Updated Mobile Unlocking Article discussion

Options

Comments

• sysboy
    sysboy Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    wbmis wrote: »
    Do NOT try http://www.unlockangel.com/ - ripped me off as the email returned to me advised 'ring your network provider (TMob) to obtain unlock code' - I wouldn't be using them if that was an option! I want to give my old phone to my mum with a TMob PAG SIM but when I put the SIM in it wanted the phone unlock code. It's my existing network provider with my own phone but their standard code wouldn't work so they directed me to the manufacturer (Sony Ericsson W880i) who will charge me £25 to 'flash' the phone. Any ideas?

You can try to do that by yourself freely. See the following thread.

http://gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=493507

I have unlocked my W580i successfully using this method.
  • sysboy
    Options
    T-Mobile will unlock your T-Mobile phone to any UK network if you write to them requesting an unlock. They used to charge £15 for the service but as they no longer accept Cheques, you can get it done for free.

All you need to do it write to them as the following address:

Subpin Team
    T-MobileUK
    Customer Administration
    6 Camberwell Way
    Doxford Technology Park
    Sunderland
    Tyne and Wear
    SR3 3XN

Include your Handset make & model (eg. Nokia 6120 Classic)
    Your unique IMEI number (press *#06# on your phone to get this)
    Also include a contact telephone number and your name & address (or alternatively, your email address).

Hopefully that should save some of you some searching & more importantly, money!!

Cheers,
    Tv

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
  • Laura_1236
    Options
    I have a Sony Ericsson W850i, it's on the 3 network & looking to unlock it. How did you manage to get yours done?
  • sysboy
    Options
    Laura_1236 wrote: »
    I have a Sony Ericsson W850i, it's on the 3 network & looking to unlock it. How did you manage to get yours done?

Please refer to the following thread. Hope it helpful.

http://gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=493507
  • JP5
    JP5 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I don't see how phone companies can justify charging you for an unlock code when your contract ends.

In my case I have paid T-Mobile over £500 over the past 22-24 months. I was under the impression that once you had passed you contract date the phone is yours as you have "paid" for it in your monthly tariff.

Now they want £15 to unlock my phone - rubbish (I can't use a website code as it's a Nokia 6280 which is apparently a BB5 phone :confused:).

Anyway I might give the above a quick try to see if sending a letter minus a cheque gets the code for free.

Perhaps Martins team could have a look at these as unfair charges (just like Bank Charges) where they seem to pick a random figure and charge us that. We can then all look to claim back off the thieving phone companies :mad:. (rant over)
  • younome
    younome Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Send a letter to the Subpin Team address above, and include your email address. They will email you the code within a week, free, no questions asked, while you're still in contract!!

Excellent service--for a change--from T-Mobile!!
  • moody_geezer
    Options
    i was just wondering do orange unlock their phones for free if u r on a contract or not how much would it cost does any1 know please also i have a sony erricsson w300i how can i unlock that does anyone read and answer these questions
  • toolslinger
    toolslinger Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    hi all just tried to sell an unlocked motorola u6 pebl to cex . they said they wouldn't buy the phone because they could not reset it to factory settings. they said they did not have the lock code .any help would be grateful .
  • Mr_Friendly
    Mr_Friendly Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Laika wrote: »
    On the site they said standard usb cable fine - did not offer any other alternatives. Of course, pay the money for the code and now they are saying that I need FTDI cable and they say this is my fault because it is stated on the website that I need to check what cable I should use (again, no alternatives for what cables I can use).

Went through paypal who were bloody useless as per usual and ruled in favour of seller. (They also did this to me a couple years ago when a seller sent me the wrong product entirely without letting me know because what I wanted was out of stock).

Seller has said will refund less £4.50 admin fee. What a rip off!
    Just had a look at their site and it says this on their software page:
    Ensure that you have the correct datacable to perform the unlock procedure.
    The software will indicate at the bottom of the window which cable is correct for unlocking your handset.
    Says it right there on the order page. I did see that they say the cable that comes with your handset is usually correct, but it doesn't guarantee it. It looks like they also offer you to test the software before using it and I guess if you did that the software would have indicated that you need a certain type of cable for your phone? Does it?

I sympathise with your predicament but to me it just seems like you didn't read the page properly before ordering. Did you read the software like they suggest before you bought the service and tell whether or not it was the right cable that you had?

If not then I'm not sure you have the right to complain when clearly they have everything in black and white right there.
    Dunno, but for me I always ensure I read everything I buy thoroughly before I part with my money. Stops me making a complete twit of myself further down the line if I miss something.

Just noticed that you said they are refunding you less a £4.50 admin charge? To be fair it doesn't sound much like a rip off or scam to me if they're refunding you too. £4.50 for ordering something that when you had all the tools to test if your cable would work or not before you ordered and then having to refund you doesn't sound like much to me. Granted its not a full refund but at least you're getting a refund, sounds like a case of bad customer rather than bad websites. Sorry to be harsh but if the shoe fits.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hi all just tried to sell an unlocked motorola u6 pebl to cex . they said they wouldn't buy the phone because they could not reset it to factory settings. they said they did not have the lock code .any help would be grateful .

This is nothing to do with the Network lock on the phone, the default security lock code on a Motorola is 000000, if you changed it, it will be 6 numbers of your choice, and unfortunately, to reset the Motorola security lock code if you have changed it and forgotten it the phone would need flashing to reset, something best left to an experienced unlocker/technician.
    ====
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure