PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Vanlady
    Vanlady Posts: 148 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :wave:Hello everyone,
    I'd like to join the grocery challenge for April please Elsiepac. The last time I did this challenge was in December last year, and I loved that it kept me focused and on track.
    I'm with you there too Elsiepac, I like to make meals that bit more special and with a bit more effort involved at the weekends. It's the way I was brought up too.
    Im starting at quite a decent store cupboard of dried and tinned foods so please put me down for £300 which will be for 4 adults (2 big eaters, 2 small eaters) and one cat. This will not include alcohol or meals out.
    Many thanks Elsiepac for running this thread again.
  • LauraWxx
    LauraWxx Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    April finances begin today for us as Payday, first shop from April GC budget has come in at £76.47 from Asda :j

£76.47/£500 budget
    2019 Totals: Savings: £929.53 / Mortgage OP - £746.32

Grocery challange April: £130.17of £500 target remaining
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone! Elsie, could you please put me down for $500 this April? OH will be here in NYC in a week and a half and we’ll be getting married in the last part of the month. Who knows how crazy things will get and I just want to be realistic.

How exciting for you - I hope all goes well in the lead up to it
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • MadamMim2013
    Options
    April GC will start today for me as it’s payday.. that said I’ll get payday again in a few days as I changed my job and will be getting paid 4 weekly from now on!
    £40.01 spent this morning at Sainsbobs..
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 29 March 2019 at 3:36PM
    Options
    Please count me in again for April. Aiming for £300 again. I'm going to keep chipping away at my/our habits until we are under that target. I was over target in March, but reduced my spend by £33.24 (8.32%) when compared to Feb, so I can do this!!!

My month started on Tuesday (26th) and will run until Thursday 25th April (payday 26th). Have already been spending (obviously) and been a bit naughty about it as dealing with some other stuff at the moment:

£3.49 - Subway
    £9.33 - Morrisons
    £8.80 - Lidl
    £9 - Morrisons
    £14.47 - McDonalds
    £1.85 - Sainsburys
    £14.80 - Sainsburys
    £9.40 - Sainsburys
    £16.60 - Sainsburys
    £24.13 - Morrisons

Total - £111.87/£300

Quite a lot of my budget so far. I should point out that some of this isn't really groceries, it contains mothers day gifts and some bargains I found (which includes some kids bath sets for 20p each in Sainsburys!!).

Also picked up 8 tins of alphabetti spaghetti today in Morrisons, reduced to 5p each! Date on them is March 19, but...it's tinned spaghetti! It'll keep and be just fine! They had LOADS left. 2 massive trays full when I went this morning! x
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can I join in and set our target at £200? It's me and OH at home, with his children 2-3 times a week who just do not stop eating!

Already made a start on the first week's worth:

Iceland: £37.52
    Aldi: £5.11
    B & M: £9.86

This has included the laundry and cleaning products we need for the next month or two, so happy for it to look a little higher this week.

£52.49/£200
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,560 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Budgets updated to here

Jings How exciting, hope you enjoy the time and of course congratulations!

thriftwizard Great that you have the date now and not too far away, fingers crossed it stays that way!

I have a couple of spends but will update later or tomorrow. This week has been so crazy busy and I'm so tired!!! I have all my receipts though :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Thank you @Suffolk lass and elsiepac! I keep thinking about different ways to prepare for him when he arrives. Emptying the cupboards of food would help so he can have his own space. :rotfl:
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 March 2019 at 7:40AM
    Options
    I have spent £17.10 in the SM and a further £27.14 in the Butchers. Hoping that is it until mid-month as I leave for my Mum's next week and DH flies up to join me when school breaks up. We will be in a shared holiday house that all comes out of our hols budget then until we get home. If I can keep it down for the rest of the month we can recover the ahead of average spending from March and my stores. I have been using up lots from the freezer and have resisted the temptation to restock anything except frozen spinach at this stage.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not sure about my budget this month. I'm away for 2 weeks and my Grocery spends will be significantly higher but I think I might take £60 a week from GC and top up with holiday pot money and just write it off as part of the holiday.
    With that in mind, I'm going to go for £190 to run from the 14th April to 2nd May.

Vicky x
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure