IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA appeal review please

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe a bit more of a nudge to POPLA here:
    What happened to #10? Surely a landowner contract should not have an entire point omitted, which suggests ECP have redacted #10 - which could state details or definitions that ruin their POPLA case (e.g. enforcement only on weekdays between x hours and x hours, or even ''the landowner retains the right to sue drivers, and ECP are act in an agency/putting up signs/admin capacity only''. POPLA and the appellant can't be expected to guess a missing term).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • notparked
    Options
    thanks Coupon-Mad
    I have incorporated that now and will be submitting the rebuttal to POPLA on Monday.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You only get six days and then the Portal closes.

Have you checked you only have 2000 characters (it's a tiny allowance)?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • notparked
    Options
    thanks Coupon-mad.
    Had 3 characters to spare :-)
  • notparked
    Options
    received decision today :)

Decision Successful
    Assessor Name Carly Law

[just posting the important bit]

I must consider whether the signage at this site is sufficient.

When doing so, I must first consider the minimum standards set out in Section 18 of the BPA Code of Practice. Within Section 18.1 of the BPA Code of Practice, it states as follows: “You must use signs to make it easy for them to find out what your terms and conditions are.”
    Furthermore, Section 18.3 of the BPA Code of Practice states: “You must place signs containing the specific parking terms throughout the site, so that drivers are given the chance to read them at the time of parking or leaving their vehicle.

Keep a record of where all the signs are. Signs must be conspicuous and legible, and written in intelligible language, so that they are easy to see, read and understand.”

As stated, these are the minimum standards that a parking operator must meet when informing motorists of the terms and conditions at a particular site
    In addition to this, I note that within the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 it discusses the clarity that needs to be provided to make a motorist aware of the parking charge.

Specifically, it requires that the driver is given “adequate notice” of the charge.

The Act then moved on to define “adequate notice” as follows: (3) For the purposes of sub-paragraph (2) “adequate notice” means notice given by: (a) the display of one or more notices in accordance with any applicable requirements prescribed in regulations under paragraph 12 for, or for purposes including, the purposes of sub-paragraph (2); or (b) where no such requirements apply, the display of one or more notices which: (i) specify the sum as the charge for unauthorised parking; and (ii) are adequate to bring the charge to the notice of drivers who park vehicles on the relevant land.

Even in circumstances where PoFA 2012 does not apply, I believe this to be a reasonable standard to use when making my own independent assessment of the signage in place at the location.
    The operator has provided images of the signage at the site.

The charge amount is not prominent on the signage, due to the size and colour of the font. There is other information on the signage in a bold font and I would expect the charge amount to also be prominent.

Having considered the signage in place at this particular site against the requirements of Section 18 of the BPA Code of Practice and PoFA 2012, I am of the view that the signage at the site is not sufficient to bring the parking charge to the attention of the motorist. As such, I can only conclude that the PCN has been issued incorrectly. As I am allowing the appeal on this basis, I do not need to consider any other grounds of appeal raised by the appellant.
    [END]

I have seen ECP appeals lose although I think they use the same signage as at this site.
    I must have had better assessor in the lucky dip of appeals

Or maybe it was my photos showing no visible signage at a specific parking area at this retail park.

thanks for he help on this forum.
    Hope Coupon-Mad is back soon:eek:

:j
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yay!

Now, complaint to the BPA that an operator is issuing tickets at a site with inaderuqate signage, as confirmed by POPLA. You want to know what steps willb in place to improve the signage, how the operator will ensure compliance, and that ALL tickets issued at least since YOUR ticket was issued are refunded if paid, cancelled if not, because it is clear the operator has failed in their obligatons.
  • notparked
    Options
    nosferatu1001
    would this be an email to Steve Clarke himself or info @britishparking.co.uk
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    notparked wrote: »
    nosferatu1001
    would this be an email to Steve Clarke himself or info @britishparking.co.uk

Direct to Steve Clark >>>> steve.c@britishparking.co.uk
  • notparked
    Options
    email sent to Steve.c
    :p
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    notparked wrote: »
    email sent to Steve.c
    :p

Keep us updated please.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport