Car Sales - Fraud

P2P
P2P Posts: 37 Forumite
Hi

I m looking for some advise.

I have raised a MCOL to request a car firm returns a deposit on a car i was going to buy but they are refusing. Basically the car needed some jobs doing before i was prepared to buy it and left a deposit on the basis this work would be done but it wasn't.

From their website i have taken the address details and raised a small claim to get my money back and they haven't responded within the time frames allowed, so i have requested judgement.

Having now checked the companies address this is in fact different to where the car was seen and so i checked the details of their vat reg number and FCA. The vat and companies house details are somewhere completely different but the FCA registered address is the same as the car viewing address.

Can the small claim be re-directed to the car viewing and FCA registered address to ensure notice is served on the business that they owe this money as currently the companies website address which is who i raised the claim with does not exist!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not unusual for the Registered Office of a company to be different to its trading address,

Not quite clear how many different addresses you have got and you haven't told us if you got a receipt (and how much the deposit was?) and if so which address appears on there?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Limited companies very often use a different address for their registered office - I've always used my accountant's address in the past.

The important factor is not so much the address at which you dealt with the supplier, but that you are pursuing the correct legal entity. You need to look at the invoice you were given for that.
  • P2P
    P2P Posts: 37 Forumite
    Yes I have a receipt and the address shown on the receipt is the addressed used to file via MCOL.

The amount is £1500:00 so within the small claims threshold
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Out of interest was there a stipulated timeframe for the repairs to be completed?
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    P2P wrote: »
    Yes I have a receipt and the address shown on the receipt is the addressed used to file via MCOL.

The amount is £1500:00 so within the small claims threshold

In that case I wouldn't get to hung up on all those other addresses, if they can't make sure all their paperwork is in order and haven't got re-directs in place then that is their look-out if you get a default judgment against them.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    The thread title is "Car Sales - Fraud" but the OP is a simple question about an address.

The only fraud appears to be in the misleading title.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Car_54 wrote: »
    The thread title is "Car Sales - Fraud" but the OP is a simple question about an address.

and also their grammar since they want advice.
  • Car_54 wrote: »

and also their grammar since they want advice.

Well done guys. I guess the "Newbie" alert wasn't enough to put you off having a dig at the OP for no real reason. Sure, his title wasn't up to your standard and, yes, there was a spelling mistake - so lets not bother giving him any useful advice but instead we can make a fool out of him.

I'll remember not to give you guys any advice in the future either. Oh, and you better not make any rookie spelling mistakes because I'll be all over that.

OP - I hope you stick around despite a couple of the "less than helpful" members. As others have mentioned, you have nothing to worry about regarding the listed address. As long as you have your receipt and the claim has been logged at that address, you should be okay.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    It's not fraud. You should have done your due diligence before issuing the claim, not after.

To change the address of the Defendant so that it is properly served on the right address you need to make an application to the Court on Form N244. Cost is £255 but that is probably beyond your means both financially and mentally.

An easier route would be just to re issue.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    weejangus wrote: »
    Well done guys. I guess the "Newbie" alert wasn't enough to put you off having a dig at the OP for no real reason. Sure, his title wasn't up to your standard and, yes, there was a spelling mistake - so lets not bother giving him any useful advice but instead we can make a fool out of him.

I'll remember not to give you guys any advice in the future either. Oh, and you better not make any rookie spelling mistakes because I'll be all over that.

OP - I hope you stick around despite a couple of the "less than helpful" members. As others have mentioned, you have nothing to worry about regarding the listed address. As long as you have your receipt and the claim has been logged at that address, you should be okay.

Other than being the self appointed forum police, do you have anything useful to add?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure