PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Work Lunch?

Comments

• BlueJ94
    BlueJ94 Posts: 2,551 Ambassador
    First Anniversary I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post Name Dropper
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    It always dumbfounds me when people ask others what they should eat! What would you normally eat if you were at home for lunch?

I'm asking as I'm currently taking the same things to work. Just looking for new ideas, plus I have a cooker at home but don't in work :)
     I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe boards and spending & discounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Debt owed;
  • Salad.
    Start with a base grain, cous cous, quinoa, bulghar wheat.
    Add veg, I like it chopped small, grate a carrot , cold roast sweet potato or butternut squash is nice, or roast pepper, courgette, aubergine, whatever looks nice/ needs using.
    Stir well. Add some protein, a little bit of
    Smoked salmon, leftover roast meat, a couple of falafel.
    I like a spoon of toasted seeds on mine as well.

Yum. Always ends up being slightly different.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    DH takes lunch into work every day. He often takes salads or leftovers. Tonight we are having pasta with tomato and aubergine sauce so I will cook four portions-two for dinner, one for tomorrow and one to freeze.I do the same whenever we have chilli or soup..

I usually batch cook tomato sauce for the freezer so freeze some in individual portions. If I'm making pastry I freeze a couple of rounds rolled out flat. That way I can make a pasty or tart with oddments if the oven is on. Yesterday we had bread and goats cheese for lunch. DH took sourdough bread (already cut up and in the freezer), goats cheese and a tomato for lunch today. There was still some goats cheese left so while the oven was on last night I made a cheese, thyme and tomato tart which has now been frozen.

We usually have a couple of rounds of ham or beef sandwiches in the freezer for days when I'm short of time.
  • Willow92
    Willow92 Posts: 2,186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I often batch cook something like chili or a pasta bake then freeze a few portions ready for work over the next few days.

You could also make your own soup with whatever veg you've got lurking in the cupboards/fridge.
    Savings £8,865.22 £/15,000 Aiming to save enough for a house deposit.
  • Poppy1984 wrote: »
    I take lunch every day and get bored easily. For me anything goes!
    Leftovers from the day befores evening meal heating in the microwave,
    Sandwich's,
    Ryvitas with soft cheese spread dipped in cuppa soups,
    Crackers & cheese,
    Jacket potatoes, I batch cook 6 at a time in the oven wrap in tinfoil and freeze. Take out of freezer night before, unwrap from tinfoil once defrosted, microwave for 2 1/2 mins, fillings are beans, tuna, cheese, coleslaw, leftovers,
    Hope that helps a little

same here!
    when we had a microwave at work I would take whatever we had for tea the night before - id do a bit extra - and warm that up at lunchtime. since our microwave has conked out (I work for the nhs, we aren't allowed one now!) its salads, sandwiches, anything cold really .. cant begin to think about affording buying lunch at work so I have to make do.
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I don!!!8217;t eat bread in the week very often, but take lunch to work every day. In the winter I take hm soup or stews, pasta, rice with curry or a risotto. In the summer more salads, couscous is my favourite as it!!!8217;s quick to make and then I add what ever is handy, left over meat, tuna, boiled eggs, salad, tin sweet corn. I also take salad with lentils, or chick peas, or tinned beans added to bulk it out. I second jacket potatoes, I also bulk bake and freeze.
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Another vote for leftovers. I normally make 3-4 portions of dinner so I have some for dinner and lunch then whatever is left is for my husband. He can sometimes eat double portions if he!!!8217;s hungry.

My favourites-

Lasagne
    Jacket potatoes (which I!!!8217;ve got for lunch tomorrow)
    Mini roast. I take a small tub with gravy granules in and make fresh gravy at work
    Pasta bake, or any pasta dishes
    Frittata
    Chicken drumsticks with Mediterranean vegetables
    Cottage pie

I actually very rarely have sandwiches for lunch. I like variety so leftovers are my preference
    :money::rotfl::T
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As above: leftovers, cheese, hard boiled eggs & crackers.
  • cat4772
    cat4772 Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    It always dumbfounds me when people ask others what they should eat! What would you normally eat if you were at home for lunch?

I thought OP asked what they could eat not what they should. With over 700 views, it's highly likely that many of these have had a quick look for inspiration.

I've recently moved my daughter from school meals to packed lunch and I know that it's so easy to get stuck in a habitual rut. sometimes inspiration comes in new ideas, sometimes it's an old or former favourite that hasn't been tried in a while.

I know that I'm often busy in a morning, particularly April & May so packed lunches have to easy to prepare. I have made my daughter several sandwiches (ham, cheese, ham & Cheese, tuna) wrapped individually in cling film and frozen. In a morning, I'll lift one out and in it goes in her lunch bag.

I've also prepared some carrot sticks, yellow pepper stick, cucumber sticks and can lift these out in a morning, fill a 1oz pot with tomato ketchup for her to dip and she has a vegetable stick snack. Another pot will contain fruit: kiwi, strawberry raspberry, grapes, blueberries.

together with either a yoghurt or cheese stick, a carton of juice and she's set to go.

In the future, I might do pasta with chicken or tuna (do a couple of days worth in advance so I'm not rushing in a morning.

other things she's asked for are chicken nuggets and wedges, or gnocchi and sauce, pasta and sauce, tortellini or ravioli and sauce, risotto etc (we have a food flask which keeps food warm), so I'm probably sorted for autumnal ideas. But by then, I might have forgotten and a thread like this asking for inspiration might just re-open a world of culinary choices for me and my daughter :j

cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    :onever attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    :othe thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
  • Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    JennyP wrote: »
    If you cook jacket potatoes in the oven and freeze them, then microwave them, are the skins nice and crispy as they are when they come out of the oven?

I love jacket potatoes!!!

No they aren't sadly but they are still very tasty
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business