NPower Economy 7

emma6195
emma6195 Posts: 6 Forumite
Hi,

No-one seems to know about this but I'm with NPower and live in a house with a storage heater and a water boiler, both use electricity to heat up over night.

This is cheap as NPower offer 'Economy 7' which I believe is cheaper to use electricity over night.
I think they are the only company that do this as I have tried other companies that don't have his 'economy 7' and the heater didn't work without it.
NPower are now hiking up the prices and I physically cannot switch!
Can anyone shed light on this? Any companies I can switch too?

Thanks,
Emma

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    put your details e.g post code into this.

I'm sure they aren't the only company to do economy 7

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    emma6195 wrote: »
    This is cheap as NPower offer 'Economy 7' which I believe is cheaper to use electricity over night.
    I think they are the only company that do this as I have tried other companies that don't have his 'economy 7' and the heater didn't work without it.
    Are you sure you have Economy7 and not Economy10?

Economy7 is common and you ought to find a wide range of suppliers. Economy10 is rarer - if you do have that rather than Economy7 then the range of suppliers is more limited and although you can switch you need to do so very carefully - preferably by speaking to the suppliers on the phone rather than switching using a comparison website which can result in all kinds of headaches.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Ah great, thanks I will have a look!
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2018 at 12:09PM
    emma6195 wrote: »
    Hi,

No-one seems to know about this but I'm with NPower and live in a house with a storage heater and a water boiler, both use electricity to heat up over night.

NPower are now hiking up the prices and I physically cannot switch!
    Can anyone shed light on this? Any companies I can switch too?

Thanks,
    Emma

I don't think any of your post is correct, sorry.

As others have indicated, most suppliers support E7 as an electricity tariff - they may have several E7 tariffs.

In fact, Ebico offer such a tariff (from their range), where the 7 hours electricity is not just cheaper, but but actually FREE :money:
    (terms apply, so check them carefullly)
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2017/11/free-electricity-at-night-for-economy-7-with-ebico---but-is-it-cheap

You say you have tried other companies, but not on their E7 tariff.
    I don't know why/how - as you generally have to specifically request that from the supplier if you have an E7 meter (and only a handful of suppliers do offer that possibility).
    Whatever the reasons, a change of tariff should not affect the functionality of any of your appliances, only the cost you pay.

Unless you had the meter changed to a single rate meter (in which case you will have to get it changed again to obtain E7) ... and then the heater should continue to work, but possibly 24/7 unless you manually turn it off.
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Are you sure you have Economy7 and not Economy10?

Economy7 is common and you ought to find a wide range of suppliers. Economy10 is rarer - if you do have that rather than Economy7 then the range of suppliers is more limited and although you can switch you need to do so very carefully - preferably by speaking to the suppliers on the phone rather than switching using a comparison website which can result in all kinds of headaches.

If the OP were to use this site

https://www.energylinx.co.uk/energy/cashback/

rather than the the CEC, it will also (usually) restrict input/output to compatible tariffs consistent with the metering at that address.

So if it's not E7 (or single rate) meter, the OP shouldn't get past the input page.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure