OR call.

Options
Hi people,
So next week I have the call from OR booked.
I've filled out the questionare they sent and I've spoken to him on the phone a couple of times and he seems ok.
My question is, how deep do they dig.
I have had a gambling problem in the past and I put down a conservative figure for that, and also do they check emails.

Thanks,
Mushio.

Comments

• Flyright
    Flyright Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They dig as deeply as they need to. They can access all your bank statements and creditor information so if they find out you have materially understated your gambling that may cause the OR to consider a BRO.

Your earlier posts suggest you were made bankrupt by HMRC. This can also be cause for the OR to seek a BRO.
  • mushio
    mushio Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    I did explain to OR that he can access my bank statements and I also gave him accountants details.
    Gambling was all cash so not sure what happens there. Kept it from the other half until I finally had to come clean.
    Just not sure how intrusive they can be.
    Yes it was HMRC that sought bankruptcy.
    Been on going for some time now. The stress finally took it's toll with me having a stroke and subsequent seizures. Now not working at all and looking to claim benefits until I can so how will that affect a bro.
  • Flyright
    Flyright Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A BRO relates to misconduct on the part of the bankrupt so being on benefits has no bearing on whether an OR seeks a BRO.
  • ToxtethO'Grady
    ToxtethO'Grady Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 December 2018 at 7:54PM
    Options
    A Bankruptcy Restriction Order (BRO) is when the OR has taken someone to court to apply the restriction.

Bankruptcy Restrictions Orders are introduced for those bankrupts whose conduct has been irresponsible, reckless or otherwise culpable.

If you agree to the restriction it's a Bankruptcy Restriction Undertaking (BRU) -

Bankruptcy Restrictions Undertakings are introduced to enable a bankrupt to agree in writing to restrictions to be imposed upon him or her. It will have the same legal effect as a BRO made by the court and will provide early protection for business and the public. The often considerable time and cost, for all parties, of court proceedings, will be eliminated.

So if you hold your hand up to the gambling it will be a BRU between 2-15 years - your debts are still written off after the year but you're classed as a bankrupt for the time of the restriction
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure