20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Beautiful 1950s coffee pot dropped and smashed. More upsetting than I thought it would be really :(

But it gave you joy while you used it.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the coffee pot :( Sad times.

However, you're right. You should 'invest' in a new one because:

1. You are debt-free so you CAN
    2. A coffee pot brings you joy so is worth the investment
    3. Coffee is life.

Happy Tuesday to you.
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are debt and mortgage free so why not treat yourself. Enjoy the new coffee pot.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How lovely to find your new diary DIA and read about your fabulous progress.

I look forward to hearing about your new adventures.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    JoJoC wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the coffee pot :( Sad times.
    However, you're right. You should 'invest' in a new one because:
    1. You are debt-free so you CAN
    2. A coffee pot brings you joy so is worth the investment
    3. Coffee is life.
    Happy Tuesday to you.
    Thanks JoJo I will be buying a new coffee pot. And you are right, coffee is life :)
    You are debt and mortgage free so why not treat yourself. Enjoy the new coffee pot.
    Thanks parsniphead
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    How lovely to find your new diary DIA and read about your fabulous progress.
    I look forward to hearing about your new adventures.
    Fortune x
    Thanks for dropping in Fortune. I am progressing towards a dog and a new home and you have inspired me to do both. :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    A WFH day

Made buckwheat wraps
    (Didn’t think they would work without eggs but they do and taste just as good :))

Made hummus
    (Added a sweet red pepper and it tastes yum)

I have a salesman coming to quote for the windows on Friday. :T I will start searching for another two companies so I can compare the quotes.

Checked all accounts. Considering I did the roof and porch, bought a cordless vacuum and paid for my ticket to Cornwall for next month I don’t think I did badly at all. I have the winter bills for electricity and gas to pay for too so now my accounts are cleared out but that is okay.

I have not addressed an emergency fund yet. This should have been a priority. I will check my CU account as this could be used for that purpose

I have been trying to eat vegan but also being gluten free and needing to eat low carb for another health issue is complicated. Today’s breakfast did not work for me. Too high carb so hunger was unleashed :( Back to the drawing board.

Sunshine is so life enhancing isn’t it?

Wishing you all lots of vitamin D :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I like roasted veg for breakfast - I usually have it with egg or bacon (or both if I'm feeling greedy!), but for a vegan version how about scrambled tofu for added protein? My other options tend to be overnight oats (well, oats, oatbran, ground linseed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds) with dried or fresh fruit and a spoonful of nut butter. I tend to make these with yogurt to eat cold and rice milk to turn into porridge. If you're making porridge you can also add a bit of coconut oil.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    I like roasted veg for breakfast - I usually have it with egg or bacon (or both if I'm feeling greedy!), but for a vegan version how about scrambled tofu for added protein? My other options tend to be overnight oats (well, oats, oatbran, ground linseed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds) with dried or fresh fruit and a spoonful of nut butter. I tend to make these with yogurt to eat cold and rice milk to turn into porridge. If you're making porridge you can also add a bit of coconut oil.
    I'm quite knowledgeable about food and nutrition, so I am aware of the options, I just need to work on choosing a breakfast that suits me, but thank you Greenbee. Your roasted veg for breakfast sounds nice :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    The good thing about not drinking alcohol is I can see the effect eating wrongly has on me. Today I woke up with what I would have assumed is a hangover if I had been drinking.

I can see veganism is not going to work for me but I am pleased I tried.

Now I am WFH I am trying to use the time after work (when I would have been commuting) more constructively.

Yesterday evening I did an hour of gardening. I also walked for 30 minutes.

This evening after work I will be going to buy and post a friend’s present and later I will wash a window.

I checked my CU account. There is not much in it. I am going to use my teaching income to top this up. By the end of May I will have £500 put away :T

I am WFH so washing has been done and is now outside drying :)

I’ve been remembering the stove top coffee pot I used to have and how nice the smell of percolating coffee was. They are made of stainless steel and even I cannot break that! They have fancy shmanzy ones in TKM so I will be picking one up after work today :D

It is funny how one change alters everything else. If I have a car I could begin to look for local jobs that require a car for visiting clients. It isn’t urgent and my job has many pluses but it is good that another option has opened up

Have a sunny, positive day everyone :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills