IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Highview PCN

2»

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 December 2018 at 3:50PM
    You might just get away with not having identified the driver in that appeal, and especially as HV are not litigious. Only a Judge can instruct you to pay, so you just don't pay a random private company firing a speculative invoice at you.

So for now, unless you get any type of Letter Before Claim or legal papers from a Scottish court (unlikely, virtually to the point of putting it out of your mind), ignore anything else you get.

Come back if you receive either of the above.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    So basically I've got no come back on them? Strictly speaking I didn't actually say I was driving.

To claim you weren't the driver would be pushing it on reading that appeal IMHO.

You now have two choices pay up or ignore them. There are very few court cases in Scotland so experience is limited on all sides. The likely outcome is that you will get bombarded with debt collectors letters and little else.

In saying that there is an outside chance they will try court.

Personally I would tough it out and see what happens but ultimately it's your call.
  • Thanks for the advice folks, I'll post any updates as and when.
  • *Update* - Received what looks like a fairly letter from Debt Recovery Plus at the weekend chasing the parking charge now and its now £149.99 they are looking for.

Any advice? Is this another one just to ignore?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Standard threatogram. Ignore it.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    have you complained to the retail park owners?
    If not then why not?
    BEFORE you send anything off, post it here first
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    post #4 of the NEWBIES thread tells you about IGNORING debt collector letters

and a landowner complaint is ALWAYS the ebst option for seeing these things off, so should have been done much , much sooner (but never too late to do so)
  • Thanks folks, any suggestions on how to word the letter of complaint to the retail park/landowner?

I'm guessing something along the lines about being hounded for an excessive parking charge?
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Try

"Dear Sirs,

I have been charged for parking in your car park by the parking company that you hired, set the free parking time and gave a relatively free had to commit Highway robbery. Their charges are ludicrously expensive.

Can you ask them to let me off please?
    "

I am sure they will be delighted to help.

Or you could take some photos, home in on the inadequacy of the signs and they just might be more co-operative if your claims are genuine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure