IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Link Parking County Court

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    She'll be hired via Elms Legal as a "solicitor's agent".

Ask the judge why the Claimant is not there and why you are not given the opportunity to ask questions of the claimant directly. Hints at the Claimant not wanting to be too closely questioned.
  • WIN!!! Judge said that when cross examined I stood my ground and was clearly honest. My lovely partner was repping me and did a great job to
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    WIN!!! Judge said that when cross examined I stood my ground and was clearly honest. My lovely partner was repping me and did a great job to

Great :T

Can you give us a full report and what happened to the vanishing
    solicitor.

Yet another incompetent case for Gladstones and their
    little buddies
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    WIN!!! Judge said that when cross examined I stood my ground and was clearly honest. My lovely partner was repping me and did a great job to

Great news. :T

When you're home, could you provide us with a bit more detail on how it all went, how the Judge reacted to your case and the one put forward by the barrister for the PPC?

Name of court? Name of Judge? Any costs awarded to you?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Will write up all the juicy deets when home. Sooooo haaaaappy!
  • Details:

Own (rented property) residential space in private gated compound. Permit was on passenger seat rather than the windscreen permit holder.

Court report:

Hearing was scheduled at 12:00 at the Gloucester County & Family court so arrived early (11:30), went through security and spoke to the usher. The waiting room was empty for around 10 more minutes or so when a lady swanned in, and introduced herself as Ms Lewis and that she has been appointed by Gladstones to be their barrister.

When asked, she got a bit evasive as to whether she was an employee of Gladstones and only said that she was a 'barrister at Bristol Chambers'. She then proceeded to disappear until 5 minutes before we were called in (which was 12:00 on the dot).

In the office, we introduced ourselves (my partner was being my rep as I have a stutter and it would have taken an age to say anything) and the DJ was very friendly and thorough in explaining the procedures and what happens next i.e I will be asked questions, then everyone will have a turn to say their piece.

Ms Lewis then proceeded to be quite aggressive with her questions to me, and made a lot of 'suggestions to the court' that I was lying and that the permit wasn't in the car at all. Her main points were that there were several pictures of the car with no permit, and that the contract between our landlord and Link Parking say that we should have a valid permit on display in the window. She also said that an upstanding member of a parking company would have had enough sense and integrity to not issue a ticket if there was a permit anywhere on display. (hahahaha)

My partner countered with the pictures of signs and our own contract that only say that a valid permit should be on display. A point was also made about how awful the glare was in the pictures they took, and all you can see is that there wasn't a permit in the holder on the windscreen.

It seems the judge must have heard enough after this, as she stopped us and summed up the case. The summing up felt like it lasted a lifetime as it does when you have no idea if you have won or not, but the DJ was very kind and said that I had stood my ground when cross examined- that I had looked her in the eyes when saying the permit was in the car and that she definitely believed me. She dismissed the case saying that Link Parking were unjustified in giving out a ticket. I then proceeded to give her my costs sheet (time off work, mileage, parking) and all was fine.

All in all the process took around 45 minutes and was completely worth the look on Ms Lewis' face as she held the door open for me.

I'm not sure which DJ I had, as my letter said DJ Ellery but the daily court list thing had a different name on..

MSE has been so useful, especially the sticky and the people that have answered my nooby questions. Thanks!
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thank you for your report, very interesting and once more, well done.
    She also said that an upstanding member of a parking company would have had enough sense and integrity to not issue a ticket if there was a permit anywhere on display.

I've just wiped my spat out coffee from my iPad after reading that! Oh my! Those words should never be used in any sentence describing a parking gimp!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Was it this one?

https://invictuschambers.org/barristers/martha-lewis
    She also said that an upstanding member of a parking company would have had enough sense and integrity to not issue a ticket if there was a permit anywhere on display.

As mentioned before, and always useful to raise ....
    Ask the judge why the Claimant is not there and why you are not given the opportunity to ask questions of the claimant directly. Hints at the Claimant not wanting to be too closely questioned.
  • Had a nosey, it was this one..
    http://queensquarechambers.co.uk/mediation-view/joanna-lewis-clinical-negligence/
    Umkomaas wrote: »

I've just wiped my spat out coffee from my iPad after reading that! Oh my! Those words should never be used in any sentence describing a parking gimp!

I thought I saw the DJ bite back a smirk too.
  • Blimey. A 2004 call. That's quite senior for a minor parking issue.

It's either been a very expensive day for the PPC (not least because they lost too) or Ms Lewis is very light for work...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure