Silly question time: one investment to buy NOW

Options
You have to buy one investment using 50% of your investment wealth to hold for ten years. You have to buy it in the next ten minutes which rules out OEICs but allows shares, ETFs, investment trusts, individual bonds etc. What would it be?

I would go for Monks.

(They’ll be waking up on the East coast where bostonerimus will presumably choose Vanguard S&P 500 ETF.)

Comments

• Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    If I was going for S&P 500 I would go for an accumulator like CSP1 to make reinvesting the dividends more efficient.
    But I would prefer more diversity - best value is probably HMWO. Not widely traded so you have to watch the spreads when trading. But even if the spread is a bit more than the bigger ETFs you have 10 years to absorb it.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Sally57
    Sally57 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would also go for a global investment trust, however one that is more diversified in both regions and sectors so F&C (FRCL) or Bankers (BNKR) would fit the bill.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sally57 wrote: »
    I would also go for a global investment trust, however one that is more diversified in both regions and sectors so F&C (FRCL) or Bankers (BNKR) would fit the bill.
    Regionally, FRCL and MNKS are ciggy-paper close. But it does make me laugh that one of FRCL's top ten holdings is 0.82% in an emerging market investment fund. There's diversification, and then there's d---i---v---e---r---s---i---f---i---c---a---t---i---o---n.
  • ArchBair
    ArchBair Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Regionally, FRCL and MNKS are ciggy-paper close. But it does make me laugh that one of FRCL's top ten holdings is 0.82% in an emerging market investment fund. There's diversification, and then there's d---i---v---e---r---s---i---f---i---c---a---t---i---o---n.

The other difference is that FRCL invests in over 500 companies whereas MNKS is much more concentrated at around a 100.
  • aroominyork
    Options
    ArchBair wrote: »
    The other difference is that FRCL invests in over 500 companies whereas MNKS is much more concentrated at around a 100.
    Yup, but I was reflecting on holding FRCL as say 10% of your portfolio, and the Utilico EM IT comprises 0.82% of FRCL, and Utilico has 92 holdings, so the average Utilico holding is 0.0008913% of your portfolio.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Scottish Mortgage
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    B P Marsh.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    having to hold for 10 years points towards a fund of some kind, but my initial thought is still Amazon.
  • grey_gym_sock
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    But I would prefer more diversity - best value is probably HMWO.

a solid idea, but i might prefer VEVE. see the other thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5794476
  • aroominyork
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    B P Marsh.
    Now surely you're just showing off. 60% of holdings in five companies (and 25% in one), nearly all in insurance and 3.15% annual charge. But it rode out 2008 well and if you rode the discount shrinking from 65% to 15% you'd be laughing. Anyway, please explain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure