Dating profile reviews - is there such a thing?

I've decided to try again with finding someone... I've re-activated my dating profile on OKCupid but it seems to have changed quite a bit and I'm not sure I like it there any more.

I've been contacted by three women already but none of them really match who I'm looking for. I don't think I'm looking for unusual things - I really want to meet someone who is looking for a serious long term relationship, wants to settle down, get married, have children... pretty standard stuff (I think!) for someone in their late 30s but I'd like to meet someone who also shares at least one interest. Past relationships have been with women who don't really share anything like that and they tend to end up with me doing everything on my own... pretty much the same as when I'm single! I'm not expecting a female clone of me (that would be weird) but it would be nice to meet someone who is passionate about something they do and would be nice to have at least one thing in common we could do together.

I've asked friends to look at my dating profile but I think they're being nice and just saying that it's a great profile, I'm great, etc. Very nice but not very helpful!

I'm just wondering if there's anything or anyone that can review someone's profile and give honest feedback. Is there such a thing as that? I think it would be useful to get an idea of what women think when they read what I've written. I don't want to put things on there that aren't true just to get messages - it's important to me that everything on my profile is 100% true (which it is!) as I want to meet people that are honest, as that's very important to me (so it wouldn't be a good start if I wasn't!).

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    I don't think theres a 'service' like that but I would happily take a look and try give you constructive feedback on it? I found my partner on oKCupid but that was 2 years ago so not sure how things have changed since then...

PM me if you want me to take a gander.
  • Blondetotty
    Blondetotty Posts: 269
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can you post your profile text here? Although be prepared for some snarky comments no doubt! (not me)

Tbh I know dating sites are popular, I'm not a fan. When I used them years ago (late 30's, early 40's) I never met anyone that I clicked with. Either I was too fussy discounting photos and yes I put a lot emphasis on how they looked or we just didn't gel. I ended up meeting my partner through a friend of a friend at an event that we both had a shared interest in. He's absolutely perfect for me but I can say without hesitation that had I read his profile before meeting him he wouldn't have made the cut.

Have you thought about joining social groups. clubs or events that appeal to you and that you might meet people at? Don't discount meeting men as well because often it's links through other people that match you. It was a woman that I met who was a friend of my ex who introduced me to my current partner. At that time I had given up dating, I was just having fun meeting people in general and then boom, enter stage right, the love of my life ;-)
  • KnightRider
    KnightRider Posts: 63 Forumite
    I don't think theres a 'service' like that but I would happily take a look and try give you constructive feedback on it? I found my partner on oKCupid but that was 2 years ago so not sure how things have changed since then...

PM me if you want me to take a gander.

Thankyou - I'll PM you later! :-)
    Can you post your profile text here? Although be prepared for some snarky comments no doubt! (not me)

Tbh I know dating sites are popular, I'm not a fan. When I used them years ago (late 30's, early 40's) I never met anyone that I clicked with. Either I was too fussy discounting photos and yes I put a lot emphasis on how they looked or we just didn't gel. I ended up meeting my partner through a friend of a friend at an event that we both had a shared interest in. He's absolutely perfect for me but I can say without hesitation that had I read his profile before meeting him he wouldn't have made the cut.

Have you thought about joining social groups. clubs or events that appeal to you and that you might meet people at? Don't discount meeting men as well because often it's links through other people that match you. It was a woman that I met who was a friend of my ex who introduced me to my current partner. At that time I had given up dating, I was just having fun meeting people in general and then boom, enter stage right, the love of my life ;-)

I'll post the text from my profile here in a bit, thanks. :-)

I've been looking at Meetup groups and a couple look reasonably local and interesting. I want to make some new friends and expand my social circle a bit anyway so I think it'll be good for me, whether it leads to anything more than just friends or not. Work has taken up a lot of my time in the last couple of years and I've lost touch with some friends. I'm also trying to keep an open mind. I've never bumped into someone and had it lead to anything but am keeping my mind open to the possibility!
  • I've been joking with colleagues about setting up an online dating coaching service.
    As a guy who has been fairly successful with online dating, I'd be happy to offer an impartial view...I promise I wont take the mick.
    Come on sucker lick my battery
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Its been a few years for me, but PoF had a forum where people comment on your profile. Often brutally!
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I met my husband on a dating site! I didn't really pay much attention to the profile details because to me people tend to right what they think people want to hear. Bit like a cv. Lots of people say the same old stuff and you don't really know till you meet them if you will actually click.
    If you have a particular interest then state you are looking for someone
    with whom you can enjoy war reenactment / sci to / golf / fishing or whatever it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure