PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

British Home Sellers

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    daz_79 wrote: »
    Cheers :beer:

Good number of pics. Not too many. Will go through pics one by one:

1. Good.
    2. Good.
    3. Great (although would swap 2 and 3)
    4. Size looks good. Kitchen a bit bland/dated (the ceiling and grey walls make it look a bit like a garage conversion - I love grey but wouldn't use it here), but well presented, albeit a tad dark in the pic.
    5. Really looks like that bed should be on a different wall, but the radiator is badly placed. The lack of dressing tables make it really unappealing. Is that the biggest bedroom? Doesn't look like a master bedroom!
    6. Fine (although may look better with 2 singles).
    7. Terrible shot - the bath looks tiny. Very strange angle. Dated, but not much you can do.
    8. Doesn't really show anything. If anything I think there's nowhere in that porch to put a cupboard/storage.
    9. Again, a pic for the sake of a pic. I'd lose no 8 and just keep this if you want. Just spotted the blinds as thought there were bars on the windows. Don't like blinds like that as it looks like a doctor's surgery but appreciate others don't mind them so I suppose they have to stay put. Actually, the first pic makes it look nicer so I'd prob lose this altogether.
    10. Lovely.
    11. Fine. Although makes me wonder what's to the right with it being taken at that angle so if you're hiding something like a tower block/industrial unit/garage block to the right, delete this as it draws attention!

The one thing that would stick out for me is no table and nowhere really to put one.

Good luck!

Jx
    PS just looked at streetview and see why they took pic 11 at that angle lol. The development (presuming that's what it is/will be) would also put me off. It's bang opposite.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,217
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    TomPucci85 wrote: »
    Which agents did you sell with for £1,000? Were they one of these online agents like Purplebricks?

On checking I've realised I was wrong about the cheaper property; I'd forgotten it was an hour's drive each way from my home so I agreed a higher fee for them to deal with everything, I never met the buyers.

However, yes, the £400k property was sold via House Network and cost me just £1000, a no-brainer for me.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • daz_79
    daz_79 Posts: 55 Forumite
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Cheers :beer:

Good number of pics. Not too many. Will go through pics one by one:

1. Good.
    2. Good.
    3. Great (although would swap 2 and 3)
    4. Size looks good. Kitchen a bit bland/dated (the ceiling and grey walls make it look a bit like a garage conversion - I love grey but wouldn't use it here), but well presented, albeit a tad dark in the pic.
    5. Really looks like that bed should be on a different wall, but the radiator is badly placed. The lack of dressing tables make it really unappealing. Is that the biggest bedroom? Doesn't look like a master bedroom!
    6. Fine (although may look better with 2 singles).
    7. Terrible shot - the bath looks tiny. Very strange angle. Dated, but not much you can do.
    8. Doesn't really show anything. If anything I think there's nowhere in that porch to put a cupboard/storage.
    9. Again, a pic for the sake of a pic. I'd lose no 8 and just keep this if you want. Just spotted the blinds as thought there were bars on the windows. Don't like blinds like that as it looks like a doctor's surgery but appreciate others don't mind them so I suppose they have to stay put. Actually, the first pic makes it look nicer so I'd prob lose this altogether.
    10. Lovely.
    11. Fine. Although makes me wonder what's to the right with it being taken at that angle so if you're hiding something like a tower block/industrial unit/garage block to the right, delete this as it draws attention!

The one thing that would stick out for me is no table and nowhere really to put one.

Good luck!

Jx
    PS just looked at streetview and see why they took pic 11 at that angle lol. The development (presuming that's what it is/will be) would also put me off. It's bang opposite.

Thanks, some constructive points there that I have taken on board. Some of the pics make the rooms look smaller than they actually are, for example the main bedroom has space not shown on the photo from the bottom of the bed and the bathroom, albeit would be bigger if the corner bath was replaced with a standard bath. The kitchen does have a table with 4 chairs that’s fits ok but for the purpose of photos and viewings we turn it round and move it further into the corner where the photo doesn’t show another 3-4 foot of kitchen. The development opposite is 8 500k exec Homes being built but being built into the hillside out of sight of my property but the entrance to the site is opposite my house but most heavy traffic is now over. The other side of my house is just the continuation of houses like mine so nothing untoward to hide but the EA said the houses over the road would be best to have in photos to show neighbouring properties. We have one more viewing tomorrow but are also in the process of valuations for part exchange purposes so may not have to sell the conventional way hopefully. Thanks again.
    Darren :beer:
  • daz_79
    daz_79 Posts: 55 Forumite
    So does the contract guarantee you an immediate sale at 85% of your home's independently valued figure?

If so are you happy with this?

If so why not just advertise on Rightmove at 90% of the market value for a week or so and see what happens?

That fee sounds very expensive to me. I've sold two houses in the last few years (£200k+ and £400k+) and both times the EA fees were around £1000.

Their home buying service is a guaranteed purchase by the company for a quick sale but well below MV. Their home selling service states that for 95-97% MV they aim to sell within 8 weeks. Sellers can accept or refuse any offers and are not obliged to proceed (from what they told me) and you can exit the contract with 30 days notice with no fees to pay if property hasn’t sold.
    Darren :beer:
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Their home selling service states that for 95-97% MV they aim to sell within 8 weeks. Sellers can accept or refuse any offers and are not obliged to proceed (from what they told me) and you can exit the contract with 30 days notice with no fees to pay if property hasn’t sold.

Like a conventional estate agent then, except they have little or no knowledge of the local market, probably no on the ground agents etc etc
    My guess is they market the property poorly for you get you no acceptable offers, then 8 weeks down the line throw out the hook whereby they will buy your house for 70% of MV.
    If you are considering their selling option, why not put it on with a local agent first, I would even go so far as to say even an online agent, someone who has no vested interest in your property, not selling.

As previously said contract, contract, contract before you commit to anything with these guys.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If it has only been on the market since september why are you in such a hurry to sell?

Seems like a short time to me.
  • Hi there, interested to know if you used the company and how your experience was :D
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Gwendo40 I don’t appreciate your implying that I am greedy. My property was valued by 3 Estate Agents at the same price and I ultimately used one of the said Estate Agents to sell my property. After 3 viewings an agreed offer (below advertised value) the buyers then withdrew after we refused to reduce the price further. Due to the time this took and our desire to sell we reduced the advertised asking price. I am not greedy and unrealistic, I took the advice of property professionals in the first instance but am also not going to ‘give’ my property away.

How much do you think a property should "earn" you a year? (or how much did you think before it became apparent that you had to approach a quick sale company to get a sale?) Sorry if the question seems rude, but genuinely interested. My take is that property (outwith a loose credit system designed to get people in debt and keep them there) should be losing value each year, because the structure is deteriorating etc.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    WARNING: OLD THREAD.

Whatever happened to PMs?
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,109
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    How much do you think a property should "earn" you a year?

My take is that property should be losing value each year, because the structure is deteriorating etc.

You couldn't make it up :o
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family