We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Leaf blower and vacuum

Comments

• tired_dad
    tired_dad Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I’ve been through all options. Including a massive billy goat which costs circa >1.2k.

I now use a plastic leaf rake. Cost about £5 each from either Lidl or Aldi. They are way quicker. As above, let the wind do the job. Most of the leaves will congregate in a few areas. Rake up. Job done
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've just used a broom similar to this on Saturday and filled up two large bags with leaves and small twigs no problem

https://www.qvcuk.com/The-Original-Garden-Broom.product.516579.html

Got one in a hardware store for under a tenner

Once you've got the technique right they are very effective over shale and pebbles and can deal with wet leaves as well.

I have a Worx Blower but not used it yet TBH
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    While I tend to use a grass rake for getting the leaves and pine needles off the lawn, the blower/vacuum is great for 101 other uses once you get used to it! It is good for loosening and cleaning the gravel driveway, it works wonders for blowing the bon-fire back into life when it starts to be a bit too smokey, great piece of kit for blow-drying anything you’ve washed or got wet, blows snow off the car (if it’s the right type of snow), blowing all the dust out of the workshop or car...I could go on! :)
  • Well I ended up with a Bosch one from B&Q. A bit fiddly to assemble but once I got it going, it sucked up all the leaves off the driveway as quickly as anything. I had to keep the nozzle close to the ground for wet leaves but it managed them too. It was so easy that I ended up sucking up all the leaves on the pavement and road outside the driveway as well so they weren't swept on to the driveway by the wind.
  • dharm999
    dharm999 Posts: 559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We have a Tarmac drive, so I just run the lawnmower over it, on a high setting, works a treat, and the leaves get mulched up nicely as well. This wouldn't work on gravel, of course!
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Your neighbours must love you. :D

Fairly rural location! ;)
  • I posted this yesterday https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5926913 in the grabbit while you can - load of video reviews too https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWeRAQdLKf47jbK6fmffFVQ
    Seems to be a solution to the fake reviews and hopefully he'll be adding more products soon (to review and then for us money savers to buy ;) )
  • Justagardener
    Justagardener Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 December 2018 at 9:49PM
    I wouldnt buy a corded machine myself, all that cable to wind up and trip over. Cordless leaf blowers are powerful now. . Go for the highest voltage machine you can afford. There is some info here about how to buy one https://theperfectgarden.co.uk/which-leaf-blower-should-i-buy-for-my-garden-this-autumn/
  • snilloct1957
    snilloct1957 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Lidl have a leaf blower/vacuum on offer at £20! 3000w motor, 10m cable, 3 year guarantee, what's not to like?
  • Diana2014
    Diana2014 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't bother with these power toys. They're hellishly noisy, hence environmentally unfriendly, and also much less efficient than a rake (on open ground) and yard broom (on hard surfaces).
    You'll get a much better, if brief, physical workout using the power-free options, so what's the point of the expensive toy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure