20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Comments

• JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Nice, positive post from you today DIA :)

Glad you're being productive with your added WFH time - this lunchtime i did a 30 minute exercise class, washed dishes and put the bin out, as well as put a washing in the machine. I can't manage to be that productive every day but it feels good to know other things are being done. Less to worry about later!

Have a great day :)
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,719 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    A very busy day. I have been on the go since 6.30am and after 2 jobs I am home. Things were tight with no downtime. So, although I was upset I wasn't surprised that I lost my travel pass. So £30 worth of travel gone and I will need to spend another £16 to get where I need to go and there is the cost of the photo. That mishap cost me £56 and all because I was doing too much. :mad::(

I am upset but I can't help thinking it could have been worse....my keys, my purse?

Starved all day and then a bag of tortilla chips purchased at the station. A big bag! :eek:

The squirrels are back nesting in the attic!!! :eek:

Tomorrow I have 2 quotes booked, one at 10am and another at 3pm. (One to eradicate squirrels the other is a windows quote.) Too tired to cancel them. Hopefully after a good night's sleep I will handle them fine.

The squirrels are an additional cost but I now know how they are getting in so once they are gone the access points can be sealed.

A crazy day. I need tomorrow to be less crazy.

I hope your day has been a good one and your tomorrow is even better :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,126 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    What a long day.
    Hope that the quotes go well :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • doingitanyway
    After the turbo charged day I had yesterday I woke up feeling much brighter.:)

Losing my travel pass is upsetting but when I was in debt and this happened I had to take time off work until pay day as I could not afford to get to work. So, it could all be worse.

The squirrel man has just left. He was the most expensive quote but I got a good vibe and strangely, he cares about the animals and wants them not to suffer. He knows what he is doing so I am going with him.

The squirrel man found they have chewed through my cables which is why my lights were flickering upstairs! This is very dangerous! He recommended an electrician (I need one for other things too) I called and he has given me Check-AT to see reviews of his work. He appears impressive. He will be coming to quote for work next week. Let’s hope he does not overcharge.

The window quote is late this afternoon.

Weather nice so I have washed blankets to get put away until winter.

I am much less anxious than last week prior to tradespeople.

I hope your day is going well :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It's good to hear you are feeling brighter today.

I'm also needing new Windows in the near future. It's a quote I fear.:eek::rotfl:

I hope it all goes well.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,126 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    You are doing really well.
    Hope window quote goes well.
    Happy Friday :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • doingitanyway
    It's good to hear you are feeling brighter today.
    I'm also needing new Windows in the near future. It's a quote I fear.:eek::rotfl:
    I hope it all goes well.
    You were right. The windows quote was mad :eek: I need to get another quote to compare but :eek:
    beanielou wrote: »
    You are doing really well.
    Hope window quote goes well.
    Happy Friday :)
    Thanks beanielou. I am doing well but I still had an upset tummy and fast heart rate due to nerves. I wish that didn't happen :o

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,112 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Three quotes remember. And talk to them about what the options are. Opening casements are more expensive that non-openers for example. More glazing bars cost more. Different locking systems and handles can cost more. And even types of glazing. So ask them what options they have and get them to quote for a couple of different things.

I ended up going for the cheapest quote in order to be able to afford the windows - if there hadn't been so much to do I'd have spent a bit more, but they're OK and should last another 20 years or so.
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Windows and doors are expensive to replace, but I agree with not only getting a few companies to quote, but get them to quote for a few different options too. For all you know, their 'standard' price might be their gold plated price in the hope that folk think that's the norm.

Worth exploring anyway and as i said, i'll be watching and learning from you!

If only we were closer, i'd send my husband round to sort your electrics. I know he's a trustworthy tradesperson and I'd come with him to indulge in some coffee from your soon to be new coffee pot while he was working! How far is too far to travel for a small job? haha
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • doingitanyway
    Thanks Greenbee and JoJo. Just to reassure you I will be getting at least 3 quotes and asking for different options. I had windows down eight years ago so know the difference variations in the product can make. The quoted for window company only do one type of option but I doubt I will be going with them anyway. My current windows (the ones that were fitted 8 years ago were good so if they are competitive I will probably go with them again. I'm also realising cost and value for money are too different things. Of course I want it to be minimal cost but more importantly I want the job to be done properly for the price it is worth.

I'm starting to realise good tradesmen WANT to do a good job. They get satisfaction from it and want to please the customer. This was the case with my roofer. When they are good they are actually nice to work with :)

I also wish you were nearer JoJo! Coffee, whilst your husband did the electrics would be such a treat. :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills