Unsolicited message?

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    edited 30 January 2018 at 6:38PM
    Thanks guys! Seems like fors and against both ways. I'm not going to speculate, will see what happens in the next couple weeks.

I don't think its a good idea for you to facebook stalk and message her before you've actually spoken in person.

She'd probably just block you.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

- I'm not asking advice if I should chat to someone. I'm asking if I should drop someone an online message to someone I've never spoken to and may not cross paths with again.

Nope - definitely not. If she was keen, she would be going back to the class.

- if she doesn't know I'm going as I don't mark myself as attending officially, then she may or may not go

Then 'mark yourself' as attending (no idea what that is - an online register type thing? Just say you're going and go).

- I'm not intending on 'adding' anyone. It's more: should I message X because I quite liked them, and the feeling may possibly slightly be mutual, especially if I may not cross with them next time (of course, will wait til next time, which happens to be around Valentine's, so maybe next time+few days)

Messaging them, adding them - same level of creepiness in my book. Definitely not. If someone did that to me, I would think it was incredibly stalkerish (as mentioned above) or my BF would want to know what I'd been doing/saying to make them think I liked them enough to approach me! Very awkward if I'm there going 'I've not even spoken to the bloke!'. Again, just weird.
    I don't think it is a good idea for you to facebook stalk and message her before you've actually spoken in person.

She's probably just block you.
    Definitely.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I definitely wouldn't message her. That could come across a bit creepy as you've never spoken to her.

If she likes you that much then she is likely to come back. You may be reading something into nothing here though.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I’m in the don’t message her group

However. I’m not sure how old you are. I suspect that the majority of us are in a more senior age band than you so may have a different take on communications than those bought up in the social media era.

I assume from the “say you are going” FB Page that it is a simple matter for you to know her name. So, it would appear that you wouldn’t have had to dig to find her.

I still, personally, don’t think you should but, if you do do keep it very neutral. Waiting and seeing if she attends again is good.

I’d also echo the comments about not reading too much into a smile. In my experience men can be pretty rubbish at reading signals - and I know people who have had the same type of experiences as unholyangel.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't do Facebook etc but I'd find it creepy if someone I didn't know spent time finding me online and messaged me after a few smiles! I'd probably stop going to the class for a start.
    If there is time to chat at break / after the class have a casual chat then.
    I agree with unholyangel. Smiles can be misinterpreted. It could just be politeness.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I do think there's a generational thing going on - I wouldn't find it creepy for somebody to find my Facebook page from an event. That's kind of what it's for, isn't it, to see who else is going and have a nosy at their public profiles?!

OP, it sounds like you don't like using Facebook much but you could post a comment or two on the event's page. If your profile is pretty locked down, only what you post on the event would be viewable to the public. If she might like you too, you might find she replies and then you have a conversation started.
  • rach_k wrote: »
    I do think there's a generational thing going on - I wouldn't find it creepy for somebody to find my Facebook page from an event. That's kind of what it's for, isn't it, to see who else is going and have a nosy at their public profiles?!

I'm not that old, only mid thirties! I find it really creepy when I get a totally unsolicited message saying something like 'Hey you're really pretty would love to chat!' Its just an instant block.
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Are you considered attractive OP?

Do women usually tend to respond positively to you on the basis of your appearance alone?

If not, it may be safer to assume she was just being friendly and not message her until she's had time to get to know, and hopefully like, you.

Put your hands up.
  • NeilCr wrote: »
    I’m in the don’t message her group

However. I’m not sure how old you are. I suspect that the majority of us are in a more senior age band than you so may have a different take on communications than those bought up in the social media era.

Nope- I'm not senior and I'd find it weird and block the person! Especially if I'd never even spoken to them.
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    How old are you ? In the modern era of tinder plenty of fish etc This is a perfectly normal thing now.

Chuck her a Facebook add, and leave it if she accepts pm her if she doesn’t just move on
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure