill could I expect from sp 27/1 -as mentioned via bulb site.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bump,..................
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Dandytf wrote: »
    I was considering switching to bulb today.
    Entered meter reading etc -cost approx 12 per month less than sp
    Though I stopped as 1st bulb bill would have been 16th Dec
    That means I would be paying sp 75 next week
    And bulb are using an upfront debit -which means 62/50 approx 16/12
    I’m not sure this is the right time to switch.
    Also as Bulb are notifying sp once the switch is complete-what final bill could I expect from sp 27/1 -as mentioned via bulb site.

As far as SP is concerned, you will only pay for the energy that you have used at the contracted tariff rate. DD payments are only payments made on account. As a transfer of supply can take up to 5 weeks from the day that you apply to switch, it is not usual to pay two suppliers for at least one month. You will not pay for the same energy twice. The gaining and losing suppliers have to use the same meter reading/s.

Why do suppliers now ask you to start paying for energy in advance of supply? Two reasons: one, Ofgem has told suppliers not to allow consumers to build up debt and, two, energy suppliers pay for the energy that they supply to us in advance of supply. A payment up front helps their cash flow by reducing borrowing, the cost of which is passed on in the form of higher bills.

I know people get worked up about this but I pay for my TV Licence; broadband, insurance, mobile phone in advance so it isn’t a big deal.

Is the Bulb deal worth it? Only you can calculate that by doing a full market comparison based on projected usage in kWhs/year along with your postcode.
  • Dandytf
    Thanks Hengus

I’ve never had any prob with paying other services upfront.
    To simplify my sp did is 75 Per /month 28th each month.
    If I transfered to bulb then a bulb payment is 16th Jan.
    When do I cancel sp dd -or do i run the risk of sp dd’s 28/11 28/12 and initial bulbs dd 16/1
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • I switched to Bulb from EDF via the MSE Cheaper Energy Club 3 days ago. After buying my first home this April and it having pre-payment meters I have had an absolute nightmare up until now sorting it all out and am hoping that Bulb will finally be the ones to get things right.

Scottish Power were the original suppliers. I switched to EDF as I had heard they were the most lenient in terms of getting meters changed to credit meters. Cue a 3 month saga sorting that out as there was an issue with the meters and the national database or some other ridiculousness. Scottish Power (who I left in May) must have sent me 6 final statements ranging from me owing them £200 to them owing me £8. Twice they had said they'd send a cheque out for what they owed (once for 9p). Zero cheques have arrived. Easily the most pathetic company I've ever dealt with by a considerable distance.

EDF, whilst slow, at least have sorted themselves out and have changed my meters. I was eligible for a change in June and finally got them changed in October. I am praying that they do not insist that I owe them hundreds of pounds when I get my final bill. I organised to set up a DD with them in June when the meter change was supposed to take place and now that it has I have been put on standard tariffs and quarterly billing. Brilliant. I am hoping to just pay what I owe them from October until now and leave them.

The day after I switched to Bulb I got an email from a chap in their customer service department who told me there was a problem and that it was that I was down as having pre-payment meters! Cue another live chat with EDF to get them to update the national database (whatever that is) with the new information that they should have given them on the day of the meter change. In fairness, the next day I received an email from the customer service rep at EDF saying she'd sorted it. I passed this information on to Bulb who told me everything was sorted.

I am now just waiting for the switch to take place. One thing I am not keen on which most suppliers seem to do is ask you a few questions about your energy usage and then set you up on a DD that is far too expensive. EDF wanted £104 a month when even on pre-payment meters I was only using £50 a month combined for gas+electric (summer did make it cheaper). Hopefully Bulb will not do the same.

Needless to say, if this goes without a hitch then Bulb will certainly get a recommendation from me. My switch is due to go through on the 14th December.
  • System
    Dandytf wrote: »
    Thanks Hengus

I’ve never had any prob with paying other services upfront.
    To simplify my sp did is 75 Per /month 28th each month.
    If I transfered to bulb then a bulb payment is 16th Jan.
    When do I cancel sp dd -or do i run the risk of sp dd’s 28/11 28/12 and initial bulbs dd 16/1

You should wait until a Final Bill is raised. If you have built up a large credit balance then call SP and agree with them a DD mandate cancellation. There is no risk. All overpayments will be repaid to you. If not, then you still have the right to invoke the DD Guarantee via your Bank.

All that said, I appreciate that paying out two DDs in the same month may be difficult for some people.
  • Dandytf
    Exactly Hengus

My concern is an additional Bulb DD 16th Jan.
    As I’m since using eco7 storage heaters over winter-I don’t think this is the best time to switch.
    Think I’ll re vist 2018.
    I have warm home discount application in progress with sp -bulb aren’t yet offering that.
    Though I appreciate sp aren’t the only electric provider and maybe I’ll re consider early 2018.

Thanks!
  • Hmm, yesterday I applied via MSE to change my provider to BULB as MSE estimated a saving of £304 which is wow and so I received a monthly quote today from BULB, and its a saving of £36 for the year. So in a quandary? Anybody please out there got some advice. Jeez may as well stayed with my original providers.
  • System
    Hmm, yesterday I applied via MSE to change my provider to BULB as MSE estimated a saving of £304 which is wow and so I received a monthly quote today from BULB, and its a saving of £36 for the year. So in a quandary? Anybody please out there got some advice. Jeez may as well stayed with my original providers.

Hi - welcome to the forum. I assume that you are close to the end of a fixed term tariff? Under Ofgem cost calculations you can end up in a situation where a saving can cost you more. Why - because of a rolling 12 month cost projection based on x months on present tariff plus 12- x months on SVT = £LOTS. 12 months on new tariff = £LESS. £LOTS - £LESS = a saving but LESS costs more than your present tariff.

Use the annual cost comparison on MSE CEC to determine your cheapest deal. It will though cost you more than your present tariff.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback