Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,688Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 12:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 9:26 AM.
Page 141
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 14th Jun 19, 10:43 PM
    • 5,950 Posts
    • 25,906 Thanks
    Mirů
    Have you tried grasping front and rear legs in different hands and stretching him like an accordion?
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Too many sharp, pointy bits in the vicinity....would probably necessitate a trip to A & E!

Today, in the community chazza I got a pack of two food bowls for cats with little feet on them, (feet on bowls not cats!). Thought they might assist the long legged, old, arthritic floofster reach his food more easily. Will wait awhile to introduce bowls to floofster as he probably needs time to recover from the recent 'new bed' trauma.
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 15th Jun 19, 9:47 AM
    • 5,950 Posts
    • 25,906 Thanks
    Mirů
    A colleague has asked if charity shops are any good for CDs - from what I've see it varies, but there appears to be almost no filtering for the exotic CDs unless the labels make it clear.
    And the pricing is usually not more than a pound each.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Most of the charity shops round here no longer take CD's or DVD's, haven't done for quite a while....they do take LP's tho. I handed in all my old LP's years ago when I no longer had anything to play them on but kept a small collection of 'special' ones. Then eventually handed those in too only to be informed later, and research confirmed, that some of them were worth a fair bit of money
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 15th Jun 19, 3:43 PM
    • 1,871 Posts
    • 2,508 Thanks
    bobsa1
    We got a few nice finds today. A Boden summer dress for me £4 and a pair of aubergine silk curtains £4.99, a superdry Henley t shirt for dd £3 and a brand new with labels Boden skirt £4. I also got a Wendy b black cashmere cardigan for £3 and 4 lovely drinking glasses 50p each. The Best Buy was an Emma bridgewater York mug brand new in box £9 I was actually looking at buying the same mug from Emma bridgewater for dd for Xmas but put it off as itís £19.99. Very pleased
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 15th Jun 19, 5:00 PM
    • 4,535 Posts
    • 42,039 Thanks
    dolly84
    Brought home a load of stuff today.

3 x paperbacks for £1, Birdsong, tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

A Crew Clothing white top, cotton jersey back and 3/4 sleeves and broderie anglais front, £2.50, Dorothy Perkins cardigan, no fastenings, black and taupe stripe, ends at waist height at the back with a gathered panel and slight waterfall front £1, BNWT Next silky mock wrap blouse in pink and grey stripes, frill to front, long sleeves with button cuff, tag price is £38, paid £3.50 for it. Banana Republic sleeveless shirt, chambray, with frill to half way down and small frill to collar £2.99, Banana Republic again, black jersey top with white flowers, sleeveless with a tie neck.

Gap supersoft cotton poloneck, grey and white stripes, skinny fit £2, H&M drapey sleeveless top in cream, with round neck which goes into an open v, neck and v piped in navy blue, F&F black top with mustard and white stripes, mock wrap, long sleeves, drapey fit with a sort of mock belt tie to one side, little gold button to back neckline and cuffs £3 and lastly a New Look soft jacket, pale grey with lovely flower and leaf design, waterfall front but still quite short £3.50.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Jun 19, 8:04 AM
    • 13,315 Posts
    • 182,831 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    A baby bouncer chair in very good condition that I got yesterday for £5.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 16th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 9,138 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I got a brilliant haul yesterday.

My local CS had a 50% off women’s clothes sale yesterday so I got:

A pair of skinny bootcut jeans (I miss these soooo much, so hard to find for my boot-wearing self!) £2
    A pair of wide leg jeans £1
    Dorothy Perkins houndstooth work cigarette trousers £2
    DP black top w/fake leather panel £2
    Boden grey wool trousers £2
    M&S summer cotton top £1.25
    Whistles pj top £1

Basically half a new work wardrobe for less than £12! Where else could u even compete with that?
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th Jun 19, 2:08 PM
    • 9,469 Posts
    • 31,750 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Please, what on earth is a cigarette trouser?

I can't compete, but Oh that man!
    In one short trip, 3 lidded and saucered soup bowls in Denby homestead brown, a glorious old Bourne 1 pint coffee pot ( ~1923 if book correct on basestamp) & 3 Denby ramekins (harlequin/spice shape but not colouring). Plus a still in its box Men's XL Marino wool thermal long sleeved top as I do borrow his & now need not! For one lad, an unused Karrimor stretchy wicking T shirt & for all who want to watch/help with the lathe, a old school face visor. (Previously we had to use goggles that steam up and don't protect the rest of your face.)

Dropped in on a charity shop was closing for refurbishment (yikes?) so he acquired a Mason Cash pudding bowl, a raffia box, a Culinare garlic press (disassembles to 3 pieces for serious cleaning), a Linex Tech drafting triangle (youngest eyed it and disappeared for several hours, then appeared like a cat who had negotiated sole possession of the dairy) & a Fiskars scissors sharpener.

He went off on a hunt & trundled back clutching a single book for himself and a Denby linen lidded sugar bowl [brand new still with the Denby label on the underside just sun bleached illegible], a Denby homestead brown notch lidded jampot & a matching 1 Pt jug.

(I’m still trying to figure what to do with the seriously distinguished suiting lengths. Other than learn to cut assemble fit & rock a really smart suit. Let alone a side-saddle habit...)
    Last edited by DigForVictory; Today at 2:14 PM.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 17th Jun 19, 3:17 PM
    • 5,950 Posts
    • 25,906 Thanks
    Mirů
    Please, what on earth is a cigarette trouser?
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    This is the best description I found....!

'Cigarette trousers. These are so called because they are straight and stop at the ankle, and not - to my slight disappointment - because they incorporate a handy pocket for your Marlboros.'

'That man' puts me to shame . My little haul today was an M & S t-shirt in a light coral shade 75p in the community shop and a BNWT and Box, Playtex cross your heart bra for £1.95 in Oxfam. Been thinking I could do with a little extra in the cantileverage department and a little less in the frippery so am pleased with this
    • Potternerd
    • By Potternerd 17th Jun 19, 3:50 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    Potternerd
    Miro: Nine years ago when we were moving I rang someone who was offering to buy LPs; he was very rude: asked my age and then said my LPs ( lots of Dylan, Leonard Cohen etc) wouldn't be worth anything ( before I had the chance to tell him lots had been inherited from older siblings or bought secondhand - Lancaster market.) So I took them to local Oxfam book and record shop where they were very grateful. I subsequently saw some of them in the window of said shop for as much as £30 each. I've never minded that I didn't get paid for them I'm just glad they went to a good cause and the rude bloke missed out!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th Jun 19, 4:36 PM
    • 9,469 Posts
    • 31,750 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Ah, thank you. The terminology of some clothing.... Makes horse tackle seem straightforward!

'That man' puts me to shame . My little haul today was an M & S t-shirt in a light coral shade 75p in the community shop and a BNWT and Box, Playtex cross your heart bra for £1.95 in Oxfam. Been thinking I could do with a little extra in the cantileverage department and a little less in the frippery so am pleased with this
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Miro, if he ever starts bringing home cantilevered support as opposed to the frippery I adore, He & I Will Have Words. Never underestimate your powers to find stunning things in fabric - I've only spent two decades plus training him & the lads in basestamps & the right bag for the job....
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 17th Jun 19, 5:58 PM
    • 5,950 Posts
    • 25,906 Thanks
    Mirů
    Miro: Nine years ago when we were moving I rang someone who was offering to buy LPs; he was very rude: asked my age and then said my LPs ( lots of Dylan, Leonard Cohen etc) wouldn't be worth anything ( before I had the chance to tell him lots had been inherited from older siblings or bought secondhand - Lancaster market.) So I took them to local Oxfam book and record shop where they were very grateful. I subsequently saw some of them in the window of said shop for as much as £30 each. I've never minded that I didn't get paid for them I'm just glad they went to a good cause and the rude bloke missed out!
    Originally posted by Potternerd

That's interesting....most of my LP's (don't they call it 'Vinyl' now? ) were Dylan, Cohen, early Dusty Springfield, Stones, Beatles & the 'merseybeat sound' groups. I did actually sell my pristine copy of Sergeant Pepper on eBay for £25 and that was over 10 years ago. It still had all the sheets of cut outs intact. Can't be faffed with selling now tho.....
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 17th Jun 19, 6:54 PM
    • 10,228 Posts
    • 16,795 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Walking down the road this afternoon I realised I didn't have a scarf, and as it's still on the chilly side and I was meeting OH off a train after 6:00pm I thought I had better see if I could find one just in case. I love fine scarves, not the long woolly ones which are okay for winter but not very versatile the rest of the year.

The first two chazzers had them priced at £3.99, £2.99 etc., but Age UK came up trumps - all their scarves were reduced to 99p each. I couldn't make my mind up so ended up with three, all gossamer fine, and long and wide enough to double over and make a pretty neckline feature. Two with exotic birds on - one on a lemon background and the other on pale turquoise, and one with black, grey and pink swirls. Very pleased with my finds, they have been hand washed and are now drip drying over the bath. I have seen similar in TK Maxx for £15+.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,752Posts Today

6,236Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin