Christian name error in booking AA flight . How to change?

OH is going on trip to US with male friend next year. Friend just booked flights but using OHs nickname as first name, not his full name which is on his passport. Unfortunately nickname while used widespread for full name, is not similar to it. How does he get it changed? Flight is with American Airlines.

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They'll have to contact whomever the tickets are booked from (hopefully AA). It may not be straightforward to change.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    As jpsartre said you need to contact who you used to book the tickets but name changes can be a pain
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Does your OH really want to go on a holiday with somebody who is so dumb that they can't understand what "name must be the same as on passport" means?
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Love to now know the traveller's nick name. Hopefully not booked as something embarrassing like Mr. "FluffyBunny" Littlerock.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Actually it is very simple - it is very similar to a case where everyone calls him Sandy but his real name is Alexander.

I looked up possible issues and it seems it is more straightforward to change a Christian name in the US if it is just your christian name and nothing else. There are lots of people called Buddy and things over there as nicknames.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    littlerock wrote: »
    Actually it is very simple - it is very similar to a case where everyone calls him Sandy but his real name is Alexander.

I looked up possible issues and it seems it is more straightforward to change a Christian name in the US if it is just your christian name and nothing else. There are lots of people called Buddy and things over there as nicknames.

He will have to contact whoever sold him the tickets. They may well charge a change fee comparable to the ticket price.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    agree do not mention 'name change' this is a "name correction" that (hopefully) falls under their 'legal name' change
    https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/documents/archives/agencyref/name_correction_restrictions.pdf
    this is unlikely going to be free to fix...but it will need fixed
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 20 December 2018 at 4:40PM
    OK. OH requested name correction to change his first name from "Teddie" to "Edward" on his ticket. He has spoken to the airline direct who confirmed a simple name change (with all other details unchanged) can be made over the phone if flight booked direct with the airline but they said if booked via a travel agency, he had to contact the agency.

He did this, as soon as he received the e-ticket (same day) and they asked for a copy of his entry page on his passport to verify he was same person. He supplied this.

A week later the agency have responded that their "ticketing staff" say a change to his christian name to reflect his full name, in place of his nickname, cannot be made as it constitutes " a complete different name". It is only his christian name everything else is identical.

Is this the ticketing agency pulling a fast one? He let the agency know as soon as he got his ticket (within an hour) that name needed correcting.

I have looked up the airline and in theory he could have got a full refund if cancelled within 24 hours. However it has taken a week for the agency to get back to him to say it cannot be done so chance of refund and rebook has gone. It is ABTA listed so presumably he could make a complaint to them.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Unfortunately I think you will find the selling agent can apply their terms & conditions and charge a fee for the “service” of taking care of the administrative task of completing the name change.
  • Agency are a bit slow arent they.

This is what they should be doing its simple but they want to make it complicated.

https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/documents/archives/agencyref/name_correction_restrictions.pdf

They can of course charge for their time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure