Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier

Comments

• question wrote: »
    Just a quick update. Matt at Bulb got back to me, said it wasn’t their fault and suggested I use alternative comparison websites to MSE Energy Club “such as U Switch and Compare the market”....

I've had same problem with last two switches & MSE club not registering switches complete, had to email both times but they soon sorted out & all ok. 1st switch Brit gas to Eon, then Eon to Bulb, about yearly switch.
    Have been happy with Bulb & like their website but will be checking if a better rate is out there with the rise in Nov in mind.
  • We recently switched to Bulb and so far have been very happy. We were with GnERGY before that and had been happy with them too but they aren't part of the Warm Home Discount Scheme and Bulb are. We got our £50 into our account as soon as the account opened and I've referred 2 other people and got another 2 lots of £50 for that, so more than happy :o
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 4 October 2018 at 9:47AM
    Re the Bulb price rise announced for November, I'm currently doing price comparisons and have to make the decision soon as my current deal is coming to an end. Does anyone know whether the figures/quote coming up now on the Bulb website reflect the price increase - or can I expect a sudden increase just after signing up?

Edit - just got a reply from the bulb site that the price being quoted now is the new one.
  • beardiedog
    beardiedog Posts: 658
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    pineapple wrote: »
    Re the Bulb price rise announced for November, I'm currently doing price comparisons and have to make the decision soon as my current deal is coming to an end. Does anyone know whether the figures/quote coming up now on the Bulb website reflect the price increase - or can I expect a sudden increase just after signing up?

It includes the increase for new customers.

The November date is for those already with or just switching to Bulb i.e. 60 days notice.
  • HUMBUG
    HUMBUG Posts: 339
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm switching my parents dual energy from Bulb to People's Energy because the moneysavingexpert Cheaper Energy comparison site shows that they can save over £350 . Gas kw usage 46508, Elect kw usage 3698.

Obviously , it all depends on the timing of these variable tariffs by these various companies. Its becoming a bit of nonsense because one can claim to save over the other by a few months , then the picture may switch around again after another month . A 'musical chairs' of variable rate tariff changes to tempt you to go to and fro. About time the energy industry was nationalised.

The only good thing about People's Energy is that the profits get ploughed back into the company rather than to shareholders , so I'm expecting any tariff increase to be less than some other variable price type companies.

Finding this whole switching business very tiresome indeed but having to do it because of the impact it will have on my elderly parents ability to make ends meet every month.
  • HUMBUG wrote: »
    I'm switching my parents dual energy from Bulb to People's Energy because the moneysavingexpert Cheaper Energy comparison site shows that they can save over £350 . Gas kw usage 46508, Elect kw usage 3698.

That is a huge figure for gas consumption. Unless they live in Buckingham Palace or they keep the heating on all day with all the windows and doors open, you might want to investigate if the meter is faulty.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    That is a huge figure for gas consumption. Unless they live in Buckingham Palace or they keep the heating on all day with all the windows and doors open, you might want to investigate if the meter is faulty.
    Maybe they are like my elderly neighbours. Their house is like an oven all day long and irrespective of the weather.
  • HUMBUG
    HUMBUG Posts: 339
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

Yes , its a huge figure and I think its because they don't have a room thermostat . The boiler just keeps on heating until its own internal thermostat cuts off . I am going to ask a local plumber whether its worth installing one (or maybe thermostatic valves on the radiators) . I also think they've got the hot water temperature far too high so maybe that needs adjusting down too.

Being in their late 80's they feel the cold more than most but maybe it is a good idea to check if the meter is faulty (not sure who does this and whether its a free service).

This is what Bulb sent as an annual summary of gas usage but I worked it out using real readings not estimates (so I arrived at 46208).

The graph readings are below (approx)

Sept-Dec : 12,500 kwh
    Dec-Mar : 20,000 kwh
    Mar-Jun : 8000 kwh
    Jun-Sept : 2,500 kwh

Your gas usage summary
    Over the last 12 months you used 43,234kWh (based on
    available readings and estimates) at a cost of £1,262

Your personal gas projection for the next 12 months is £1,682.
    This is an estimate based on your expected annual energy
    usage, and your current tariff rates, charges and discounts
  • nubian
    nubian Posts: 18
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I switched from British Gas about 6 months ago to Bulb, since then there have been two price increases from Bulb and now MSE says we should be switching to British Gas!!

Maybe instead of encouraging everyone to get on the switching merry go round of ever diminishing returns for the ever increasing hassle and effort. MSE should be pioneering an end to the cartel like operation of energy firms and giving the regulator a new brief of properly monitoring the wholesale market and allowing price movements only when they are independently verified as genuinely reflective of what really is going on and are fair in both directions up and down.

It just like the rigged petrol/diesel market where we are at record high pump prices when oil is nowhere near the record high barrel prices of a few years ago. I am fed up of being fleeced by all the energy companies both for motoring and domestic home use.

I want to see MSE challenging these inequities rather than encouraging into this ever spiralling switching culture.
  • @nubian
    MSE get money from getting people to switch which pays their bills so I wouldn't expect to see them campaign against the energy switching market anytime soon
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback