Lifetime ISAs guide

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Plus wrote: »
    Do we know the dates for bonus payments? For example, someone who paid in on 6th April 2017 and 6th April 2018. I think the date for the 2017/18 bonus is 'early May', so does that mean 6 April money has its bonus paid in 'early June'?
    The short answer to your question is 'yes'.

From this tax year, bonuses are earned in monthly periods running from 6th of one month to 5th of the next month, and the ISA manager claims from the government within 14 days of the end of each such period, with another 14 days anticipated for the claim to be met. So, paying in on 6 April is actually no better than doing so on 5 May (from a bonus perspective, a tiny additional amount of interest will accrue) and the expectation will then be that the funds will arrive by early June.
    I believe they had to submit requests for the bonus before 19th April (according to an email I got from HMRC). What I don’t know if this was with balances on account at close of play 5 April or a later date and therefore include any early payments paid in for 18/19.
    Just to be clear, the bonus payment due in early May will indeed be based on the 5 April balance, not anything paid in since then.
  • pink_pirlie
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Just to be clear, the bonus payment due in early May will indeed be based on the 5 April balance, not anything paid in since then.

Thanks for the clarification :beer:
  • Plus
    Plus Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are withdrawing just our deposits for the purchase and will have to take a 25% hit on the bonus as we couldn’t delay completion for another two weeks until it is paid.

So are you paying a penalty, or just the non-bonus figure? In other words, if you deposited £4000 are you getting £4000 (with no bonus), £3000 (original deposit minus 25%) or £3750 (standard post-bonus penalty: 4000*1.25*0.75)?
  • pink_pirlie
    Options
    Plus wrote: »
    So are you paying a penalty, or just the non-bonus figure? In other words, if you deposited £4000 are you getting £4000 (with no bonus), £3000 (original deposit minus 25%) or £3750 (standard post-bonus penalty: 4000*1.25*0.75)?

We aren’t paying a penalty on the £8000 of our money in the account as we are using that towards a qualifying house purchase.
    So we asked to withdraw £7950 - you have to leave £50 in the account in order to keep it open for the bonus to be recived.

As the bonus has not been paid yet if we take this out we will have to pay a penalty when this is withdrawn or leave it in the account until we are 60.
    We haven’t requested this as it has not been paid into the account yet. We do not need this for our deposit.
  • Battersea174
    Options
    I haven!!!8217;t seen it covered on this thread before so I thought I would mention that Skipton told me today via web chat that conveyancers could send then the declaration forms 30 days before your withdrawal date to allow sufficient notice
  • pink_pirlie
    Options
    I haven!!!8217;t seen it covered on this thread before so I thought I would mention that Skipton told me today via web chat that conveyancers could send then the declaration forms 30 days before your withdrawal date to allow sufficient notice

Thanks & HL are the same.
  • Plus
    Plus Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We aren’t paying a penalty on the £8000 of our money in the account as we are using that towards a qualifying house purchase.
    So we asked to withdraw £7950 - you have to leave £50 in the account in order to keep it open for the bonus to be recived.

As the bonus has not been paid yet if we take this out we will have to pay a penalty when this is withdrawn or leave it in the account until we are 60.
    We haven’t requested this as it has not been paid into the account yet. We do not need this for our deposit.

I see... so you would expect £2000 in bonus to arrive later. You can't use it for the house because of the timelines, but you can keep it until you're 60. If you withdraw it after your purchase you lose 25% but only of the withdrawal amount, ie if you wanted to empty the account you would forfeit £500 and withdraw £1500?
  • pink_pirlie
    Options
    That’s correct.
    HMRC confirmed that even if you withdraw money before the bonus is paid, it is still paid.
    You are penalised 25% on withdrawals not for a qualifying house purchase or after 60 so if we withdraw it now there will be a 25% penalty.
    We weren’t expecting to get anything as we were due to complete in February so even 75% of the bonus is a bonus!

Just to note-
    Our solicitor successfully received the money from our LISA on Friday, on its 1 year anniversary and 7 days after posting the form to HL.
  • Simon81
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I've opened two LISA's last year (one one my name, the other on my spouse's name who doesn't have a regular income) with the intention of saving up for a deposit for our first home in the near future.
    As my spouse doesn't have a regular income however, it is very likely that I will have to put the property deed and mortgage in my name only (my understanding, please advise if there is another way around this) and I am not sure that with this, we can even put my spouse's LISA towards the purchase of the house. Does anyone have encountered a similar situation or might know anymore about this? Many thanks in advance.
    BR

Simon
  • awhite6889
    Options
    Last tax year I maxed out the LISA allowance of 4000 with Skipton. This year I opened a Stocks and Shares LISA with Money box. I know you are only allowed to pay into one LISA per tax year. Will I have problems when buying a first house if I need to get the money from two different LISA's?

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure