Suspended – what to do?

Comments

• Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Elinore wrote: »
    Hi Les,

The role is part of a bigger contract agreement. They can manage me out, but they would still need to have someone do the job as the support role is a requirement of the supplier and its a string attached to a huge lucrative contract.

basically the role is a bitter pill for one area of the business only swallowed because it hugely benefits another area of the business and keeps the supplier sweet.

Ok, well, could the employer maybe re-negotiate the contract with the supplier and gain their support over you that way?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker

basically the role is a bitter pill for one area of the business only swallowed because it hugely benefits another area of the business and keeps the supplier sweet.

Why can't you be managed (and have your salary paid from their budget) by someone in the part of the business that does benefit rather than one that doesn't?
  • I think what has happened is in fact that the ignorant new manager has had an immature temper tantrum.

What I would do is to write a memo to this manager saying that you are very upset by the meetings you have had with him for the following reasons - and then explain things to him as clearly as you have to us. Say that you are considering raising a grievance, and are in the process of taking union advice, but you would like a further opportunity to discuss things before invoking a formal procedure, especially as he is new and you understand that this is an unusual and complex situation which may have come as a surprise to him (face saving phrases for him, even though he is being a twit.)

Then sleep on this, before you send it. In the mean time, with any luck HIS manager will have sat on him and he'll be back to you with an apology. If he isn't, send it and continue with the union/grievance approach.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Why can't you be managed (and have your salary paid from their budget) by someone in the part of the business that does benefit rather than one that doesn't?

This would make more sense - but the role is support and the unit i work in is all support staff. The lucrative contract its tied to is sales and that is in a different office miles away.

So i kind of see why they have me here, its on the 'employers' site but im close enough to regularly visit and go for meetings at 'supplier' site.

I just think the manager wasn't briefed, or if he was he didnt understand - and thought he was getting new headcount that would assist in the units overall workload. Evidenced by the fact he moved me over to the units work pattern and assigned me a full workload of admin tasks. when this did not work i think he thought he would shoot for the middle ground of having the tasks spread amongst the unit and me pick up some of theirs - to be denied again.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    This would make more sense - but the role is support and the unit i work in is all support staff. The lucrative contract its tied to is sales and that is in a different office miles away.

But that's no reason why you can't be managed from the sales office and be paid out of their budget. The more we hear about this the more I can see why your new manager is very unhappy about it, he has to waste his time managing someone who make no contribution to his real team, and his budget takes a hit for the privilege of doing so. I think you should be trying to work with him to get you transferred in all but physical location to the sales team.
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    But that's no reason why you can't be managed from the sales office and be paid out of their budget. The more we hear about this the more I can see why your new manager is very unhappy about it, he has to waste his time managing someone who make no contribution to his real team, and his budget takes a hit for the privilege of doing so. I think you should be trying to work with him to get you transferred in all but physical location to the sales team.

But surely in that case the manager should take up the issue higher up the with his managers not the OP?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    agrinnall wrote: »

A valid question but one which needs to be asked by the manager involved, not handled by suspending a member of staff in a fit of pique because they didn't get their own way.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Sounds like he's rather foolishly trying to demonstrate his authority over his team.
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    I really would rather they didn't move the role to the sales site - I would have to leave the job as its several counties over. :D

Also it would cause issues as the reason the job was kept on employers main site is the easy access to the supplier's site and ability to attend meetings and events.

My last manager just felt that it was part of his role to manage his people, even if they was just at the behest of the wider work need. He just let me get on with it.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Do not share your login/access to the Supplier system with this manager or members of this manager's wider team - insist that the manager contact the Supplier directly to arrange said access.

Other than that, exactly as jobbingmusician advised above.

BTW I would have an extremely dim view of any colleague or manager who told me not to go to HR over a matter. HR is there for everybody in the company to contact.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport